Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 5 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

You can’t say a young goalkeeper. In the under 18. Will ever make it. Next season a new keeper. Is the first. on the list for our manager Jones most of his career as been a number 2 so more than likely to be happy to be a num 2 again
I wonder whether Jones has taken any badges.
I reckon with his experience and attitude he would make a great goalkeeping coach and still carry on as a number two for now.

I wonder whether Jones has taken any badges.
I reckon with his experience and attitude he would make a great goalkeeping coach and still carry on as a number two for now.
What part of his game would make him a great coach, his ability on crosses, perhaps the way he controls the area, oh I know it's turning round in his own net making a cup of tea then picking a back pass up.

You can’t say a young goalkeeper. In the under 18. Will ever make it. Next season a new keeper. Is the first. on the list for our manager Jones most of his career as been a number 2 so more than likely to be happy to be a num 2 again

Jack Butland and Joe Hart were regulars at this level at that age, why not Watson, I did suggest he would be a potential number two though.

What part of his game would make him a great coach, his ability on crosses, perhaps the way he controls the area, oh I know it's turning round in his own net making a cup of tea then picking a back pass up.

A lot of the best coaches have never been the best of players, and the best players don't always make the best coaches as well you know.
He is obviously not the best goalkeeper in the world or he would have been elsewhere, but neither were Nick Colgan or Mike Politt.
Its not just about your ability as a keeper, its your knowledge, leadership qualities and personality as much as anything.
You can still train and coach people the right way to do things even if you yourself were not the greatest at doing it.
We have never heard of most goalkeeping coaches anyway, is that because they were poor goalkeepers, or not even goalkeepers at all?
Its about the person, and I reckon JJ has the qualities to have such a role.

On that topic I looked up Blackpool’s manager Critchley last night ....I had thought/assumed he was a modest lower league player before coaching but he was hardly even that ....a single appearance for Crewe and three for Leigh RMI at non league level and that was his lot !

According to the article I looked up he is nonetheless one of only 16 coaches world wide to achieve FIFA Elite level coaching badge.
Which I have to say doesn’t “sound right” but ....?

Keep
Jones
Evans?
Darikwa
Robinson
Pierce
Tilt
Johnston
Long
Evans
Ojo
Merry
Perrie
Gardner
Aasgaard
Lang
Keane
Dodoo
Joseph
Massey

release
Wooton
Whelan
Clough
Proctor
October

recruit
Goalkeeper
2 centre halves / right back cover
2 midfilders
2 strikers

or something like this, those players with a few additions will have us comfortable and at least challenging for playoffs next year

You want to sign 7 based on the premise we keep the rest but we are expecting to lose Joseph and possibly Evans so that would mean you'd need to sign 9 which is pretty much what most are expecting.

I think you might be the only person who wants to keep Massey but other than that it's pretty similar to most people are expecting.

Agreed, the difference in quality between u18s and first team is huge. Maybe Watson has the potential to be a good keeper in the future but he's only just finished the 1st year of a 2 year scholarship according to the website, not even a first pro contract yet. He is also possibly behind Tickle if we were to bring up a young keeper. It would be way to much to expect Watson to be first team within the next 12 months.

A lot of the best coaches have never been the best of players, and the best players don't always make the best coaches as well you know.
He is obviously not the best goalkeeper in the world or he would have been elsewhere, but neither were Nick Colgan or Mike Politt.
Its not just about your ability as a keeper, its your knowledge, leadership qualities and personality as much as anything.
You can still train and coach people the right way to do things even if you yourself were not the greatest at doing it.
We have never heard of most goalkeeping coaches anyway, is that because they were poor goalkeepers, or not even goalkeepers at all?
Its about the person, and I reckon JJ has the qualities to have such a role.

You certainly don't need to have had a great playing career to be an effective coach but I genuinely don't know if Jones would make a good coach. It's so hard to know things like that unless you are working with them on the training pitch to see what they are like.

We could go for a season long loan for a keeper. But a huge risk. Bolton played a young keeper. At the start of this season. And he got found out. Turned. To a old pro and never looked back. Should. Be plenty good keepers of the free lists. Now. As clubs cut back.

That experienced keeper was Gilks who we had a few years ago. I thought he was excellent for us and was sad to see him go when Cook came in.

Looking at keepers out of contract there are a few decent options;

Craig MacGillivray, 28, Portsmouth player of the season bizarrely released. Impressed at Pompey and Shrewsbury in L1 over last 4 or 5 years. I think there could be a few after him.

