The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 76 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Thank you for that. I think I will pass on that, it's only for glorified dog walks. Thought there might be a reliable app or something.

An app called MapMyRun owned by Under Armour. Forget what it used to be called. It is very decent for what you require I think sir.

Mapmywalk Under Armour installed and ready to be tested very soon. Thank you.
Best laid plans and all that. Our house has a track that leads to it, ten feet drop one side, two feet drop on the other. Just about to go out on test walk at regular dog walk place, and lady who also lives along this track has reversed her car over the edge of the two feet side. Could have been worse I suppose.
Awaiting another neighbours Land Rover.

Strava is good.
I use this for my runs.
You can name parts of runs also.
So for example on my route we have nicknames on the app. Examples.
1. Run to the doctor's
2. Cardia arrest hill

Makes things a little more exciting.

It also gives you great breakdowns of part of your run and will save your top times for the whole run and sections of the run. Then when you beat your best time it will give you a star.

Does anyone on here deploy a low carb diet?

I've experimented with this over the past 3 weeks. I basically aim for no more than 130g of carbs a day sometimes I spread this over two meals (i.e. pre/ post work out) or go carbless until dinner time and get them all in then. I choose dinner time based on the idea that carbs, together with protein can increase serotonin, which is more than useful for the evening when you're trying to wind down.

To plug the gap in calories I obvious eat a lot more fat. This includes animal fat from meat, oily fish, almonds, walnuts, eggs etc. I have significantly increased the amount of vegetables I eat as well.

I've been pretty shocked at the results of this little experiment. My energy levels are significantly higher, I have less brain fog* and my stomach feels a lot more healthier, less bloated, less stodgy. The best way I can describe it is that my stomach often feels somewhat empty but not hungry. Interestingly the way my stomach responds to carbs seems to differ based on the time of day I eat them, my stomach feels a lot worse if I have a large carb meal for breakfast rather than for dinner.

Anyway I think I'll carry on with this.

*brain fog also improved by daily mediation, breathing exercises and cold showers so there's a lot of interactions going on here.

I think with diets it's whatever works for your own body. We all benefit from different ways of eating.

But rule of thumb is for either losing weight or putting on muscle they say is eat enough protein.

Protein foods burn more calories to digest (free calorie burn)
They fill you up more and for longer.
And obviously do wonders for muscle repair and growth.

But at the end of the day, for weight loss it's purely calories in Vs calories out.

Doesn't even matter if you eat while sleep walking at 3am. If your in a calorie deficit you lose weight.

It's just a balancing act finding which mix of foods make you feel healthier and gets the best results like your post above.

I find that my digestion is much better when I do exercise. I have major issues if I'm prevented from getting out for a week or so.

I suppose it means you are absorbing and using the calories you are eating.

Does anyone on here deploy a low carb diet?

I've experimented with this over the past 3 weeks. I basically aim for no more than 130g of carbs a day sometimes I spread this over two meals (i.e. pre/ post work out) or go carbless until dinner time and get them all in then. I choose dinner time based on the idea that carbs, together with protein can increase serotonin, which is more than useful for the evening when you're trying to wind down.

To plug the gap in calories I obvious eat a lot more fat. This includes animal fat from meat, oily fish, almonds, walnuts, eggs etc. I have significantly increased the amount of vegetables I eat as well.

I've been pretty shocked at the results of this little experiment. My energy levels are significantly higher, I have less brain fog* and my stomach feels a lot more healthier, less bloated, less stodgy. The best way I can describe it is that my stomach often feels somewhat empty but not hungry. Interestingly the way my stomach responds to carbs seems to differ based on the time of day I eat them, my stomach feels a lot worse if I have a large carb meal for breakfast rather than for dinner.

Anyway I think I'll carry on with this.

*brain fog also improved by daily mediation, breathing exercises and cold showers so there's a lot of interactions going on here.

Yep did a low carb diet for my diabetes on advice from the doctor. lost 5 stone in 6 months .
It's hard but it works. In saying that I'm now eating bread and spuds again and putting on weight again .
It's like any diet , you have to keep doing it and make it normal . Trouble is you can't live on 800 calls a day for ever . Well you can but by Christ it would be a boring existence