The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 73 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Just got back from walking football at the academy building, bit of a balls-up we were due to play Derby and Shrewsbury. Derby pulled out due to no staff which was understandable, Shrewsbury turn up with a side of 20 to 30 somethings that play normal football. We are all over '50s with all bar two being over 60's Most around 65.
So they ended up playing a game against themselves and we played a game against ourselves. Very enjoyable time though with what are slowly becoming my new mates. I was quite happy to play them but it was deemed dangerous, which is fair enough I suppose.

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Endura Hummvee baggy cycling shorts, That's the nearest I've got to cycling this week, everytime I've thought about getting my bike outs its started raining this week

To be honest there's no real precision in what I do. I guess my goal is to gain muscle mass in a relatively clean way.

I once read a paper that was a of meta analysis of papers about protein requirements to build muscle mass. It came up with a bound of 1.6g-2.2g's of protein per kilo of weight.

I actually don't weigh myself and have no idea how much I weigh right now. Assuming I'm around 13 stones (which is possible) then with some loose maths (and rough conversions) I need to eat 13stones*14pounds/2.2kilos*1.6grams ~= 133 grams of protein a day (can't remember the stones to kilos conversion which would be easier so went via pounds).

I think on most days I'm lucky to eat around 100 grams of protein. So my problem is more about not eating enough. The reason is that I can't be bothered, eating 4 times a day is tedious. So something I need to be more motivated to do.

I have no problem eating mate, I can coach you if you like. It's easy just never pass a fridge without looking inside to see if the fridge fairy has been, never fails for me

My brother has put me on to beetroot juice. Has anyone else tried it , the benefits seem pretty good.

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/beetroot-juice-benefits#precautions

Yes, goes straight through you, quite dramatic coloured 'you know what'.

Slightly hyped unless you are a top line athlete. But yes, there is evidence it helps oxidise the blood.

Think it is slightly over thinking things in some ways, I turned off that and started just eating beetroot again!

Yes, goes straight through you, quite dramatic coloured 'you know what'.

Slightly hyped unless you are a top line athlete. But yes, there is evidence it helps oxidise the blood.

Think it is slightly over thinking things in some ways, I turned off that and started just eating beetroot again!

Well , I've never liked beetroot , so may give the juice a go see if it makes me into an elite athlete inside a week.

Last edited:
Well I did the Alcester 10k in 53 mins 20 seconds today which was slightly disappointing , but then I did do a 25 minute Park Run yesterday as well . My friend Rocket Ron won the over 60 category (he is 72) with a time of 41 mins 53 which is incredible.

Well I did the Alcester 10k in 53 mins 20 seconds today which was slightly disappointing , but then I did do a 25 minute Park Run yesterday as well . My friend Rocket Ron won the over 60 category (he is 72) with a time of 41 mins 53 which is incredible.

At your (not a dig!) age it is not in the slightest bit disappointing. It is fabulous you still bother and complete such runs

Step back and be happy

At your (not a dig!) age it is not in the slightest bit disappointing. It is fabulous you still bother and complete such runs

Step back and be happy

Yes I know , just that my last competitive 10k was a minute or so quicker , but I only entered on Wednesday so I hadn't exactly prepared 100% for this so you are right (Hate saying that lol)

Rocket Ron is a generic freak. That time for someone young is classed as an elite time is it?
At 72 that's just insane. He surely holds some kind of official world record for that? Or at least British record?

Rocket Ron is a generic freak. That time for someone young is classed as an elite time is it?
At 72 that's just insane. He surely holds some kind of official world record for that? Or at least British record?
There is one runner in the U.K faster than him. He represented the U.K in the European masters a couple of weeks ago in Italy and came 3rd in the 10k beaten by 2 70year old so they had 2 years on him.

Last edited:
There is one runner in the U.K faster than him. He represented the U.K in the European masters a couple of weeks ago in Italy and came 3rd in the 10k beaten by 2 70year old so they had 2 years on him.
I need to improve my cardio. That is ridiculous. But sometimes it is down to genetics. It just is.
Honestly now, I'm not exaggerating, I train until I'm milliseconds to blacking out. Cardio and strength.
But there is no way I'm ever breaking the 45 minute for a 10k. I've come close a few times.
So much respect, admiration and jealousy for your training partner.

I need to improve my cardio. That is ridiculous. But sometimes it is down to genetics. It just is.
Honestly now, I'm not exaggerating, I train until I'm milliseconds to blacking out. Cardio and strength.
But there is no way I'm ever breaking the 45 minute for a 10k. I've come close a few times.

Our park run group won't even go for a warm up with him as his "warm up" pace is too fast for us lol. He is a freak of nature as he never gets injured , but also he has an iron will and is ultra competitive. Been known to eyeball anyone on the start line if he thinks they are a threat.

To be honest mate genetics plays a very big part, I'm a big bloke always have been, always in the front of the 100m and 200m but last in the 400m , and never ever could do cross country or longer than 200m. I was always blowing out my backside but would beat any skinny long-distance runner over 100m
Weights I'm finding ok even at my age, again because I'm a naturally big lad. It's the way you've made it.
You never get big built long-distance runners or skinny sprinters do you?
The world's strongest man isn't going to be 11st is he , and the best marathon runner in the world isn't going to be 20st either.

Most people are somewhere in between.

Anyway, my biceps are now 14 inches just from using 5kg dumbells for a few weeks and about 50 reps every other day or two. Nothing serious but I now actually have a muscle again for the first time in years.
My theory being if I cant lose weigh I may as well bulk up the muscles insted of fat

Had the results of my knee x-ray yesterday and the locking up has been caused by a small piece of bone that is floating around under the kneecap.
I am pleased that they have found a cause of the problem.
Typically it feels a lot better than it has done for a few weeks, and doctor has said that she will get me booked in to remove it, or leave it alone until it flares up again.
As the bulk of the pain has recinded I shall go with the latter option and hold surgery back as a last resort.

Had the results of my knee x-ray yesterday and the locking up has been caused by a small piece of bone that is floating around under the kneecap.
I am pleased that they have found a cause of the problem.
Typically it feels a lot better than it has done for a few weeks, and doctor has said that she will get me booked in to remove it, or leave it alone until it flares up again.
As the bulk of the pain has recinded I shall go with the latter option and hold surgery back as a last resort.

That is good news. Very often they can't identify the exact cause, or can't do much about it. My left knee has been painful for over a year now, but it's the cycling causing it, and they can't do anything.