Summer Transfer Thread | Page 70 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Think if Amos thinks he not going to be no 1. He could hand his notice in. Not sure about whatmough. Think Shaun. Also thinks he could go and. that’s the reason he’s not captain. As he would be much better than McLean. Any one see Watts today.
I think Amos is probably on good money and we'd probably be made up if he handed notice in as you don't want to be paying a back up keeper a large wage. I think he'll be allowed to leave on a free with our blessing if anyone wants him.

I wasn't sat in my normal seat today where I can see the players not in the squad so I have no idea who was there. Did you see Watts?

But McGrath was there as someone on Twitter posted a picture with him. I assumed with him not being involved he was likely on his way but him turning up maybe means he's just not fit and hopefully indicates he may be sticking around.

If he & Whatmough both stay, that will be one real 'good' headache for Maloney. I do have this feeling that Whatmough will be a Wigan player this season - unless a good offer comes in for him.

I don't think Whatmough leaving would be as big a blow as we think.
Yes he's a good CH at this level but I don't think playing out from the back is his strength.
Heading the ball and organising are his strengths. But he didn't look comfortable last season when Maloney tried to implement his own style.
If Maloney wants to play 2 CHs then I'd be happy with any 2 from Hughes, Morrison, Kerr and Watts. Even if we went to 3 at the back we'd be comfortable.

If we start the league games with Tickle I wonder if Amos will angle for a move before the window closes?
I noticed we had another goalie (Watson) on the bench yesterday with Amos and when the subs were warming up at half time Ben kicked the ball around rather the goalie stuff.

It might be a risk letting our senior goalie and CH go leaving us with kids but this season is one of transition. If you can't throw the kids in now, when can you?
Also, it gets the wage bill down a bit more.

The watts deal is a strange one looked a done deal. And with the news coming out today saying we can’t buy any one. Looks like that was the reason on loan buy next season. Same with the Celtic man.

The embargo on paying transfer fees came from this interview with Maloney so must be true. Maloney also says we’ll be appealing one of the four-point deductions before the start of the new season. It would be huge if we got that overturned. No criticism of the EFL though from Maloney, probably because they pushed the takeover through so quickly:

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...takeover-brings-optimism-back-to-ailing-wigan

Last edited:
The embargo on paying transfer fees came from this interview with Maloney do must be true. Maloney also says we’ll be appealing one of the four-point deductions before the start of the new season. It would be huge if we got that overturned. No criticism of the EFL though from Maloney, probably because they pushed the takeover through so quickly:

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...takeover-brings-optimism-back-to-ailing-wigan

I find it strange that there is no mention on the EFL website about the two window ban on fees being paid as the idea of the "embargo list" is to alert other clubs to the fact that a transfer ban is in place. This was agreed upon by the clubs in 2021 to prevent problems arising from clubs circumventing the decisions.

I agree though that it does seem to suggest there is some truth in it.

I have just re-read both judgements listed for last season and can find no mention of the ban on paying a fee. There has been a similar punishment handed out to Cardiff City and reported on the site for this season.

In the article being quoted the remarks are not attributed to Maloney, rather it is a statement made by the journalist. I wonder if he has got his facts wrong.

"The threat from HMRC and the transfer embargo lifted when Danson completed a takeover that paid all outstanding debts, although Wigan are still prevented from paying a transfer fee for the next two windows. It may appear Wigan are being punished for the sins of previous owners but Maloney takes a more considered, pragmatic view."

Someone posted in Twitter they spoke to McGrath and he said he wanted to stay. Fingers crossed, I think he'd be a good fit in this side and his versatility across midfield was be very useful.

He should've been a big player for us but was another never given a chance.

Something I’ve noticed about Maloney is that he’s using players in different positions and changing the system during the game (eg when we’re in possession and out of possession).

Some previous managers have just stuck to the same thing even if it isn’t working, at times I found us boring to watch because we were so predictable. It’ll be refreshing to see something different next season.

Someone posted in Twitter they spoke to McGrath and he said he wanted to stay. Fingers crossed, I think he'd be a good fit in this side and his versatility across midfield was be very useful.

If he’s not careful could finish up not playing for any one. Not sure Scottish clubs can afford him

Spot on KDZ. Hopefully he is one (whom should he stay) will be given a chance under Maloney as he'll certainly suit his style of play.

Something I’ve noticed about Maloney is that he’s using players in different positions and changing the system during the game (eg when we’re in possession and out of possession).

Some previous managers have just stuck to the same thing even if it isn’t working, at times I found us boring to watch because we were so predictable. It’ll be refreshing to see something different next season.
It's something I noticed more yesterday than last season TBH! In the end yesterday, both my son & I gave up in trying to work out who should be playing where & what formation it was.

. Maloney also says we’ll be appealing one of the four-point deductions before the start of the new season. It would be huge if we got that overturned.

Don’t doubt that your info is right Swindon, but do we not still have our ‘last offence’ outstanding? The one that dragged on the longest, the one where Talal was claiming £10 million was arriving ’any minute now’

I’d thought we already had the 8 points penalty by that stage ?
It seems to have gone away and I don’t know if the EFL are yet to pass judgement on it …or…whether they have formally set it aside in light of the takeover?

Don’t doubt that your info is right Swindon, but do we not still have our ‘last offence’ outstanding? The one that dragged on the longest, the one where Talal was claiming £10 million was arriving ’any minute now’

I’d thought we already had the 8 points penalty by that stage ?
It seems to have gone away and I don’t know if the EFL are yet to pass judgement on it …or…whether they have formally set it aside in light of the takeover?
Kendrick said we're not getting any more deducted. The points we're appealing came from not depositing the 125% which was obviously never going to happen as he was trying to sell the club. You'd now hope common sense prevails.