The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 80 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

In the past field our second string and they'd look like strangers. Even in better performances they'd compete for 55 minutes and then give way, accepting the plucky losers accolade.

This wasn't a plucky losers performance; it was a fighting one. We got back into the game and it could have gone either way. Surprised Ashley fluffed the penalty though. Surprised Nakamba was asked to take one; nothing wrong with the shot but maybe the keeper read it too easily.

Whatever, there's a whole lot right with the squad at the moment. Dean was right to pick this team; there was risk, but these players had to be played.

Archer did fine considering; leading the line against Chelsea a big ask. His two chances were not easy and he was under pressure; this was probably his first taste of PL-level football and the speed of it. His goal was a worldy; sheer class. Can't wait to see more.

Dean maybe could have done a tiny bit more to get us through tonight but fuck me how can anyone say we're not going the right way under him.

We've got a bunch of young lads actually being brought through the right way and they seem to be improving. Archer was nowhere and on no one's radar a month or two ago. Now he's elevated himself to 3rd choice probably.

Ramsey looked like just a hard worker last year but now he's grabbing the ball and taking it forward. Defenders who haven't really played come in and do a solid job.

Edit: and one other thing, I wouldnt be against Conte coming in but he isnt going to progress the ideals and interests of the club in the same way Dean is. I don't think we'd see these kids doing what they're doing without Dean or at least maybe not this early.

Yeah, without question and maybe I'm over thinking it.

But put Ollie or Ings on the bench and the message to Archer is 'I expect I'll need to sub you'. That difference in mindset walking back in the dressing room and challenging Archer to be better as opposed to subbing him expecting him to fail, is massive.

We could've got through with a different squad but these youngsters should be going home high with disappointment, questioning their mistakes which will drive them to improve.

A Conte et al would never have made that decision tonight - tonight wasn't about this season, it was about the ones to come and that's why I'm quite bouyant.

I'd say this selection answers the batshit DS is about to be sacked because the brown sauce in the canteen gave us an idea for an article brigade in the media.

Just heading back, great performance from the young lads and some of the reserve brought in. We can be proud tonight, and what an atmosphere :utv:

Archer played really well, intelligent player held the ball up surprisingly well at times.

Thought Marvellous lived up to his name, had a really good game. Hause as well played well, great tackle at the end.

The fact Chelski had to bring on a £100m player to try and win it says it all.

Last edited:
If anyone has played FIFA games, who was holding down the button on Steer when the Chelsea players we’re running up? He moved too early and they just passed about three in. My mate reckoned they were shit penalties but they didn’t need to be good.

Just heading back, great performance from the young lads and some of the reserve brought in. We can be proud tonight, and what an atmosphere :utv:

Archer played really well, intelligent player held the ball up surprisingly well at times.

Thought Marvellous lived up to his name, had a really good game. Hause as well played well, great tackle at the end.

The fact Chelski had to bring in a £100m player to try and win it says it all.

Hause and Konsa are my favourite CBs. Tuanzebe looks crap.

Shakespeare on Archer, from the Villa site:
“Cameron’s come from nowhere. From catching the eye in pre-season to scoring the hat-trick at Barrow," he said.

“He can be really pleased with his overall performance today - the work that he did without the ball and the work he did to stop them playing through the lines.

“He scored a great goal and he can be happy with that.”

It's his overall game as well as scoring class goals which bodes well for the future. Full marks to Dean and Shaky in giving him and other players the chance.

Such a shame we haven’t got 5 penalty takers like Anwar. Also it might have been useful to have had Martinez on the bench, just to have been able to bring him on for the penalty scenario. His presence and reputation would, I’m sure, put an element of doubt in the minds of the Chelsea penalty takers.