Summer Transfer Thread | Page 71 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

There's no transfer ban. Like stated on here all embargos have to be listed on the efl website. I could understand mode if it was the club can't spend because of ffp but even then there's way to circumvent it. We need clarity on this as fans.

As for the points we are still facing another charge same as reading and there's zero chance those 4 points are taken off, end if the day we agreed to do something to get a reduced points ban and didn't follow it through. We need to just suck it up and accept it.

Paul Kendrick seems to think there is a restriction on transfer fees over the next two windows - which presumably includes the current one - that isn't an embargo but a 'punishment for breaking another rule'.

Whether 'restriction' means a cap on spending or no fees at all I don't know. You'd think this would've been clarified publicly by someone in an official capacity at some point so maybe it got lost in all the other announcements and statements made in the last few months...

The EFL promised to deduct points from anyone who got charged with racist chants, yet have backtracked and astonishingly not deducted points from Blackpool, it's now the third charge in the space of a few years for Blackpool that should end with a points deduction yet have received zero, whilst we have racked up 26.

Birmingham amazingly let off without a points deduction, as well as a few other clubs with serious charges like Sheff United, Bristol City, Cardiff City etc. Still nothing on Reading who had the same multiple charges as us, plus extra that we got 14 points for.

I don't know how they can justify multiple points deductions for us when they have been super lenient with every other club, so hopefully they will have the decency to reduce ours, especially considering the offences are absolutely nothing to do with the current owners or anyone connected to thr club now.

Kendrick said we're not getting any more deducted. The points we're appealing came from not depositing the 125% which was obviously never going to happen as he was trying to sell the club. You'd now hope common sense prevails.

I don't recall an appeal ever successfully reducing points deductions. I think if they announced a reduction the 23 rival clubs would all kick off and it gets messier having all of them probably threatening legal action and all sorts.

I think the EFL won't give anyone the points back once they've taken them unfortunately.

Paul Kendrick seems to think there is a restriction on transfer fees over the next two windows - which presumably includes the current one - that isn't an embargo but a 'punishment for breaking another rule'.

Whether 'restriction' means a cap on spending or no fees at all I don't know. You'd think this would've been clarified publicly by someone in an official capacity at some point so maybe it got lost in all the other announcements and statements made in the last few months...

No one seems to know exactly but the Guardian article just says we cant pay a transfer fee until next summer. Nothing beyond that. So presumably that is the only restriction otherwise you're pretty much in embargo.

But it's easy enough to get round if we can afford to buy a player, just take them on loan with a guarantee to buy on the first day window opens in summer 24. Clubs used to do that all the time when there was a loan window open after the transfer window shut. We may even have already done that with Watts based on the fact he's apparently coming on loan but signing at the end of the season.

The other thing is we are still trying to bring the budget down so we probably weren't that likely to be trying to pay fees this year anyway. So I'm not sure it probably made a huge difference as we've probably not got cash to spend until we shift all big earners out.

Last edited:
There's no transfer ban. Like stated on here all embargos have to be listed on the efl website. I could understand mode if it was the club can't spend because of ffp but even then there's way to circumvent it. We need clarity on this as fans.

As for the points we are still facing another charge same as reading and there's zero chance those 4 points are taken off, end if the day we agreed to do something to get a reduced points ban and didn't follow it through. We need to just suck it up and accept it.

Just a quick question FM....how do we fans get clarity that this is not an issue??
Hopefully re ur 2nd paragraph the EFL look at it in a different prospective & that we have new owners with totally differening outlooks & priorities...🤔

The EFL promised to deduct points from anyone who got charged with racist chants, yet have backtracked and astonishingly not deducted points from Blackpool, it's now the third charge in the space of a few years for Blackpool that should end with a points deduction yet have received zero, whilst we have racked up 26.

Birmingham amazingly let off without a points deduction, as well as a few other clubs with serious charges like Sheff United, Bristol City, Cardiff City etc. Still nothing on Reading who had the same multiple charges as us, plus extra that we got 14 points for.

I don't know how they can justify multiple points deductions for us when they have been super lenient with every other club, so hopefully they will have the decency to reduce ours, especially considering the offences are absolutely nothing to do with the current owners or anyone connected to thr club now.
I dont believe Blackpool got charged with racist chanting. At no point did they chant about one race being superior to another or did I miss something?

Just a quick question FM....how do we fans get clarity that this is not an issue??
Hopefully re ur 2nd paragraph the EFL look at it in a different prospective & that we have new owners with totally differening outlooks & priorities...🤔
We get clarity by the club issuing a statement or something on the official site.