Ryan Allsop, 27, surprisingly released after being Wycombes no1 for past 3 seasons.

Jack Bonham, 27, just rejected a contract extension at Gillingham, impressed in last 2 seasons there and Bristol Rovers the year before that all in L1.

George Long, 27, currently Hulls back up and offered a new deal but he seems good enough to be a no1.

Lake Daniels, 33, from Brentford - was largely back up at Brentford but was one of best keepers in L1 for Scunthorpe prior to that.

Simon Moore, 31, very likely to be released by Sheffield United has been a good keeper in the past but like a few of the released keepers been at a good side but not had enough game time.

Jordan Archer, 28, currently back up at Boro, was a decent keeper for Millwall and their player of the season one year but has been bouncing round as back up at multiple clubs since.

Stephen Henderson, 33, previously a decent Championship keeper but spent too much of his career as back up in the Prem. He's currently 3rd or 4th choice keeper at Palace and likely to be let go.

David Martin, 35, set to be released by West Ham after being their back up for last few years. Previously did very well in L1 for Mk Dons for years.

Kiran Westwood, 36, just released from Sheff Wed, one of the best keepers outside the Prem for years but obviously getting on a bit. I think in L1 could be another Jussi if we could get him.

Scott Carson, 35, he's been on loan at Manchester City as 3rd choice for 2 years from Derby. Not sure if city will offer him a deal but if they dont and he fancies playing every week rather than just doing warm ups he would be good for L1.

Wayne Hennessey, 34, a very good keeper over the year but been 2nd or 3rd choice at Palace last season, if he isn't offered a new deal and wants to start every week could be a good option.

Tom Heaton, 35, great keeper but restricted to just a back up in recent years at Villa. Same as last few if his current side don't extend his deal and he wants starts you'd happily take him despite his age.

John Ruddy, 34, I think he may just stay at Wolves to be back up but same as last few if released and willing to come he'd be amazing in L1.

You want to sign 7 based on the premise we keep the rest but we are expecting to lose Joseph and possibly Evans so that would mean you'd need to sign 9 which is pretty much what most are expecting.

I think you might be the only person who wants to keep Massey but other than that it's pretty similar to most people are expecting.
Some are advocating much more
Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep
Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

is an example, this would be suicide. we may not be able to keep all that I suggested but we should aim to do so

Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep
Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

is an example, this would be suicide. we may not be able to keep all that I suggested but we should aim to do so

Out of the one's I would let go only four have played much Dodoo Jones Darikwa Gardner and we need a lot better than them to progress at all

Get shut of

Clough
Owen Evans
Dan Gardner
Jamie Jones
Gavin Massey
Jamie Proctor
Corey Whelan
Scott Wootton
Alex Perry
Joe Dodoo
Darikwa

keep
Chris Merrie
Lee Evans
Johnston
Kyle Joseph
Will Keane

To be fair I think only one person said that many.

From the ones you've listed as releases I think most folk have said they'd like to keep Darikwa and Dodoo and opinion varies on two or three like Gardener, Jones and Merrie as back up but i think largely most (not all) are agreeing that Owen Evans, Perry, Clough, Proctor, Whelan, Wooton and Massey should go. They either struggled or barely got a game despite our lack of options - so if they weren't offering much this year then next after a summer of recruitment they will probably play even less and be a wage for little benefit.

Everyone's got a slightly different view but I think we are largely all in the ball park of keeping about half and releasing the other half.

The back up keeper, and I only say that is because he is so young, is already at the club the display of young Tom Watson last night in the playoff final at Charton shows our goal keeper future looks quite rosy.

You seem to have made your mind up on his performance in one game, personally I would like to see his performances over a full season, which the coaching squad will have done.

Don't take this the wrong way but I would rather take their opinion on this than yours, as I have done this season with our other keepers.

If I am right your argument relating to JJ is that he is inconsistent and yet you are willing to pin our future on the display of a young keeper after one viewing were you seem to have made up your mind that he will be consistently performing to that level.

I appreciate that you have a low opinion of JJ, but your reasoning on this one seems very suspect to me.

You seem to have made your mind up on his performance in one game, personally I would like to see his performances over a full season, which the coaching squad will have done.

Don't take this the wrong way but I would rather take their opinion on this than yours, as I have done this season with our other keepers.

If I am right your argument relating to JJ is that he is inconsistent and yet you are willing to pin our future on the display of a young keeper after one viewing were you seem to have made up your mind that he will be consistently performing to that level.

