The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 74 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I decided to build a new bike from scratch a while back. Yesterday I finished it.

View attachment 58150
I'm not into bikes (yet) not while my legs can just about still jog. But my legs are becoming so battered now. Life of football and muay Thai is really starting to take its toll. So I'm probably not too far behind.

Impressive though. That looks like an expensive one. These bikes go for thousands don't they?

I'm not into bikes (yet) not while my legs can just about still jog. But my legs are becoming so battered now. Life of football and muay Thai is really starting to take its toll. So I'm probably not too far behind.

Impressive though. That looks like an expensive one. These bikes go for thousands don't they?

To buy a new one of the same spec would probably be £3,000 to £5,000. It cost me about £500 (excluding the electric motor), by being patient and picking up all the parts on ebay.

You'd love Mountain Biking. I'd have you down as a downhill kind of guy.

My bike has never been near a mountain. As I come out of my drive, the left is uphill right is down hill. That's the decision I have as I live halfway up a fairly steep hill or halfway down a steep hill take your pick.
There is no such thing as flat roads around here, I now realise why not many people ride bikes, Brum. Apart from getting killed or seriously injured of course.

Not sure I'm with you there mate you can run and ride a bike, it's not one or the other.
You might find it doesn't feck your knees up as running does, plus you can roll down the hills and admire the views.
It's certainly not an easy alternative to running

To buy a new one of the same spec would probably be £3,000 to £5,000. It cost me about £500 (excluding the electric motor), by being patient and picking up all the parts on ebay.

Not looking for an argument, but interested to ask where you stand on cyclists and insurance.
I ask because over the weekend, as you can imagine it was packed with visitors down here and some idiot on a fairly chunky ebike was swerving around people at a fair old speed and would have caused serious injury if involved in a collision with a fit adult never mind a child or elderly person.

I've just fitted an absolute must to my bike a Crane Japanese bell, it has a ding loud enough to make even the deafest person jump. They should be compulsory when riding a bike around pedestrians.
Although I have a bike I have to say the vast majority of cyclists especially around here are twats, out in the sticks there are far more courteous cyclist mixed in with the arrogant pricks

Not looking for an argument, but interested to ask where you stand on cyclists and insurance.
I ask because over the weekend, as you can imagine it was packed with visitors down here and some idiot on a fairly chunky ebike was swerving around people at a fair old speed and would have caused serious injury if involved in a collision with a fit adult never mind a child or elderly person.

I have to be honest I'm not fit to ride on the road, I'd never insure me as that's, why I ride around next door in the cemetery. Once I've mastered it again I might venture further.
I wouldn't insure me I'm a bloody menace but I realise that

Anyway, I've been using an 8kg kettlebell now for a few weeks, probably months really.
Question do I jump to 12kg or 16kg next, I'm asking as they are half price at Argos currently?

I have to be honest I'm not fit to ride on the road, I'd never insure me as that's, why I ride around next door in the cemetery. Once I've mastered it again I might venture further.
I wouldn't insure me I'm a bloody menace but I realise that
Stick close to the cemetery mate, save the missus the cost of a hearse. 😂😂

I'm with you, to an extent. There needs to be a lot of education for cyclists, because there are more and more shared paths these days. All cyclists need to adjust their speed, depending on the conditions.

It's actually something we've been promoting here recently.

My bike has never been near a mountain. As I come out of my drive, the left is uphill right is down hill. That's the decision I have as I live halfway up a fairly steep hill or halfway down a steep hill take your pick.
There is no such thing as flat roads around here, I now realise why not many people ride bikes, Brum. Apart from getting killed or seriously injured of course.

LOL, sounds like where I live, in Sussex. The reason I thought about an electric bike at all was to get back from my Mum's after a Sunday roast without feeling sick. It's only a mile, but it's all uphill.

Take the plunge, mate. Go electric. I promise you'll never regret it!!!

LOL, sounds like where I live, in Sussex. The reason I thought about an electric bike at all was to get back from my Mum's after a Sunday roast without feeling sick. It's only a mile, but it's all uphill.

Take the plunge, mate. Go electric. I promise you'll never regret it!!!

I think you're right at 64 and overweight I'm never going to pedal up hills. I know you see old-timers riding bikes but not many and they have usually never given up riding.
My head is 25 my body isn't and I think that goes for most of us

I think you're right at 64 and overweight I'm never going to pedal up hills. I know you see old-timers riding bikes but not many and they have usually never given up riding.
My head is 25 my body isn't and I think that goes for most of us

You'd use it a lot more than you think, especially in the summer. Stronger legs are always going to help long term, as well.

Anything that is technically a vehicle and has to obey traffic laws etc should require insurance IMO.

i go skiing a bit and if you hit someone skiing and injure them you are liable so if you're intelligent you get good insurance. Insurance like car driving is N&V if you have alcohol in your system