Summer transfer thread | Page 56 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

I'd argue in this climate forward thinking is. A short term fix is fine now and then but ending up with expensive contracts with 0 resale value is suicide.

Better is a nebulous term too, better for the formation we want to play? Better in terms of attitude? Better technically? Better for our footballing philosophy? Which attributes exactly is he better in than say Cash/Darikwa if we want to play 3-5-2? Is that enough to mitigate blocking a youngsters progress and using valuable budget.

There are numerous factors to consider: Does the player have an injury record? Is he blocking the development of a young player with promise? If I use my budget here, who does this mean I can't sign? Etc etc.

Signing players is complex, saying he's better doesn't cut it without context and opportunity cost.

I agree that dishing out extravagant contracts to players at the end of their careers is not always good business, particularly if you are filling the team with that type of player; that is not really the path we are taking though.

We still have a youngish side with Watson, Fox, Dawson and Gueddy being the only senior players remaining you would expect to feature.

Bridcutt may remain and Tomlin and Pantillimon may sign but I would fully expect the likes of Mancienne, Licahaj and Darikwa to be disposed of; that leaves a very young squad with a couple more youngsters due to sign this week.

We need more experience and leadership.

Hutton has been around the block; he is a very dependable and accomplished defender, accusations that no one in their right mind would throw at either Eric or Darikwa.

We should be looking to get rid of all of the weak links and liabilities from the side, getting rid of that pair would be a good start; if we can replace them with young players with good sell on potential, that would be great, but it is not always possible.

You ask about the opportunity cost of signing Hutton; I would rather look at the costs of not replacing Lichaj or Darikwa and the inevitable failure that would bring.

I can appreciate the concern expressed, but we’ve been to close to being relegated the last 2 seasons and we have a lot of deadwood that needs to be moved on. Nothing but a root and branch overhaul of the entire squad will do. Starting Fees for strikers are £10 million for bang average players.

It is the market we’re in, and we have to be in to win it. The fee for this transfer is cancelled out by the sale of Bad Ass last year. If this financial team are half as professional as I think they are, they would have created several scenarios and costed out best and worst cases, and set a budget accordingly. The numbers are scary but none of us, could possibly have the same grasp on our general financial position as the chartered accountants employed by Forest to check on this stuff.

No doubt some of the incoming, will be on tasty salaries. But how much were Cummings, McKay, Cohen, Vaughn, Lichaj, Carrol et al being paid ? It’s fair enough to stress over some of the eye watering transfer fees that we’ll be paying, but we shouldn’t lose sight of the huge savings that we’ll make by offloading non performing players. I’m sure the finance team will be all over this and will be using actual numbers rather than our guesstimates.

I agree that dishing out extravagant contracts to players at the end of their careers is not always good business, particularly if you are filling the team with that type of player; that is not really the path we are taking though.

We still have a youngish side with Watson, Fox, Dawson and Gueddy being the only senior players remaining you would expect to feature.

Bridcutt may remain and Tomlin and Pantillimon may sign but I would fully expect the likes of Mancienne, Licahaj and Darikwa to be disposed of; that leaves a very young squad with a couple more youngsters due to sign this week.

We need more experience and leadership.

Hutton has been around the block; he is a very dependable and accomplished defender, accusations that no one in their right mind would throw at either Eric or Darikwa.

We should be looking to get rid of all of the weak links and liabilities from the side, getting rid of that pair would be a good start; if we can replace them with young players with good sell on potential, that would be great, but it is not always possible.

You ask about the opportunity cost of signing Hutton; I would rather look at the costs of not replacing Lichaj or Darikwa and the inevitable failure that would bring.

The final paragraph is only relevant if you believe Hutton will be the differential between promotion or not - all other circumstances being equal. I'm far far from convinced he would be.

For me half a team of players around 30+ is plenty of experience and leadership. I'd far rather see Cash at RWB, which to me at least looks the preferred option.

And how do you know we've already spoken to him??? Are you that certain?
No-one is saying anything about who they've spoken to or not down at NG1 - unless you are privy to something we're not!!!

Last edited:
The final paragraph is only relevant if you believe Hutton will be the differential between promotion or not - all other circumstances being equal. I'm far far from convinced he would be.

For me half a team of players around 30+ is plenty of experience and leadership. I'd far rather see Cash at RWB, which to me at least looks the preferred option.

I would not be averse to Cash playing wing back if that is what Karanka has in mind for him, but we will still need competition regardless of whether we play with wing backs or full backs.

For this team to be in a position to challenge we need to start winning the games that we usually draw and draw some of the games that we usually lose; that means a big improvement in our defending capabilities.

Hutton will bring some improvement to our defending, certainly on what we currently have at Full Back; you also have to bear in mind that a rock solid defence will bring improvement further up the pitch as well.

I would not be averse to Cash playing wing back if that is what Karanka has in mind for him, but we will still need competition regardless of whether we play with wing backs or full backs.

For this team to be in a position to challenge we need to start winning the games that we usually draw and draw some of the games that we usually lose; that means a big improvement in our defending capabilities.

Hutton will bring some improvement to our defending, certainly on what we currently have at Full Back; you also have to bear in mind that a rock solid defence will bring improvement further up the pitch as well.

Hutton can attack too

In pretty much every aspect except age Hutton is a step up from both Lichaj and Darikwa. And he can do a job on the left.

That’s pretty much all the reason we should need to at least make an approach although Villa are trying to downplay their woes and may still offer him new terms.

Spuds have offered £15m for Grealish which is funny. Two years left on his deal and slim chance of him signing a new one so will be interesting to see how much he actually goes for.

And how do you know we've already spoken to him??? Are you that certain?
No-one is saying anything about who they've spoken to or not down at NG1 - unless you are privy to something we're not!!!

Do we have an office in the City Centre now, Sangria?

The ground is in NG2