Summer transfer thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

I have no doubt that you are right, but players develop and during this training camp he may see something different in a player than he did before.

For instance he will have had little time to assess the likes of Shinnie and McGrath as the focus of training after they signed would have been on preparing players for the games whereas in this camp the focus will be on fitness levels and instilling his beliefs into players.

Shinnie has shown he is a very capable player at Championship level before but has had little opportunity to shine, if over the duration of the camp he shows he is still capable then that is one more position less to fill. The same would apply to McGrath and others within the squad such as Aasgard.

I think the club will have targets in their sights but will be holding off on the approach until Leam has made his mind up on the players he has within the squad.

In addition to Shinnie and McGrath, we also have the likes of Pearce, Kerr, Thelo, Wyke, and Cousins who didn't feature regularly last season (mostly due to injury/health issues) but could very well emerge as more consistent contributors during this campaign.

Walton
James, Dunkley, Kipre, Robinson
Gibson, Morsy
Massey, Powell, Jacobs
Grigg

That was our starting XI in our first Championship game the last time we were promoted (a 3-2 win against Sheff Wed). Less than a week after that game we sold Max Power and signed Lee Evans, who became first choice over Gibson.

Amos
Darikwa, Whatmough, Tilt, Bennett
Power, Naylor
Lang, Keane, McClean
Magennis

As it stands, I expect that to be the starting XI against PNE unless we either bring in some genuine quality or Wyke is back to full fitness. For me Cook's team comfortably beats the side we have now and that team were in a relegation scrap all season.

I don't buy Richardson's spiel about giving players a chance. I just think we've been unable to secure the targets we've been after and that the owners are learning a harsh lesson regarding the finances of signing Championship players.

For balance, here is the starting line-up of Caldwell's side in our first Championship fixture (a loss against Bristol City). I think this team has a lot of similarities to our team now. Notably weak full/wing backs and central midfield, plus a questionable goalkeeper. That team of course were ultimately relegated.

Bogdan
Buxton, Morgan, Burn
Burke, Gilbey, Power, Perkins, Warnock
Grigg, Yanic

Both past teams you comparing were the teams on the first day of the season in early August and had 4 new signings in each, by contrast we are only at the end of July and coming back to preseason. We've still got a number of weeks that will hopefully mean by the first game we'll have a couple of improvements.

Prem clubs preseason tours are a factor as most top prospects are taken on them to be assessed and be around the first team enviornment. Those players wont be allowed out on loan until after that, that will give us more options directly and indirectly as other Champ clubs will only make players available after securing those loans.

I think it was the Aberdeen chairman said on Twitter he wanted to sign McGrath but was told he needed to be patient. It wouldn't suprise me if he's been told McGrath wont be available unless Wigan get someone else in first - so we are all waiting on other deals / clubs in a chain.

Apparently Hull and Wigan tried for Charlie Austin

He's about to go 33 and his legs are going, so i imagine any Champ club would only offer 1 year deals.

He's got a 2 year deal in Australia and a few strikers have moved to Australia in their mid 30's and scored for fun - so he may be able to go beyond 2 years at that level.

So if we were in don't blame him for opting to go abroad.

Twine confirmed to have signed for Burnley for something like 4m raising to 5m.

Bayliss signed for Shrewsbury on a free. I think there was a very decent player in Bayliss, we saw glimpses but never found his consistency and didn't really fit our style. I think he'll do well there playing every week.

I suspect Talal is waiting for supporters to show him the colour of their money before committing to any signings. Can’t blame him. We cannot be pissing money up the wall on transfer fees, salaries etc and remain financially stable if supporters don’t contribute to the cause. Been down that road before and don’t wish to see us racking up debt we can’t service again.

Mal Brannigan has revealed Wigan Athletic's season ticket sales are up on last year - despite prices going up.

Why on earth would you think that? ... and who are you implying will fall out of favour with whom?

Seems to me that just about everything Leam's asked for, he's got.

By the same token, Talal must have been delighted with Leam last season. I can't see that anything's happened since to suggest that delight will soon be brought to an end.

Merely implying the fact that a section of our supporters are going into panic mode c/o no signings, asking the question if the owners have any actual money as they only bought the club for 3 million etc etc. I see nothing wrong with the Talal/Leam relationship & only see a mutual respect for one another.

Merely implying the fact that a section of our supporters are going into panic mode c/o no signings, asking the question if the owners have any actual money as they only bought the club for 3 million etc etc. I see nothing wrong with the Talal/Leam relationship & only see a mutual respect for one another.
I agree re the reaction of some fans Runcorn, but I have to say that your own position seems to have taken a 180 degree turn, given you initially said that "I sense" etc etc..

I agree with your revised position. 😉

Personally I'm quite relaxed that we haven't signed anyone yet.It's important we get the right players in on suitable deals for our club.
No doubt everyone will be working hard behind the scenes and I'm sure the squad will be stronger by the end of the transfer window with at least 4 or 5 additions.
Just to add that Pre season has obviously only just started so there's definitely no need for panic at this stage!

Player contracts run till the end of June.
Some deals can drag out as clubs/players and agents negotiate the best deal for them,even more so if more than 1 club are interested.If only 1 club are interested then the agent will try and alert other clubs to their clients availability to get the best deal possible.This also helps a selling club possibly create a bidding war if a player is under contract.
Clubs won't sell certain players until they've found a suitable replacement.
Prem clubs usually only release youngsters for loan well into pre season after assessing them and then discussing their next move that's best for their development.

I remember some fans were concerned at the lack of signings during pre season last time we were in the Championship.The likes of Kipre,Robinson,Williams,Lowe and Moore were all signed in late July/August.

I agree re the reaction of some fans Runcorn, but I have to say that your own position seems to have taken a 180 degree turn, given you initially said that "I sense" etc etc..

I agree with your revised position. 😉

I get where you're coming from Mr Moonay. Perhaps my original post didn't sound as clear to others as what it did to me. I knew what I meant 😉

Don't we only have about 6k season ticket holders? I would say that sounds about right.

I think the figure quoted for last season was over 7k. If that is right then we must have sold nearer 8k this year so far.

They announced on the 28th July last year that sales were nearing 6k and were expected to continue to rise, MB has said that they had already exceeded last years total so I would expect us to be somewhere between 7K and 8K by the season opener.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/july/Latics-approaching-6K-2021-22-Season-Ticket-Sales