Summer transfer thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

As far as the incomings go I think many people are forgetting that our season finished early this year and it seems a long time since the season ended.

Peacocks betting shop was next door, Melling's shoe shop on the other corner of Grosvenor Street.
Mellings shoe shop ! …..oh for sure …used to get me ‘Tuf’ shoes from there wi’t animal footprint moulds on the sole….badgers, otters, hare, etc….not that there were much wildlife knockin’ about Newtown back in the 60’s and 70’s (plenty human wildlife mind)

Mellings shoe shop ! …..oh for sure …used to get me ‘Tuf’ shoes from there wi’t animal footprint moulds on the sole….badgers, otters, hare, etc….not that there were much wildlife knockin’ about Newtown back in the 60’s and 70’s (plenty human wildlife mind)
And secret compass be in sole.

£4.7 million cash injection from Phoenix according to Companies House... Hopefully most (if not all) of that is spending money for the playing squad!

“Mahmoud Gad has been subject to an offer from an English club, he will play today but tomorrow we will discuss the propositions that could benefit for the club and entity”
Quote from his club yesterday

Mal Brannigan in an article today saying the transfer business will be "quiet and measured".

As I have said in other posts I don't see us being as prolific as in other seasons and I think the club will be awaiting the feed back from the training camp as to where the incomings will be focussed. Patience is required.

Looks like we're going for a survival season. Hope we have enough in the tank to achieve that. We were dominated a lot last season and got through games on spirit. Struggled against Sunderland, sheff wed and so on.

Hope we're not starting year 3 of talals reign where we started year 1.

Looks like we're going for a survival season. Hope we have enough in the tank to achieve that. We were dominated a lot last season and got through games on spirit. Struggled against Sunderland, sheff wed and so on.

Hope we're not starting year 3 of talals reign where we started year 1.

You may be right that we are looking at mid table survival for this season GL but I refute your comment that we were dominated "a lot" last season as the stats simply do not show that.

We may have struggled against some teams but our goals for and against are far superior to the two teams you mention which indicates to me that they also struggled against other teams in the division.

We did come up against teams who played a style of football that negated our system and caused us problems but I suspect that a similar thing happened to all the other teams in the division and will happen again this season.

There will always be times when the style of play and the way a manager sets up will not necessarily be the correct formula, but over a season is the way to judge these things and over the last season we only lost 8 games and drew 11 which was again superior to the two teams you mention, which to me suggests that they struggled more than us against other teams.

We're not looking at mid table survival, we're looking at survival. 21st place would be considered a successful season. Hopefully a cup run thrown in.
Finishing outside the relegation spots would be a huge success with the same squad, but I do think staying up is the minimum required considering going down stops the owners plans.

We're not looking at mid table survival, we're looking at survival. 21st place would be considered a successful season. Hopefully a cup run thrown in.

21st place and a cup run? I remember last season when people where griping about the cup runs could scupper our promotion push it could work the other way around next season with that attitude, the cup run(s) could scupper our plans of staying up.

Give me a mid table comfortable finish any day, if we get a cup run as well that would be a bonus but not important, i don't think anyone would fancy a edge of their seat time again during the last 3-4 games next April/May knowing it could be L1 again the season after.

I'm not sure if Brannigan's comments should worry us or not - it depends on how we define 'quiet and measured'. If we are pooling resouces to just sign 4 or 5 new quality first teamers that sounds good, if we think this squad as is can hold their own and we are looking to just add depth rather than players significantly better than what we have that is a concern. I suspect it's the former with it being a case of quality over quantity.

I can see us maybe being forced into additional transfer activity if the start of the season doesn't go to plan before the window shuts whatever the plan is.

I still think by deadline day we'll probably have a few in as it's always the way.

You may be right that we are looking at mid table survival for this season GL but I refute your comment that we were dominated "a lot" last season as the stats simply do not show that.

We may have struggled against some teams but our goals for and against are far superior to the two teams you mention which indicates to me that they also struggled against other teams in the division.

We did come up against teams who played a style of football that negated our system and caused us problems but I suspect that a similar thing happened to all the other teams in the division and will happen again this season.

There will always be times when the style of play and the way a manager sets up will not necessarily be the correct formula, but over a season is the way to judge these things and over the last season we only lost 8 games and drew 11 which was again superior to the two teams you mention, which to me suggests that they struggled more than us against other teams.
Well from the 10 teams directly below us we beat 2 of them at home with 2 late goals.

Rotherham and Pompey.

MK, sheff wed, Sunderland all won,

Plymouth, Bolton, Wycombe, Oxford and Ipswich all got draws at DW.

Not an exact science but some games we deserved more, others we were lucky and a few we looked short of ideas.

Were going to be facing established Championship teams next season such as Bristol City, Preston, Birmingham, Blackpool, teams we feel we just need to be better than to stay up but I think we need a bit more quality to turn draws into wins a level up.

You have to win your home games. Not draw them, win them. There is no tougher league than the Championship when it comes to winning away and that includes the Prem. Any wins away from home are like gold, but fail to win at home and you very quickly find yourselves in deep shit.

As for the Cups we have no excuse. Only two of them and we enter one in the third round. Get through the first two rounds of the League Cup and we don't play in it again until November. That should be the goal.

Mal Brannigan in an article today saying the transfer business will be "quiet and measured".

As I have said in other posts I don't see us being as prolific as in other seasons and I think the club will be awaiting the feed back from the training camp as to where the incomings will be focussed. Patience is required.
Quiet and measured will do for me. We need to be going under the radar with clever signings and keeping them quiet until we announce them. That’s what I think he means. I expect us to make shrewd signings

I really have high hopes that Aasgaard will take the championship by storm and this will be his breakout season . Plus, McGrath having a full preseason along with Shinnie, and Wyke back ( as seems likely from the images seen from the training ground and from Spain) I don't reckon we need too many new players in to be honest.

Three or four quality players to improve the team /squad, a winger, CB, a right back and a defensive midfielder should see us OK in my opinion.