The Bertrand Traore Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Bertrand Traore Thread

Agree with the general consensus here. He's clearly talented but needs to show it more. The odd sublime cross or touch isn't going to cut it for what we need. Still need a real quality wide player in my opinion.

Come on. He hasn't played a full 90 mins yet. We might not see the best of him until next season. Who knows ?
Exactly but at least we have seen glimpses last time we were in the prem some of the signings were truly shocking and got worse lol.

Can’t work this guy out, he goes from looking world class to dreadful in the blink of an eye. He’ll do a great touch and then misplace a simple pass, he’ll do a great pass and then fail to control the pass back... looks like a decent option in the squad who can fill in a few positions and can cause some problems for defences with his unpredictability but I have a feeling he will frustrate us more than anything else

In spite of freezing in front of goal, I thought he had a good game last night. And an allround game at that. Quick thinking to track back when Tyrone sat down prevented a goal. Closed down fast in midfield. A tricky player who causes problems. I think he'll improve with more game time.

Can't sugar coat this, I think he has looked largely terrible so far but accept he needs more time before we can make a proper judgement.

Only had the benefit of the highlights, so can't comment on his complete performance, but those two chances he had were criminal misses/decisions. The first he needed to just lash it with his right peg, instead he tries to use his left and gives the defender time to block, and the second he should never have tried to pass - clear shot from 10 yards and he tries to pass through a packed six yard box.

Way too soon to right the lad off. He's only played a few times and he looks nowhere near full fitness. He was blowing out his arse after 60 minutes last night, should probably have been taken off before he was.
He lloks to have plenty of tricks, its just a case of ensuring he makes the right decisions which he hasn't always so far

Only had the benefit of the highlights, so can't comment on his complete performance, but those two chances he had were criminal misses/decisions. The first he needed to just lash it with his right peg, instead he tries to use his left and gives the defender time to block, and the second he should never have tried to pass - clear shot from 10 yards and he tries to pass through a packed six yard box.

The flipside is to get a strike off on his left like that takes incredible technique. I think the lad is incredibly talented but can be equally frustrating. He has the confidence to do things that are rivalled only by Grealish but I think its his concentration that lets him down.

On a hot streak this lad will be sensational but I don't know how often you'll get it. One thing I really like is that he doesnt slow down play, he is a high tempo player and attempts first time passes a lot. I like Trez but you're shouting at him to play things first time so often. He gets perfectly weighted passes but takes a touch before he crosses. Just hit the fucking thing hard and low.

He's not 'incredibly' talented IMO. He has good technique at times and some tricks but there's a clear lack of quality in terms of his output so far.

El Ghazi carried much more of a threat last night and did a lot more on the ball, and he was pretty poor. Traore has to show a lot more.

Come on. He hasn't played a full 90 mins yet. We might not see the best of him until next season. Who knows ?

This is actually a bigger concern for me as opposed to his skill. He doesn’t look anywhere near match fit, even though he’s a mid 20’s professional, who had a pre-season somewhere. It shouldn’t take a professional 6-7 games to get up to speed yet still look so far off.

The concern I have is that if he gets injured then misses a few games, does it take him 2 months to then get back up to speed?

He seems to pick up niggly injuries along the way.

There’s a little flag waving around Bert for me, I just hope we see what he’s got this season rather than 2021 or later, personally.

I can see the potential but it looks to me as if he needs time to adjust to this league and level in terms of fitness, experience and decision making.

At the very least what I saw against Burnley was exertion and application. If he keeps working hard I think he has the talent to get there.

Yes, his showings at the moment are patchy, but agree, having had a torrid time at Lyon, he might need time to settle in, he might come good, or Lyon might have been right to drop him.

No idea.

However, it also has to be pointed out, in the PL, you don't have time, we don't have strength in depth, he wasn't cheap.

But yes, early days. Gulp.

I think Traore's "thing" is cutting in on his left and shooting or crossing, but I do agree he should be played on the left too.

In fact why weren't Traore and El Ghazi swapping wings numerous times? Wouldn't it make sense to mix it up a bit?

And if they are playing on their "stronger" wing to put it one way, then they need to be crossing the ball in early. Watkins has good movement and instinct but that only matters if the ball is played in quicker. Once the winger starts faffing around, the moment is lost and the defense is more organised.

Bit radical, matching a player to his best position. Might just catch on.

Well in over 200 1st team appearances he's apparently only played on the left wing 7 times. Its not us, its just the new fashion to have wingers playing with their strongest foot on the inside