The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

I feared the worst when he went off today and its the first time I have ever said that.

As someone who has been very critical of him I have to say love him or loath him I think our best 11 right now necessitates him playing. There was a clear lack of threat when he went off and without him I struggle to see a system or way of playing that isnt 'get it to Jack' or 'McGinn will win this and barge past a few lads'.

The way Grealish plays it needs players who will get in the box or charge past him. McGinn is the only player who gets into the box, Wesley plays with his back to goal so without Hourihane I struggle to see where chances are created. Unless we get the ball to the byline Wesley is unlikely to be in a good position for a chance.

I feared the worst when he went off today and its the first time I have ever said that.

As someone who has been very critical of him I have to say love him or loath him I think our best 11 right now necessitates him playing. There was a clear lack of threat when he went off and without him I struggle to see a system or way of playing that isnt 'get it to Jack' or 'McGinn will win this and barge past a few lads'.

The way Grealish plays it needs players who will get in the box or charge past him. McGinn is the only player who gets into the box, Wesley plays with his back to goal so without Hourihane I struggle to see where chances are created. Unless we get the ball to the byline Wesley is unlikely to be in a good position for a chance.
I would also add to that the free kick that was made for Connors left boot that Targett managed to stick somewhere in the upper Holte.
Should not have been subbed today.

I like Doug. He has a bit of magic about him but he also has a loose pass in him too. Hourihane gets some stick on here but he's in our best XI at the moment.

Because he does absolutely nothing for 85 minutes, then he gets the ball at the edge of the area or for a free kick and pops a goal in.

He doesn't dribble, he doesn't tackle, he's not much of a passer unless he has all the time in the world on the ball, he's not great at pressing or marking, he doesn't do much running, he's like the invisible man. He's my favourite bad player of all the bad players we've ever had at Villa though ?
May I concur with the above comment..

disallowed goal aside he was a bloody liability today.
Must be the slowest player in the top flight.
Total wank
I have to agree. He was pathetic. I know he offers a genuine goalscoring opportunity with free kicks but apart from that he was shocking

Total wank
FFS pal, wind it in. Wesley will score enough goals to keep us up and if he does all of this seasons expenditure is covered, give the 22 year old a chance for God's sake.

Would you care to read what thread you're in PAL!
Chillax 57, we won today ?. I get all the debates about the merits of our players. We will play swapsies in January and hopefully improve the squad again. Until then Conor (and Wes) are part of the squad and will be utilised. Can't wait to see the next stage of our evolution personally and being 11th in the league (and above Manure) might shut Alan Brazil et al up and talk about additions to our squad, rather than who will be plucked from it.

Plenty of players to dig out today. Unfair to single out Connor. But the game was bypassing him first half much like most of our midfield.

The set up and system was all wrong . We never got to grips with their touchline hugging wingers and never engaged them until they were deep in our half.

Plenty of players to dig out today. Unfair to single out Connor. But the game was bypassing him first half much like most of our midfield.

The set up and system was all wrong . We never got to grips with their touchline hugging wingers and never engaged them until they were deep in our half.
So you are crediting Brighton with a good game plan, not slagging our players. This will never catch on Melon :slap:

It is the Hourihnae thread though and he was shit, yes he wasn't the only one and they were subbed too.
The problem is the 3 that came on are the only 3 who might make a difference the rest are there in case of injury.

It is the Hourihnae thread though and he was shit, yes he wasn't the only one and they were subbed too.
The problem is the 3 that came on are the only 3 who might make a difference the rest are there in case of injury.
Brought in a fair few in the summer 57. Most would be seen as a success (so far). We are a team still in transition, so there will be more coming in Jan to improve the squad again. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say and we are far from the finished article. Can't do anything until the window opens though.

Not quite sure what Connor's role was today, and I'm not sure he was either. So want him to be a better player. Good at dead balls, but he was a passenger today.

Connor did not play well however you could level that at half the team today? As i have said before he makes the most of what he has. He lacks pace mostly im afraid for this level. More worrying was the total lack of urgency right form the off today. Very strange.

Total wank
Paul McGrath and Bobby Moore could barely run but we're both candidates for a world 11.Much rather have Connor taking all attacking area free kicks and corners. His stats are impressive and the comparison to Frankie Lampard is of course over the top but are Jota, Trez or el Ghazi earning their .corn . Just think that Connor could be a real threat with a more clued up centre forward.

Paul McGrath and Bobby Moore could barely run but we're both candidates for a world 11.Much rather have Connor taking all attacking area free kicks and corners. His stats are impressive and the comparison to Frankie Lampard is of course over the top but are Jota, Trez or el Ghazi earning their .corn . Just think that Connor could be a real threat with a more clued up centre forward.

Obviously he looks better on TV than he does trundling about in from of me in the first half, he does very little mate.
Forget the odd good free-kick I get that, his overall game was piss poor.
When I see a top-notch player like Luiz sitting on the bench and this one-footed wonder on the field my blood boils.
He needs to get involved and just doesn't have the ability.

Obviously he looks better on TV than he does trundling about in from of me in the first half, he does very little mate.
Forget the odd good free-kick I get that, his overall game was piss poor.
When I see a top-notch player like Luiz sitting on the bench and this one-footed wonder on the field my blood boils.
He needs to get involved and just doesn't have the ability.
I have a brilliant reply 57 but just about to watch Motd.

He was a complete passenger in the midfield today. Unlucky with the disallowed goal but missed a sitter second half. Deserved to get hauled off. Luiz should start over him next week.