The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

Weren't we able to get him and Lansbury for relatively cheap because they were both out of contract that summer?

Haha hes not bad for the championship. Neill Taylor is a championship level Danny Rose!

That's just it Taylor wasn't a problem according to many on here even some thought he was doing a good job and deserved his place etc, 2 games of Matt Targett and it's Neil who? I just think a couple of games with SJM and Jack supported by Marve and Dougie and it will be Conn-er Who? (ra han)

Because he does absolutely nothing for 85 minutes, then he gets the ball at the edge of the area or for a free kick and pops a goal in.

He doesn't dribble, he doesn't tackle, he's not much of a passer unless he has all the time in the world on the ball, he's not great at pressing or marking, he doesn't do much running, he's like the invisible man. He's my favourite bad player of all the bad players we've ever had at Villa though ?
He does absolutely nothing.
Do you go to games, and if you do do you watch them when you go.
Amazing statement.

That's just it Taylor wasn't a problem according to many on here even some thought he was doing a good job and deserved his place etc, 2 games of Matt Targett and it's Neil who? I just think a couple of games with SJM and Jack supported by Marve and Dougie and it will be Conn-er Who? (ra han)

Hourihane is certainly under pressure to justify his place, as they all are. Doug has a great style about him but that back heel still haunts me.

I've been trying to figure out who the one player is who I would compare our Connor to, who does the same kind of job for his club and yet gets adulation rather than criticism.

The name I came up with was Christian Eriksen.

Now before you laugh, look at their goals and assist stats over the past 3 seasons -

Hourihane -

2019/20 - 1 goals and 1 assist in 274 minutes
2018/19 - 8 goals and 11 assists in 3,318 minutes
2017/18 - 11 goals and 2 assists in 3,688 minutes

Eriksen -

2019/20 - 1 goal 1 assist in 515 minutes
2018/19 - 8 goals and 12 assists in 2,772 minutes
2017/18 - 10 goals and 10 assists in 3,226 minutes

Pretty similar overall. But bare in mind Eriksen is playing in a much better team who attack more often and is surrounded by much better players.

If you aren't convinced by simple goals/assists stats, then we can drill a little further -

Taking the last 3 seasons as a whole and averaging out............

Tackles per game -

Connor 1.47
Eriksen 1.33

Clearences per game -

Connor 1.2
Eriksen 0.4

Dribbled past per game -

Connor 0.87
Eriksen 1.07

Blocks per game -

Connor 0.1
Eriksen 0.03

Times dispossesed per game -

Connor 0.37
Eriksen 1.23

Bad Control per Game -

Connor 0.7
Eriksen 1.83

Pass Success Percentage -

Connor 86.53%
Eriksen 81.87%

Now I know you'll throw in the fact they were playing in different leagues but that's besides the point. I'm not saying Connor is better than Eriksen, I'm saying he is a similar type of player and assessing each players worth to their team.

You can't say all Connor does is score and assist but is useless for the other 85 minutes, as if you said that about him you'd have to say the same about Eriksen given the stats above. And I don't hear anyone saying that about Eriksen.

Fact is Connor is a very good player at the role he does.

I was actually thinking about comparable midfielders too Deano. But I am too lazy to look up the stats. :grinning::grinning:

I was actually thinking about Lampard. Now I know Lampard played at the highest level for many years - but purely in terms of style there is some validity to a comparison, especially given the expectation that Hourihane gets from some fans. Lampard was purely about getting forward and scoring goals. He didn't tackle much, wasn't blessed with pace, and relied on players like Mikel and Essien to do the "dirty work" behind him.

Possibly my favourite current villa player. Adds not only goals and assists but also balance to the shape of the team.
Nn
Hourihane is certainly under pressure to justify his place, as they all are. Doug has a great style about him but that back heel still haunts me.[/QUOTE. Ok,it's 0-0 in the European cup final versus Barcelona. Last minute and Jack earns a free kick on the edge of the box . Which Villan would you like to take the free kick.Thought so, Connor Hourihane.

Not many people said Taylor wasn't a problem, just that Targett hadn't yet done enough to take the shirt. Targett in pre-season was poor and against Crewe was not yet up to speed and went off injured. Taylor had done an adequate job. Targett has now recovered from injury and gotten up to speed and has earned the right to play. He's a better player than Taylor but had to show that before he got a start in the league. Same situation with Guilbert - just took him a little less time to adjust to replace Elmo.
Even Dean Smith said that it had taken a while for Targett to adjust to what he wanted. It was shrewd and sensible management from Dean Smith NOT to throw all the new signings in together, but give them time to learn, develop and integrate. Marvelous is another example of that.
Remember the game when Bruce stuck in all of his new signings at once - Bjarnasson, Lansbury, Hourihane.... we got turned over 3-1.

Stopped reading at that point. Have you not read the site rules? You NEVER pay a compliment to deanovilla or Mike_Field.
I'd just like to congratulate Mike Field and Deanovilla for their consistently excellent contributions to this old geezers journal
:contract:
H

With plenty of Republic of Ireland fans expressing their surprise and frustration that Aston Villa midfielder Conor Hourihane was not selected in the starting line up for their most recent European Championship 2020 qualifier against Switzerland, former right back Alan Hutton has stated that he believes head coach Dean Smith would’ve been secretly delighted with that.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-to-prove-after-international-disappointment/