I appreciate that you have a low opinion of JJ, but your reasoning on this one seems very suspect to me.

I speculated we may already have a number two keeper in our ranks, nothing more nothing less.

Many on here have only seen fleeting glimpses of our current number two Evans, but he is in many people's not to retain list ???
I haven't seen you having a pop at them, is their "reasoning" not "very suspect" or have you a myopic view of what I post.

I speculated we may already have a number two keeper in our ranks, nothing more nothing less.

Many on here have only seen fleeting glimpses of our current number two Evans, but he is in many people's not to retain list ???
I haven't seen you having a pop at them, is their "reasoning" not "very suspect" or have you a myopic view of what I post.

Nope, not myopic, simply stating a point that you seem to have made up your mind on a single showing.

Not having a pop either, but you have been very critical of JJ over the season and used his inconsistencies to make your point. My point is simply that you seem to have very quickly made up your mind on one game that this young keeper is "the future".

Evans would certainly be on my retention list, as would Jones. From what I have seen of Evans, albeit fleetingly, he has potential and has proven himself capable at lower levels and whilst on international duty, but I have stated previously that I thought that last season was not the right time to make him No1. Introducing him into a side struggling for survival behind a leaky back line would have seriously dented his confidence, as was done with Lee Nicholls previously. In my opinion it would be better for him to be introduced next season when hopefully the defence is established and the team is settled. I would persist with JJ for the first few games to give continuity to the team and then introduce Evans with the hope that he is able to settle and become the No1 whilst retaining JJ as back up for the next couple of seasons.

It is sad that you consider anyone who disagrees with your point of view as "having a pop" rather than simply proposing an alternative view.

I don't think any of us have seen much of Evans but what bits we saw last season unfortunately weren't good.

We can argue if it's fair to judge him on those appearances but the fact Jones struggled and Evans still couldn't get in the side makes me think Richardson isn't sold on him.

I don't think any of us have seen much of Evans but what bits we saw last season unfortunately weren't good.

We can argue if it's fair to judge him on those appearances but the fact Jones struggled and Evans still couldn't get in the side makes me think Richardson isn't sold on him.

I think what we saw from him last season was that at 24 he wasn't experienced enough to be considered for the No.1 position. In the January window LR set his stall out and recruited experienced lower league players to form the core of his squad, to enable him to do this we sacrificed some younger players, surely if he didn't have confidence in Evans then that would have been the time to move him on. The fact that he didn't sign an experienced keeper leads me to believe he still believes Evans will come good.

No doubt we will see which of us is right when the window opens.

I think what we saw from him last season was that at 24 he wasn't experienced enough to be considered for the No.1 position. In the January window LR set his stall out and recruited experienced lower league players to form the core of his squad, to enable him to do this we sacrificed some younger players, surely if he didn't have confidence in Evans then that would have been the time to move him on. The fact that he didn't sign an experienced keeper leads me to believe he still believes Evans will come good.

No doubt we will see which of us is right when the window opens.

What I read from Evans not being released in January was more that Richardson rated Jones enough to be our no1 for the rest of the season to not waste any of the limited budget paying off the remainder of Evans contract to bring in another keeper. He might rate them both but I don't think January indicates either way.

We'll find out in the next couple of weeks when the retained list comes out.

Nope, not myopic, simply stating a point that you seem to have made up your mind on a single showing.

Not having a pop either, but you have been very critical of JJ over the season and used his inconsistencies to make your point. My point is simply that you seem to have very quickly made up your mind on one game that this young keeper is "the future".

Evans would certainly be on my retention list, as would Jones. From what I have seen of Evans, albeit fleetingly, he has potential and has proven himself capable at lower levels and whilst on international duty, but I have stated previously that I thought that last season was not the right time to make him No1. Introducing him into a side struggling for survival behind a leaky back line would have seriously dented his confidence, as was done with Lee Nicholls previously. In my opinion it would be better for him to be introduced next season when hopefully the defence is established and the team is settled. I would persist with JJ for the first few games to give continuity to the team and then introduce Evans with the hope that he is able to settle and become the No1 whilst retaining JJ as back up for the next couple of seasons.

It is sad that you consider anyone who disagrees with your point of view as "having a pop" rather than simply proposing an alternative view.
As said before I speculated that perhaps our back up keeper was already at the club, nothing more nothing less and but you seem not to recognise that fact and that is why I postedxwhat I did, I do believe you are myopic on anything that I post.