The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 72 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Good work, 57. Just try and build it up gradually. Even if you just pop to the shops every now and then on it, you save petrol and get a little bit of fitness work in.

I know what you mean about the gears. You have what they call a 3x9 set up. I switched to a 1x11 some time ago, and it's a lot simpler. Just the rear gears to worry about. It's worth exploring if you find you like it.

Good work, 57. Just try and build it up gradually. Even if you just pop to the shops every now and then on it, you save petrol and get a little bit of fitness work in.

I know what you mean about the gears. You have what they call a 3x9 set up. I switched to a 1x11 some time ago, and it's a lot simpler. Just the rear gears to worry about. It's worth exploring if you find you like it.

A ridiculous amount of gears really, it's not as if I even have clue which one I'm in and by the time they change I've nearly fallen off I'm going so slow.
I know I'm not 16 anymore but two used to be plenty back in the day, 3rd to start off and up hills and 5th for flying.
I think once I lose the fear of falling off I'll be fine, only had one front Cogg before obviously.
The disc brakes which are hydraulic seem ok, they haven't bedded in yet. I've pumped the tyres up to 60psi on the back and 50 psi on the front, the max is 65 so it says on the tyre. My logic being my fat arse is heavier than my hands .
I've chopped 1.5 inches off the seat post so the saddle goes right down, as it was just a bit too high for my confidence level. I like to get the size 9s on terra firma without my nuts hitting the crossbar.

I suppose if I fitted the bafang drive I wouldn't really need gears with all that torque, I would have thought you could pull away in top?

A ridiculous amount of gears really, it's not as if I even have clue which one I'm in and by the time they change I've nearly fallen off I'm going so slow.
I know I'm not 16 anymore but two used to be plenty back in the day, 3rd to start off and up hills and 5th for flying.
I think once I lose the fear of falling off I'll be fine, only had one front Cogg before obviously.
The disc brakes which are hydraulic seem ok, they haven't bedded in yet. I've pumped the tyres up to 60psi on the back and 50 psi on the front, the max is 65 so it says on the tyre. My logic being my fat arse is heavier than my hands .
I've chopped 1.5 inches off the seat post so the saddle goes right down, as it was just a bit too high for my confidence level. I like to get the size 9s on terra firma without my nuts hitting the crossbar.

I suppose if I fitted the bafang drive I wouldn't really need gears with all that torque, I would have thought you could pull away in top?

Yeah, if you fitted the Bafang you lose all the front gears, as it only has one chainring, but that's no problem, as you say. The added torque means the gears you have are plenty.

The other, slightly easier and cheaper, option is the Swytch front wheel conversion kit. You'd keep all the gears, but it is so easy to fit, and it's a bit like a 4WD car, in that you get traction through the rear via peddling, and the front via the motor.

You should find out if any local shops offer a trial of an e-bike, just to see the difference one makes.

Fantastic. I bet he has still got it.
Well, he's better than me, but that's not hard. The first time he's been this year and he was taking it easy. It's really weird talking to him like just another old fella.
We had a chat about the Villa and the photo I got of him on Sunday holding the cup. Mentioned a few things about the current team but basically, we need more quality.
Yep good afternoon, I'm playing at Villa Park next Wednesday and the academy this weekend. Not bad for a fat bloke who hasn't played for over 30 years.

Well, he's better than me, but that's not hard. The first time he's been this year and he was taking it easy. It's really weird talking to him like just another old fella.
We had a chat about the Villa and the photo I got of him on Sunday holding the cup. Mentioned a few things about the current team but basically, we need more quality.
Yep good afternoon, I'm playing at Villa Park next Wednesday and the academy this weekend. Not bad for a fat bloke who hasn't played for over 30 years.

Must be great being able to chat to him. Would love to meet some of that squad to thank them.

The weights for me have moved in the right direction since I last visited here. 120kg bench for 5x5, 150kg squat for 3x3 is generally what I'm doing right now.

I also discovered something called 'cycling' which I enjoy a lot. I go out twice a week, one day will be a longer ride of 2-3 hours the other day a much shorter one but at a much higher intensity, sort of like HIIT style.

I'm trying to eat a lot more as well although this is still something I struggle with.

Great to see someone join the cycling community. The number of people taking it up during lockdowns was huge. I think governments are going to have to plan more for cycle routes than they have before.

