The Cameron Archer Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

The Cameron Archer Thread

As i see it, Archer will be staying if we dont buy another CF. If we do he will be going on loan again. However no point buying another " decent" PL centre forward.. It will be one to go straight in the team otherwise its pointless. They dont come cheap though.

As i see it, Archer will be staying if we dont buy another CF. If we do he will be going on loan again. However no point buying another " decent" PL centre forward.. It will be one to go straight in the team otherwise its pointless. They dont come cheap though.

Could you pick out a PL striker that you would want apart from Kane?

Last season, all of the strikers in the league were rubbish, not just our two.

That's why I don't think we'll sign a CF, we're highly unlikely to attract anyone that's clearly better than what we have. I think the hope is that we'll finish much higher this season and that a greater upward trajectory opens up the market for a real top-quality striker. At which point we probably give Ollie the bullet as out of all the CFs he is the one that least suits a possession-based game. And he'll probably fetch us at least 35M because he is proven to score.

In my hypothetical scenario, we finish in the top half (hopefully 8th) and we sign Tammy in the summer for 60-80M, we then sell Watkins for 40M ending up with Tammy at a net spend of 20-40M.

Watkins is a square peg I just don't see how he fits and SGs positive words are just damage limitation to his value. I expect Archer to stay this season and by the end of the season, he'll be the one coming when we need a goal. I think Ings will have a good season 12-15 goals, Ollie will get 8-10 due to more limited game time and Archer probably 6-8 as I see him getting 1000-1500 minutes of football.

Pure guesswork of course but I just think we don't have the draw to get someone of DC or Kamaras ability uptop nor do we have the room in the squad with our bloated attacking roster. Think about it we still have KD and Traore, we don't know if Bailey will work out and then after that, we have Archer, Ings, and Watkins. Not to mention you've still got Coutinho and Emi2 as other attacking options and Bidace too (even Carney but who knows what position he plays anyway). And I almost forgot we still havn't sold AEG. Even with the new rules we still have 3 players too many in that area of the pitch and they're just a huge drain right now.

Last edited:
He looks like a more capable finisher than Watkins and Ings to be honest. I think he's capable of playing a fair few games and ousting more established options as the season goes on.

He has the look of a genuine natural finisher, the other two strikers we have don't.

He looks like a more capable finisher than Watkins and Ings to be honest. I think he's capable of playing a fair few games and ousting more established options as the season goes on.

He has the look of a genuine natural finisher, the other two strikers we have don't.

I'd say he's a more natural striker than Watkins who has been manufactured, his finishing is Ings like ie he finds the net without having to think too much.
The problem is none of them can lead the line, which is a big problem if the opposition stops us from playing out from the back and make us launch it .

I'd say he's a more natural striker than Watkins who has been manufactured, his finishing is Ings like ie he finds the net without having to think too much.
The problem is none of them can lead the line, which is a big problem if the opposition stops us from playing out from the back and make us launch it .
He has a sort of Andy Cole/ Pipo Inzaghi quality to him. He will miss some chances, but he's constantly getting into good positions, other strikers don't get into those positions as often in the first place so when they miss a good chance they don't give themselves as many opportunities to make up for it.

He has a sort of Andy Cole/ Pipo Inzaghi quality to him. He will miss some chances, but he's constantly getting into good positions, other strikers don't get into those positions as often in the first place so when they miss a good chance they don't give themselves as many opportunities to make up for it.

I agree he made 3 chances for himself with his natural striking ability and a desire to score. Ings had one and Watkins had the one where he air shot the cross that Archer put away.
I think we've been so starved of a striker for so long we are going to clutch at anything slightly like one, hence the raving about Watkins season before last.

Like you say he probably couldn't lead the line on his own. Would be interesting to see him alongside someone like Davis as his movement is very good, always looking for the space.
If our overlapping full backs/ no10s/8s/wide men can provide those penetrating through balls/cut backs then he could be a real asset.
Definitely offers something different to Ings and Watkins

7 in 20 at Championship level
(not dissimilar to Keinans return at Forest 5 in 18) -
there's promise there but he'll be a sub at best unless we loan him out again.
Hopefully he's coming on for half an hour when we're already 4 or 5 up as Watkins is rested after yet another hattrick served up on a plate by our creative geniuses behind him - erm or summat like that