The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

I bet he'd score more goals, played up front, than any of our strikers.

He is certainly more dangerous than any of our strikers altho its the runs that get the goals and that all comes from playing deeper.

--

If we want to move up the table and consolidate a place in the league eventually he needs to make way but right now I think he is important for staying up. I've changed my mind on the lad so much but basically in-spite of his limitations he is 100% a key player because of how poor our wide players and centre forwards are.

Conor is a threat because he knows where he needs to be when we are on the attack. A lot of players don't.

Wonder if today's performance was a bit of a reaction after the internationals. Maybe even McGinn wasn't at his most effective.

Conor is a threat because he knows where he needs to be when we are on the attack. A lot of players don't.

Wonder if today's performance was a bit of a reaction after the internationals. Maybe even McGinn wasn't at his most effective.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Connor has limitations,of course,but he has a goal in him. Pointless asking him to do the box to box stuff but allow him the freedom to play in a more forward role and he has proven,over several seasons that he is an asset. I like luiz too but he also has weaknesses. A Peter Withe type centre forward would bring the best out of Connor.

Conor has been given a new contract hasn't he? I think the powers that be see more in him than we do. We also don't currently have a direct replacement in the squad.

For Hourihane to play in a more advanced role we'd have to drop Jack or McGinn. Hourihane can't beat a man, can't create unless he has no pressure on him and he's too slow to play that far forward.

He will always be useful to have around because he is a goal threat and his set plays are usually good but at this level you need more and he doesn't have it.

For Hourihane to play in a more advanced role we'd have to drop Jack or McGinn. Hourihane can't beat a man, can't create unless he has no pressure on him and he's too slow to play that far forward.

He will always be useful to have around because he is a goal threat and his set plays are usually good but at this level you need more and he doesn't have it.
Don't agree JW. It's our ineffective wide men who we need to sort. Playing two at this level is brave but leaves us too exposed too often . We saw yesterday that Connor is a goal threat and but for the vagaries of VAR would have netted again.

If you didnt like him before, you're going to hate him now.

Splashed across the papers today, Hourihane quoted as saying it's only a matter of time before Grealish leaves for a "big club" because hes too good for us.

Why is this clown even still at our club? Surely someone like Stoke or Wigan would take him off our hands?

If you didnt like him before, you're going to hate him now.

Splashed across the papers today, Hourihane quoted as saying it's only a matter of time before Grealish leaves for a "big club" because hes too good for us.

Why is this clown even still at our club? Surely someone like Stoke or Wigan would take him off our hands?
While I think it's ill-advised of Hourihane to come out and say this in public, who can argue with him?

We are shite, still display a small-time attitude and plenty on here have spent the season saying how jack needs to leave to fulfil his potential and that being at Villa is holding him back.

So I don't really get all the fuss (not aimed at you, just in general).

Well done Conor, that’s the way to get the fans on side. I don’t disagree with him, but we fund Conor’s wages so he shouldn’t be touting our players away publicly.

If Conor wasn’t all round so shit along with about 7-8 others, Jack wouldn’t be head and shoulders above all of them (bar SJM), would he Conor?

The biggest 50/50 bottler at the club.

And while we are talking about players being too good for a club lets not forget that you Conor are at a club that is far too big for a very limited footballer like yourself so :wave:

While I think it's ill-advised of Hourihane to come out and say this in public, who can argue with him?

We are shite, still display a small-time attitude and plenty on here have spent the season saying how jack needs to leave to fulfil his potential and that being at Villa is holding him back.

Because its disrespectful to the football club, the fans, and the other players. It fuels speculation on transfers. Its pathetic.

You dont see Lingard coming out and saying Pogba is too big for United or Albrighton coming out and saying Maddison is too good for Leicester. I hate it. If I were manager he would be packing his bags.

While he should of kept his mouth shut either way, I don't think he meant it as is.

He said too good for 'this team' not the club. It's a bit of a difference, and who could argue that he's wrong? Jack is too good to be at the bottom of the table playing with some of these players.

But again, why players have to say these things in interviews is beyond me. Just shut the fuck up.

I did read somewhere (sorry for being so vague!) that Conor and Jack share the same football agent so he probably knows Jack is going and anyway, from the gossip, I've heard (and I don't mean the B'ham Mail) Jack will be in a Manchester United shirt next season?

Personally, I'm over the love in with Jack at the Villa and it's time he did leave anyway.

Last edited:

It's not just ill-advised, it's plain stupid. The players aren't as poor as he implies, even if performances have been disappointing. Talking of the future, how good we are depends a lot on what happens before next season. The owners have big ambitions, the clout to support those visions, and I don't see them letting up on trying to realise those visions. That has implications all round. One is that if we're still in the PL then Connor may be the one to leave.

I don't rate him, nothing to do with his comments, he's basically League One/ Championship standard at absolutely everything other than shooting and set pieces.

Should not be playing at this level.

It's undermining and IMO can contribute to a loss of focus. If I had a colleague at work telling me I should be at a much better company it may make me think twice.

I did read somewhere (sorry for being so vague!) that Conor and Jack share the same football agent so he probably knows Jack is going and anyway, from the gossip, I've heard (and I don't mean the B'ham Mail) Jack will be in a Manchester United shirt next season?

Personally, I'm over the love in with Jack at the Villa and it's time he did leave anyway.

Yes, and they have talked about having a good understanding on the pitch as well.

And same re the love in.

And to be fair, I like Hourihane, he might be limited but not as limited.

And although I haven't read the comments, if he says Jack has to move, he does, if he wants to test himself at a higher level, I have no idea if he will do a Benteke and find out what it is like to be a small fish in a big pond, or do a Yorke/Young/Barry etc and actually win things. I suspect the former but that is because I am so pissed off with his stupidity I might be being mean! :lol:

Oh and I don't think he has undermined anything, not at all, nowhere near as much as Jack undermined this great club anyway. We have been piss poor all season (in my ever so humble) so you can't really undermine anything that poor.