The Cameron Archer Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Cameron Archer Thread

Archer has a lot of potential and he's scoring goals which is great, but, I also think that we need to be realistic about his prospects, we wouldn't be able to expect him to play a 38 game season at Premier League level, and yes yes, I know if you are good enough you are old enough etc etc, but he will have inconsistency in his game.

Personally I think he would benefit from a full season loan where he can play a number of games at a high level. PNE fans said they saw a tail off in his form from late March onwards as he looked fatigued, by going out on loan it would get him accustomed to a full campaign at the top level.

Last edited:
Send him to a promoted club or a team challenging the top of the Championship if we are to send him out. We need to see whether he can handle the pressure etc. All signs suggest yes but nobody knows until he's tried. Too risky to sit him on our bench in my opinion. But who am I eh :D

Archer has a lot of potential and he's scoring goals which is great, but, I also think that we need to be realistic about his prospects, we wouldn't be able to expect him to play a 38 game season at Premier League level, and yes yes, I know if you are good enough you are old enough etc etc, but he will have inconsistency in his game.

Personally I think he would benefit from a full season loan where he can play a number of games at a high level. PNE fans said they saw a tail off in his form from late March onwards as he looked fatigued, by going out on loan it would get him accustomed to a full campaign at the top level.

This is probably the best and most realistic point anyone has made which tbf lends credence to the idea he should only be seen as a rotational option. Thats the difference between him and JJ right now. JJ has half a season and a full season behind him vs. Archer who barely has half a season. He's unlikely to be able to match the intensity of the EPL week in week out.

TBH I love the idea of binning Watkins and Ings and bringing in a true quality CF with Archer as backup. Unfortunately, that's just highly unrealistic, shifting Watkins seems doable but not Ings.

This is probably the best and most realistic point anyone has made which tbf lends credence to the idea he should only be seen as a rotational option. Thats the difference between him and JJ right now. JJ has half a season and a full season behind him vs. Archer who barely has half a season. He's unlikely to be able to match the intensity of the EPL week in week out.

TBH I love the idea of binning Watkins and Ings and bringing in a true quality CF with Archer as backup. Unfortunately, that's just highly unrealistic, shifting Watkins seems doable but not Ings.
That's how I see it, if you meant PL. His game time needs to be managed. But bringing on a player who knows where trhe net is for the final 25 minutes has attractions, especially with the quality players we have being able to feed him.

So if you were Stevie G and you have 38 games to save your career as a manager which is basically what he has, you would playing a 20-year-old striker with no experience .
That's all I'm getting at. SG is paid to win games, if we wanted to develop the under-21s we'd have kept Deano and been content with 14th place for the next 3 seasons whilst we see if they can cut the mustard.
so much wrong here i don't know where to start.
1) he doesn't have 38 games. He has about 12 at the start of next season to prove himself. we cannot have another indifferent start. we cannot be losing every other game anymore.
2) If we'd kept "Deano" we now be a championship side.
3) Archer hardly has "no experience"

so much wrong here i don't know where to start.
1) he doesn't have 38 games. He has about 12 at the start of next season to prove himself. we cannot have another indifferent start. we cannot be losing every other game anymore.
2) If we'd kept "Deano" we now be a championship side.
3) Archer hardly has "no experience"

Archer has played 27 mins of PL football

Now for all the hype over Cameron and his 2 goals, I see JJ with the motm award for the u21's the other night. A lad that is still so underrated by many Villa fans
Agree - definitely had enough games last game and faded slightly with an injury to boot - be bloody amazing having Ramsey and Archer playing in the first team surrounded by the quality experienced internationals we are signing