The Cameron Archer Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Cameron Archer Thread

To be fair, the players Gerrard has brought in have been much better. Be interesting to see whether he's happy with the current striker set up, or not, i think he knows what he's doing, Just hope he's not trying to buy goals when he has somebody already capable.

We dont know if he's capable in the prem yet. If we dont buy a striker and stick with Waatkins, Ings and Archer and he doesnt make it then we're the same as we were this seaason with forwards. Its a risk but if we do bring one in I expect to see Ings go

We dont know if he's capable in the prem yet. If we dont buy a striker and stick with Waatkins, Ings and Archer and he doesnt make it then we're the same as we were this seaason with forwards. Its a risk but if we do bring one in I expect to see Ings go
What i'm saying Greenslade is we have spent a lot of money on strikers who really are not much better than the likes of Archer. A lot think we need the likes of Suarez, who was a good striker, but is he now? is he really any better than Archer today? i doubt it. but i agree with you i think Danny Ings will go.

What an irritating little shit he is . Spent the day saying he should go on loan then he scores again for the U21 .lol.

We will see , but I still think if another striker comes in amongst other things then it will be better for another loan. But the most important thing is that loan or stay we have an exciting youngster on our hands here.

Could Archer be our Kane?

Dodgy ankles took a few years to find the groove out of U21 football (back then).

Archer reminds me of Luke Moore's clinical finishing, but with Andi Weimann's work rate from his first team appearances so far.

He isn't the answer next season if the club expect Gerrard to actually improve on Smith's best finish, but if we are serious about giving Archer a chance he needs a good 10-15 starts and then at least 20 ish 30 minute sub appearances next year.

What an irritating little shit he is . Spent the day saying he should go on loan then he scores again for the U21 .lol.

We will see , but I still think if another striker comes in amongst other things then it will be better for another loan. But the most important thing is that loan or stay we have an exciting youngster on our hands here.
Lol, Exactly Melon. Just hope if somebody else comes in they are better or fans will say why did you bother wasting your money. I'm happy for him to go out on loan again and he seems the sort of kid who will be happy to do that, but he is the sort we should be looking after, or lose him.

2 chances 2 goals too btw - I’m where you are, the old romantic in me thinks “what if”, but it’s such a risk. We need to close the gap on teams ahead of us and get into Europe. We’ll all be better off in that way because he’ll get more game time too even if there is a quality CF playing.

I wish I could see him get the full 90 against a premier league team. Yes he scored that goal vs. Chelsea but I want to see a competitive league game.

It seems like a risk worth taking to me. Honestly next season, the odds on us breaking into the top 6 are very slim regardless of who we have up front. I think. It'll be the following season once Gerrards team gave settled that we'll really challenge.

So in the meantime if we give Archer his chance he may well fluff it which might be the difference between 7th and 12th and a few million in prize money, or he might be a revelation and become a £40m striker overnight. We all know how daft this game is. Only takes a few premier league goals for a young kid to suddenly be talked about in such valuations.

He's older than JJ, so age isn't an issue. It's just if the staff believe he's good enough, but he's certainly not doing his chances any harm right now.

Could Archer be our Kane?

Dodgy ankles took a few years to find the groove out of U21 football (back then).

Archer reminds me of Luke Moore's clinical finishing, but with Andi Weimann's work rate from his first team appearances so far.

He isn't the answer next season if the club expect Gerrard to actually improve on Smith's best finish, but if we are serious about giving Archer a chance he needs a good 10-15 starts and then at least 20 ish 30 minute sub appearances next year.
Surely this kid is nailed on to be on the bench next season at the very very least - especially with the clubs policy regarding youth. It will be either him or Ings next season getting game time, looks a great challenge and a perfect chance for Archer to step up - I can just see Southgate making his usual wank excuses about Ramsey and now Archer not getting picked for the England first team - hope I am right about both

Yeah let’s ditch at least one of our strikers and keep him around and involve him. We’re on a hiding to nowhere with Ings and Watkins. Sell both. Sign a quality striker and keep Archer as the back up/ rotation option.

and 3 in 2 for the current England u21 international. A sublime goal last night
I know I watched it, well the second half, scored with probably his only touches of the ball in the box. Both were predators' goals, Gary Shaw-type goals
The lad from Arsenal is ahead of him in the pecking order in Carsley's head and he was on loan at Boro last season and only got 3 goals as well. To be realistic neither Archer nor Balogun at Arsenal will be in their first teams next season. Arsenal had Nketiah out on loan for years and he still isn't a regular and he's 23 now. It's very difficult to break through, especially at clubs with top 6 ambitions.
It's all about the NOW

I know I watched it, well the second half, scored with probably his only touches of the ball in the box. Both were predators' goals, Gary Shaw-type goals
The lad from Arsenal is ahead of him in the pecking order in Carsley's head and he was on loan at Boro last season and only got 3 goals as well. To be realistic neither Archer nor Balogun at Arsenal will be in their first teams next season. Arsenal had Nketiah out on loan for years and he still isn't a regular and he's 23 now. It's very difficult to break through, especially at clubs with top 6 ambitions.
It's all about the NOW
well you only find out if they're given a chance. When he's played in our first team he's delivered , yes the hatrick was v Barrow but his goal vs the then European Champions was absolutely top drawer

well you only find out if they're given a chance. When he's played in our first team he's delivered , yes the hatrick was v Barrow but his goal vs the then European Champions was absolutely top drawer
So if you were Stevie G and you have 38 games to save your career as a manager which is basically what he has, you would playing a 20-year-old striker with no experience .
That's all I'm getting at. SG is paid to win games, if we wanted to develop the under-21s we'd have kept Deano and been content with 14th place for the next 3 seasons whilst we see if they can cut the mustard.

I'm not bothered how old he is - if you're good enough, you're old enough as they say.

I think he's shown enough to be given a real opportunity - training and playing with quality players like Coutinho and Buendia (and Ramsey, actually, although he's clearly not in their bracket yet) will only develop him quicker in my humble.

I would keep him and see what he can do at close quarters, not getting lumps kicked out of him in the Championship. I'm not saying we should put all our eggs in one basket, but surely he can't be any less effective than Watkins and Ings were for much of last season.

What i'm saying Greenslade is we have spent a lot of money on strikers who really are not much better than the likes of Archer. A lot think we need the likes of Suarez, who was a good striker, but is he now? is he really any better than Archer today? i doubt it. but i agree with you i think Danny Ings will go.

Is Suarez any better than Archer? You joking right?

If he has a good pre season then it'll give Gerrard something to think about. I know that if I was Ings or Watkins the last thing I'd want from a purely selfish point of view would be for Archer to start and score a couple in the Walsall friendly.

So if you were Stevie G and you have 38 games to save your career as a manager which is basically what he has, you would playing a 20-year-old striker with no experience .
That's all I'm getting at. SG is paid to win games, if we wanted to develop the under-21s we'd have kept Deano and been content with 14th place for the next 3 seasons whilst we see if they can cut the mustard.

That is true. After our 2022 form :lol:, SG needs a good start to the season or else by November he will be rightly under threat. If he is on the touchline and looks at the bench needing a goal to save his job he will go with the known and not the unknown.