The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

I don’t like that he’s talking about players getting “a big move”, it’s poor wording to say the least, however I can imagine it was a throw away line in a wider conversation and obviously that’s what’s been picked up as the headline.

Of course Jack Grealish is too good for us compared to the other players in the squad and considering our league position - it would be stupid to pretend otherwise.

It's undermining and IMO can contribute to a loss of focus. If I had a colleague at work telling me I should be at a much better company it may make me think twice.

He'd be telling you that so you'd leave and he'd have your job or thinks he would

Imagine if Dean Smith or John Terry made that comment they'd be up before Purslow and given at least a very stiff talking to.

If Jack leaves it will be because he's had to carry players like Hourihane and several others all season.

Players and coaches need to keep quiet about their own personal views especially players who aren't really good enough to play premier league let alone this great Club.
Sooner these idiots who don't think we are a big club fuck off back to piss pot clubs Barnsley or Plymouth the better

I have read the article before commenting.

Cannot argue with the content of what he said.

BUT.

Shut up you thick dick. Not the right time or place to say it. In fact i would argue that a player should never go public about a team mate like this.
First thing I would do if I was Dean Smith right now is release a public statement saying players like Grealish will not be leaving this football club and instead players who are more equal to him in ability will be joining in the place of players like Conor fucking Hourihane.

He can't release a statement like that, because chances are, he will be leaving. Or in my humble, I would be shocked if he stayed. Meh. Whatever! LOL

If grealish was 21 I would want to keep him a bit longer but we are a bottom 6 team that isn't going to trouble the top 6 for a while, unless we end up back in the championship of course.

It's undermining and IMO can contribute to a loss of focus. If I had a colleague at work telling me I should be at a much better company it may make me think twice.

Shouldn't be talking about his colleagues like that. Simple. Whether it's Jack being so good, or the others not being good enough. Keep it in the dressing room.

Maybe Connor is angling for a move to a bigger club :lol:

As for Jack, we know he has great skills. But he needs to improve a lot to be a top player. Far too often he doesn't influence games when he could. He slows the game down by waiting for the tackle, when a quick incisive pass would be better. And so on. Maybe he'd learn quicker at a club with different coaching. Maybe he'd learn quicker here with a different coach.

Shouldn't be talking about his colleagues like that. Simple. Whether it's Jack being so good, or the others not being good enough. Keep it in the dressing room.

Maybe Connor is angling for a move to a bigger club :lol:

As for Jack, we know he has great skills. But he needs to improve a lot to be a top player. Far too often he doesn't influence games when he could. He slows the game down by waiting for the tackle, when a quick incisive pass would be better. And so on. Maybe he'd learn quicker at a club with different coaching. Maybe he'd learn quicker here with a different coach.
He's come on leaps and bounds under Smith, why are you doubting his coaching?

He's come on leaps and bounds under Smith, why are you doubting his coaching?

I thought he was worthy of an international place after he came back from injury under Bruce leading up to the Fulham play off final. Then he got even better over the course of last season. This season he's somehow taken himself to a completely different level. He could walk into nearly any club side on the planet based on his form this season.

Whatever you might say about Smith and Bruce before him you can't say that Jack hasn't flourished under them and become a much better player.

I thought he was worthy of an international place after he came back from injury under Bruce leading up to the Fulham play off final. Then he got even better over the course of last season. This season he's somehow taken himself to a completely different level. He could walk into nearly any club side on the planet based on his form this season.

Whatever you might say about Smith and Bruce before him you can't say that Jack hasn't flourished under them and become a much better player.

I did a double-take then I thought you were on about Hourihane :ROFLMAO:

It's hard to keep influencing a game when you're surrounded by shite in a shite set up. By right Grealish just being on the ball should be creating loads of space for others, but no one has the ability and intuition to do anything with it.

To my mind Grealish has done as well as possible this season, given the quality of his team mates and the quality of the tactics here I genuinely do not think Grealish could have done any more any better.

In terms of the coaching, I haven't really seen anyone get better this season other than Grealish and that could be as much down to Grealish as an individual than coaching. No one else has demonstrably improved from the first game of the season. Chris Wilder is able to get average players playing extremely well with tactical nous and coaching, Smith isn't good enough to do that.

It's hard to keep influencing a game when you're surrounded by shite in a shite set up. By right Grealish just being on the ball should be creating loads of space for others, but no one has the ability and intuition to do anything with it.

Chris Wilder is able to get average players playing extremely well with tactical nous and coaching, Smith isn't good enough to do that.

Agree with the first point. And the subject of this thread is the prime example of the intuition you mention and it is my biggest criticism of him. Connor passes and stands still and very rarely offers himself as an option unless it is in an easy area of the pitch with no opponents around him. I've always said can't argue with his goals/assists but if they don't happen week in and week out ( and if they did he would be playing at the Nou Camp) he offers little.

As for Wilder. I have always thought it is a poor comparison because of the time he has spent at Sheff united compared to Deano at villa. Wilder has had several years to develop players, style and philosophy at Sheff United all while being successful. And the players he subsequently buys will fit that .
Deano had 2/3 of a season with someone elses players then most of them went. Had to get a whole new team in for this season . Very hard to judge in my humble whether these players are any good as they have been all thrown in at once and secondly whether Smith can improve players as he hasn't had a huge amount of time with any squad, last seasons or this.

Too me this season will always come down to too much inexperience in one hit, mainly from players we bought but also from the manager in his set up in games (too open). That is the downfall

Think Connor's problem is that at a given moment he tends to be unsure of whether he should be attacking or defending, and falls between the two.

Conor's problem is a lack of intelligence and ability to get involved. He seldom gets into good positions to receive the ball and seldom demands it. He is one of the most passive players I've ever seen in general play and for me that's a spineless way to be on a football pitch.

BM have run a piece today that suggests Hourihane’s agent is putting feelers out for a potential move to Turkey. Besiktas and Trabzonspor being the sides mentioned with the latter, managed by Eddie Newton, the stronger likely destination.

With a year left on the player’s deal and only a peripheral role likely to play next season, I can see some plausibility behind this story.

BM have run a piece today that suggests Hourihane’s agent is putting feelers out for a potential move to Turkey. Besiktas and Trabzonspor being the sides mentioned with the latter, managed by Eddie Newton, the stronger likely destination.

With a year left on the player’s deal and only a peripheral role likely to play next season, I can see some plausibility behind this story.

There always seem to be transfer rumours about us and Turkish clubs. I doubt there is much truth in it. Whilst Conor may not be a starter in most matches, he will sometimes come off the bench and start against the weaker teams. I would much rather see us off load the likes of Lansbury, Hogan, Kalinic, Jota who offer us absolutely nothing.