There's not a chance over the 4 points, we broke what we agreed. The only people this is down to is the Bahrainis. Same as if we are charged and hit with another deduction thanks to tals bullshit.

We just need to take it on the chin and move on.

I dont believe Blackpool got charged with racist chanting. At no point did they chant about one race being superior to another or did I miss something?
To me there are 2 parts to this issue regarding McClean. If any opposition fans sing " Fuck the IRA " surely no-one on earth can disagree with that about an organisation that has killed innocent women and children. Secondly and more importantly to us and even though he hasn't helped himself in the past on this subject is the directing of sectarian abuse at this individual. Now even though I don't much care for the guy this is where the legitimate conversation takes place about whether its fair to link him with the repulsive IRA.

Personally on balance I believe that part isn't fair on him.

I don't recall an appeal ever successfully reducing points deductions. I think if they announced a reduction the 23 rival clubs would all kick off and it gets messier having all of them probably threatening legal action and all sorts.

I think the EFL won't give anyone the points back once they've taken them unfortunately.
Its not the EFL giving them back it's an independent panel

It is but they still never seem to return points that have already been taken.
I imagine any appeal would be based on if the EFL have a right to request that 125% is deposited into a separate account. They clearly have a right to request that we pay players and staff on time but do they have a right to request 125%?
To be honest though, they must have been annoyed with Talal’s lies, promising one thing and then doing another and they’d have no sympathy for us burning through a 24 month business plan in 12 months.
As others have said, we probably should take our medicine and move on, unless we believe we are almost certain to win any appeal.

I imagine any appeal would be based on if the EFL have a right to request that 125% is deposited into a separate account. They clearly have a right to request that we pay players and staff on time but do they have a right to request 125%?
To be honest though, they must have been annoyed with Talal’s lies, promising one thing and then doing another and they’d have no sympathy for us burning through a 24 month business plan in 12 months.
As others have said, we probably should take our medicine and move on, unless we believe we are almost certain to win any appeal.

They will probably have lawyers looking at it and if there appears to be a solid case then I'm definitely up for appealing rather than accepting it. But an appeal inevitable costs money, so I wouldn't appeal frivolously either.

I think the lack of a 125% rule as you say is probably a good basis to challenge but they did agree to that so I guess the devil is in the detail of exactly what was agreed and the terms.

Reactions: WN2
They will probably have lawyers looking at it and if there appears to be a solid case then I'm definitely up for appealing rather than accepting it. But an appeal inevitable costs money, so I wouldn't appeal frivolously either.

I think the lack of a 125% rule as you say is probably a good basis to challenge but they did agree to that so I guess the devil is in the detail of exactly what was agreed and the terms.

Think most would be disappointed if the club didn't appeal the points, nothing ventured is nothing gained & I'm sure MD will not chuck money about willy nilly. Imagine the boost we'd get if we did manage to win the appeal & start on a lesser points deduction....🤔

The point is not whether they have the right to impose the 125% of wages to be deposited or if we agreed to do it, which we did.

There was an agreement in place for us to do this and avoid punishment for another offence, we broke the agreement and therefore the points deduction was given.

There is little chance of any appeal being successful as there can be no doubt that we broke the terms of an agreed decision.

Reactions: WN2
The point is not whether they have the right to impose the 125% of wages to be deposited or if we agreed to do it, which we did.

There was an agreement in place for us to do this and avoid punishment for another offence, we broke the agreement and therefore the points deduction was given.

There is little chance of any appeal being successful as there can be no doubt that we broke the terms of an agreed decision.
Plus, they've inconsistently applied this 125% should be a big plus for us.

With, from my understanding, the players being "unpaid" for a period of less than 30 days in total it'd make an interesting case. I'm wondering how much us entering into a previous case against them, and losing, is resulting in harsher punishment.

An org like the EFL should be making considered policy changes based on test cases (retrospectively), vs applying random rules to situations.

Andy Dallas who was recently linked with us and a host of other clubs signed for Barnsley on a 3 year deal. Did well in non league but it's a big step up to L1 so you never know how a player will adapt.

Josh Emmanuel's name has popped up again after being briefly mentioned earlier in the summer. He is a right back free agent who is a good player but has had some health issues side track his career over the last couple of years. He agreed to join Peterborough early in the window but apparently failed the medical. Think this might just be old link recycled and the failed medical would obviously be a road block for any club. But if there was any interest from us and we could do a deal that took into account the medical I'd be pleased with him as we are short at right back.