The Bertrand Traore Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Bertrand Traore Thread

When he plays well he’s a dangerous player. Certainly an upgrade on El Ghazi or Trezeguet, neither of which are premier league quality.

Agree with others he needs more consistency in his game, he’s a bit hit and miss but he is capable of doing great things in matches as shown by some of his goals and other individual bits of skill during games. His form has dropped recently but that’s the same for all of our midfield and forwards since Grealish has been out. I think he certainly has a place in our squad, if we want to progress we need someone who can do what he can but can do it more regularly, unfortunately that costs a huge amount of money as every club is looking for the same thing.

I posted in another thread, but I’ll stick it in here. He needs to get comfortable with the physicality of the English game, or he’ll be the next Gil or Jota. It’s not enough in this league to only be comfortable when facing a player, you have to be able run with them pressing on your shoulder, as they’re quicker, stronger and more athletic.

If he doesn’t learn what the likes of Messi and Salah excel at in how they use their body strength (extreme example to prove the point), he will have a very limited impact for us.

I’m not overly impressed with him, nor am I convinced he’s much more than a squad player suitable for playing only really against the lower sides at the moment. The lucky thing for him is, he’s the best of a bad bunch.

Last edited:
An enigma. Didnt want him taken off v palace but can now see why he was. Tracking back and closing down are not in his mindset. Good at times but not good enough for long enough. All three of our wingers are the same.

21 games , 5 goals , 3 assists , 3/4 of a season and we are done with him then, get rid, waste of money .

Nothing like giving someone a fair crack is there .
And all in his first full season in the fastest most competitive league in the world.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I keep thinking I'm losing my mind.

21 games , 5 goals , 3 assists , 3/4 of a season and we are done with him then, get rid, waste of money .

Nothing like giving someone a fair crack is there .
And of those 21 games how many times did he play the full 90 minutes?

A few weeks a go his scoring ration to games played was fabulous

I think this is why Chelsea got rid of him a few years back. Ideally we should of taken him on loan and in a few weeks we could simply hand him back with a thanks but no thanks label attached

Can't quite get my head around the qualities of this fella. He's done my head in at times this season but there's elements of his game that are just pure quality. Some have already written him off as being a complete waste of money, no surprise there I guess but all things considered if he could up his consistency levels and cut out some of his infuriating sloppiness I really think this lad could still prove to be an excellent addition. When he's at it and last night was his best game for a while, I really enjoy watching him. Will be interesting to see how a full house might help him, he's certainly capable of getting us off our seats (for mesmerising skill and with sheer frustration if this season is anything to go by!)....One to watch next season for sure!

It is his game without the ball that needs working on by the coaches. He consistently is meandering around marking no one when the opposition have the ball. It is a good job that Cash is mild mannered otherwise he would get a bollocking all through the game as Cash is often left with two players to deal with. Going forward with the ball is the best part of his game and the double save from Dickford denied him a deserved goal.

It is his game without the ball that needs working on by the coaches. He consistently is meandering around marking no one when the opposition have the ball. It is a good job that Cash is mild mannered otherwise he would get a bollocking all through the game as Cash is often left with two players to deal with. Going forward with the ball is the best part of his game and the double save from Dickford denied him a deserved goal.

I don't ever remember Tony Morley or The Grader being extra fullbacks I remember Kenny Swain and Gidman being extra wingers.
As frustrating as it is we can moan about Ollie being isolated then in the next breath moan about Bert or Anwar not defending. Just as we can't moan when Targett or Cash get caught up the pitch.

Flair players do what they do, defenders do what they do first and foremost the rest is an added bonus. You have to take a few risks to score goals.
Our fullbacks need to first and foremost be exceptional defenders then just perhaps we can not get so wound up about forwards not defending.

With two deep-lying midfielders, one of those should be helping the fullback when we are under the cosh.

Bert is what he is, a flash player who on his day can win you a game, frustrating as he is he's never going to be a battler.

He has something you don’t see often. His balance and movement make him look effortless at times....and then when we haven’t got the ball he looks effortless. He also runs into dead ends a bit too often relying on his trickery which doesn’t always work out. If you were a coach you’d see him as an interesting challenge to turn into a top player. Hard to believe he doesn’t want to get there.