Great to see someone join the cycling community. The number of people taking it up during lockdowns was huge. I think governments are going to have to plan more for cycle routes than they have before.
It's brilliant. I just have an old beat up mountain bike that I have not really used in a decade, I'll upgrade at some point.

I genuinely love the feel of the wind in my face and it's far less harsh on me than running.

It's brilliant. I just have an old beat up mountain bike that I have not really used in a decade, I'll upgrade at some point.

I genuinely love the feel of the wind in my face and it's far less harsh on me than running.

🤣🤣😂😂 You're preaching to the converted. I have a mountain bike and a hybrid. Getting off-road is a lot of fun, but the hybrid is faster on the road. Like you, I mix up the rides. The off-road is more anaerobic.

Let me know if you need any advise on those upgrades. I've been working in the local bike shop a little bit recently.

Cornwall council have just scrapped a large part of the new Saints trail down here.
They under estimated the cost at £19m, and it now needs a further £6m, plus the route they decided upon required compulsory purchase powers, plus demolition of property, and needless to say, property and land owners are fighting back.
Cornwall council couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in the brewery, anything they touch ends up a lash up.

It's so sad to see, isn't it. It's similar here. The one major route we need only has one viable route. Much of the land is owned by a major Tory donor, and he refuses to budge.

The thing is, both motorists and cyclists want to get off the roads. It's a win win for everyone, but so many object.

Every new road built should have a proper cycle path built along side it. it should be completely separate from the road and not just lines painted on it. This should include new motorways etc. Most existing roads are not suitable for cycling and just painting lines on is not adequate. Its the same with pavements. Take an existing pavement and just paint a line down the middle. Ridiculous.

The weights for me have moved in the right direction since I last visited here. 120kg bench for 5x5, 150kg squat for 3x3 is generally what I'm doing right now.

I also discovered something called 'cycling' which I enjoy a lot. I go out twice a week, one day will be a longer ride of 2-3 hours the other day a much shorter one but at a much higher intensity, sort of like HIIT style.

I'm trying to eat a lot more as well although this is still something I struggle with.
Are you trying to bulk? Just be careful with eating more. To bulk you only need 200 ish calories over maintenance for a clean bulk. If you go over and above that it will just go on as fat. Even smashing weights as hard as you possibly can for an hour only burns about 200 calories.
Impressive weights though. No way I could get anywhere near that. No chance.

It's so sad to see, isn't it. It's similar here. The one major route we need only has one viable route. Much of the land is owned by a major Tory donor, and he refuses to budge.

The thing is, both motorists and cyclists want to get off the roads. It's a win win for everyone, but so many object.
Badly needed here aswell because the tight Cornish roads were never intended to take the traffic they do, and are lethal for walkers and cyclist alike.

Are you trying to bulk? Just be careful with eating more. To bulk you only need 200 ish calories over maintenance for a clean bulk. If you go over and above that it will just go on as fat. Even smashing weights as hard as you possibly can for an hour only burns about 200 calories.
Impressive weights though. No way I could get anywhere near that. No chance.
To be honest there's no real precision in what I do. I guess my goal is to gain muscle mass in a relatively clean way.

I once read a paper that was a of meta analysis of papers about protein requirements to build muscle mass. It came up with a bound of 1.6g-2.2g's of protein per kilo of weight.

I actually don't weigh myself and have no idea how much I weigh right now. Assuming I'm around 13 stones (which is possible) then with some loose maths (and rough conversions) I need to eat 13stones*14pounds/2.2kilos*1.6grams ~= 133 grams of protein a day (can't remember the stones to kilos conversion which would be easier so went via pounds).

I think on most days I'm lucky to eat around 100 grams of protein. So my problem is more about not eating enough. The reason is that I can't be bothered, eating 4 times a day is tedious. So something I need to be more motivated to do.

Two thirds of cycle deaths are on country lanes. You'd think they would be in towns and cities where there is far more traffic, but it's the cars bombing around narrow lanes that cause the problem.

We desperately do need an integrated cycle lane system. The bits we have here are great, but they don't link up well with each other. I have no wish to hold up traffic. I don't do it deliberately, but where else can I go?

Cornwall would be a nightmare, witton. I'm not sure where routes could go? Like you say you'd have to buy up so much land.

If you want to see a successful project, Manchester has made a huge difference. That's the template.