Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 5 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Football Hero
We did rip the squad apart and look how some of the the supporters reacted when we struggled in the first few months of the season.
Stupid to do that if it’s not necessary.
And no, i’m not advocating finishing 20th, just the opposite. We need a good start to the season and not to become stuck in the bottom few again whilst the team gel. We do need more players but not as many as some are saying we do.
Difference was we at that time we had a good squad who had done well and we got rid of 3 of the better first team players. This time we have a limited squad who squeaked relegation by the skin of our teeth and we are talking about replacing the players who aren't up to it.

If we kept the majority of this squad next season we would be in trouble again. We've got a decent core but no depth and there is no guarantee we'll keep everyone we want - so improvements are necessary.

Nearly everyone is saying keep about half and release the other half and it's largely the same players - who else would you want to keep who most wouldn't?

ZAKKY

Vital 1st Team Regular
Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep

Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

loudmouthblue

Vital 1st Team Regular
Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep

Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane
What medication are you on, get rid of Alex Perry, Joe Dodoo or Darikwa???, I would also give Gardner, Massey and Jones contracts as squad players.

TRUE BELIEVER

Vital 1st Team Regular
I didn't include Evans in the list as i think he will be released - Jones struggled this season but Evans couldn't get ahead of him and on the couple of occasions Jones wasn't available Evans really didn't impress.

He's 24 now so not a young kid still learning the ropes - if we didn't have enough faith to put him in the side for a run this season i don't think we ever will.
Ok, I see your point.

Kenny Morris

Vital Squad Member
Difference was we at that time we had a good squad who had done well and we got rid of 3 of the better first team players. This time we have a limited squad who squeaked relegation by the skin of our teeth and we are talking about replacing the players who aren't up to it.

If we kept the majority of this squad next season we would be in trouble again. We've got a decent core but no depth and there is no guarantee we'll keep everyone we want - so improvements are necessary.

Nearly everyone is saying keep about half and release the other half and it's largely the same players - who else would you want to keep who most wouldn't?
Keep
Jones
Evans?
Darikwa
Robinson
Pierce
Tilt
Johnston
Long
Evans
Ojo
Merry
Perrie
Gardner
Aasgaard
Lang
Keane
Dodoo
Joseph
Massey

release
Wooton
Whelan
Clough
Proctor
October

recruit
Goalkeeper
2 centre halves / right back cover
2 midfilders
2 strikers

or something like this, those players with a few additions will have us comfortable and at least challenging for playoffs next year

Jonnysking

Vital Squad Member
That's not a lot different to my list earlier, as the loan and the retained players weren't on mine.
I wouldn't however keep Massey and Gardner, with question marks against Dodoo and Evans (keeper).

loudmouthblue

Vital 1st Team Regular
That young lad last night looks not too far off a start to me. Keep Jamie as #1 with lad to take over mid season. We can't afford another 2 game season off Massey, get shut.
With fans coming back into the ground John we will need turnstile operators, when one of them has cashed up he could then replace your mate Jones in goal.

walgarthjohn

Vital 1st Team Regular
You can’t say a young goalkeeper. In the under 18. Will ever make it. Next season a new keeper. Is the first. on the list for our manager Jones most of his career as been a number 2 so more than likely to be happy to be a num 2 again

Jonnysking

Vital Squad Member
You can’t say a young goalkeeper. In the under 18. Will ever make it. Next season a new keeper. Is the first. on the list for our manager Jones most of his career as been a number 2 so more than likely to be happy to be a num 2 again
I wonder whether Jones has taken any badges.
I reckon with his experience and attitude he would make a great goalkeeping coach and still carry on as a number two for now.

loudmouthblue

Vital 1st Team Regular
I wonder whether Jones has taken any badges.
I reckon with his experience and attitude he would make a great goalkeeping coach and still carry on as a number two for now.
What part of his game would make him a great coach, his ability on crosses, perhaps the way he controls the area, oh I know it's turning round in his own net making a cup of tea then picking a back pass up.

loudmouthblue

Vital 1st Team Regular
Jack Butland and Joe Hart were regulars at this level at that age, why not Watson, I did suggest he would be a potential number two though.

Jonnysking

Vital Squad Member
What part of his game would make him a great coach, his ability on crosses, perhaps the way he controls the area, oh I know it's turning round in his own net making a cup of tea then picking a back pass up.
A lot of the best coaches have never been the best of players, and the best players don't always make the best coaches as well you know.
He is obviously not the best goalkeeper in the world or he would have been elsewhere, but neither were Nick Colgan or Mike Politt.
Its not just about your ability as a keeper, its your knowledge, leadership qualities and personality as much as anything.
You can still train and coach people the right way to do things even if you yourself were not the greatest at doing it.
We have never heard of most goalkeeping coaches anyway, is that because they were poor goalkeepers, or not even goalkeepers at all?
Its about the person, and I reckon JJ has the qualities to have such a role.

Zeb2

Vital Squad Member
On that topic I looked up Blackpool’s manager Critchley last night ....I had thought/assumed he was a modest lower league player before coaching but he was hardly even that ....a single appearance for Crewe and three for Leigh RMI at non league level and that was his lot !

According to the article I looked up he is nonetheless one of only 16 coaches world wide to achieve FIFA Elite level coaching badge.
Which I have to say doesn’t “sound right” but ....?

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Football Hero
Keep
Jones
Evans?
Darikwa
Robinson
Pierce
Tilt
Johnston
Long
Evans
Ojo
Merry
Perrie
Gardner
Aasgaard
Lang
Keane
Dodoo
Joseph
Massey

release
Wooton
Whelan
Clough
Proctor
October

recruit
Goalkeeper
2 centre halves / right back cover
2 midfilders
2 strikers

or something like this, those players with a few additions will have us comfortable and at least challenging for playoffs next year
You want to sign 7 based on the premise we keep the rest but we are expecting to lose Joseph and possibly Evans so that would mean you'd need to sign 9 which is pretty much what most are expecting.

I think you might be the only person who wants to keep Massey but other than that it's pretty similar to most people are expecting.

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Football Hero
Agreed, the difference in quality between u18s and first team is huge. Maybe Watson has the potential to be a good keeper in the future but he's only just finished the 1st year of a 2 year scholarship according to the website, not even a first pro contract yet. He is also possibly behind Tickle if we were to bring up a young keeper. It would be way to much to expect Watson to be first team within the next 12 months.