Summer transfer thread | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
With the end of season fast approaching the transfer rumours mill likely start to kick into gear. So I thought it was worth starting a thread to list any stories that come out.

Nixon reported that we are looking to sign Blackburn winger Luke Brennan who's contract is up in the summer. He's apparently impressed at youth level but not really broken into the senior game yet. Someone on Twitter has said he has been one of the mystery trialists who've featured for our u23s in reccent weeks.

I've never heard of him before this and with his lack of senior games there's not a lot of info about him.

Football League World linked us with prolific Chesterfield striker Kabongo Tshimanga who's got 24 goals in 27 league games this season.

Apparently loads of clubs are watching him but Chesterfield want over 1m.

He's had a great season but it's non league, he's coming up to 25 and considering so many players struggle to step up 1 level, expecting him to jump up 2 or 3 in one go is massive. At that type of price I can't see it.

It'll be a tough window as we will need a bit of everything to be competitive. Pace, flair and strength will all be needed in certain positions. I have no idea at the moment who we will go for.

Football League World linked us with prolific Chesterfield striker Kabongo Tshimanga who's got 24 goals in 27 league games this season.

Apparently loads of clubs are watching him but Chesterfield want over 1m.

He's had a great season but it's non league, he's coming up to 25 and considering so many players struggle to step up 1 level, expecting him to jump up 2 or 3 in one go is massive. At that type of price I can't see it.
I think this would be a big gamble if we do go up. It’s not like non-league players haven’t made the jump before (see Vardy), but if we’re going to spend £1m+ on a player you’d be hoping it’d be to sign someone with proven quality at the championship level.

The gulf in quality between league one and the championship is huge and we would need to make significant investment in order to compete imo. That being said, the recruitment last season was phenomenal and transformed us from a bare bones L1 relegation side to potential champions so I do trust their approach whatever it may be.

It will be interesting to see how much funds are made available if we do go up - what is champ TV money now? £40m?

I think this would be a big gamble if we do go up. It’s not like non-league players haven’t made the jump before (see Vardy), but if we’re going to spend £1m+ on a player you’d be hoping it’d be to sign someone with proven quality at the championship level.

The gulf in quality between league one and the championship is huge and we would need to make significant investment in order to compete imo. That being said, the recruitment last season was phenomenal and transformed us from a bare bones L1 relegation side to potential champions so I do trust their approach whatever it may be.

It will be interesting to see how much funds are made available if we do go up - what is champ TV money now? £40m?

I believe Tv money and solidarity payments are about 6m. But they say extra tickets, sponsorship, etc is worth a few extra million on top of that.

So a promoted clubs revenue will be massively boosted compared to the 1.5m or so you get in L1 but to compete at the higher level most clubs wages bills end up higher than the tv money.

I believe Tv money and solidarity payments are about 6m. But they say extra tickets, sponsorship, etc is worth a few extra million on top of that.

So a promoted clubs revenue will be massively boosted compared to the 1.5m or so you get in L1 but to compete at the higher level most clubs wages bills end up higher than the tv money.
I wouldn't expect too much in extra sales tickets with the cost of living rises beginning to bite and results not as good.

I wouldn't expect too much in extra sales tickets with the cost of living rises beginning to bite and results not as good.
There will definitely be more tickets sold to away fans if we are promoted but home support will not increase much if home pay on the day prices increase. Can't see season card sales increasing either. There should be some indication of this with the early bird sales but as yet I haven't heard any news on sales.

Between the last match of 17/18 (League One tltle) and the first match of 18/19 (first season back in Championship) we only made 4 changes to the starting XI.

We'd still add a few more players to the squad in August after that first match but if recent history is any indicator, we're likely going to rely upon a good portion of this current group at the start of the next season.

Positions I would target over the summer:

CB, RB, CM, LW, maybe ST

I would. The increased ticket sales from the away end alone will go up tenfold. Obviously the circumstances of the visiting club and the schedule will play a crucial in terms of which games are Saturday and which are Tuesday night, but I'd say half the teams in the league will be capable of selling out the away end.

A good World Cup run for England will also likely bump crowds up for when the Championship resumes in December, by which time England should be in the quarter-finals and football fever will sweep the country again. The Premier League will still be on pause which means any Greater Manchester/Merseyside football fans looking for a fix will have to come to us if they want to watch the highest level football being played at the time.

If we have a few mill to spend a proven championship goalscorer should be top of the list.
We already have plenty in the squad who already have experience at that level and some who are clearly good enough to cut the mustard.
Don't think it's as much a massive step up rather a massive step to a different style of football.
Some of our own - Callum and Thelo will flourish in a more skill based and less physical environment IMO.

In terms of positions to strengthen, it's the flanks that need the most work for me. That means wingers and full-backs. We need a new full back on each side and at least two rapid wingers. We'll also need a striker and a left-sided central defender.

The statistics and xGs clearly suggests that creating chances/scoring goals will be a huge problem for us next season and I agree. Will Keane missing from about 6 yards every week like he does in L1 will be ruthlessly punished a level above. We're crying out for some proper pace in attacking midfield. If only we could clone Yanic in his mid 20s.

Our use of the loan market was poor this season and needs to improve if we're to have a chance. My worry is that our aerial style of play under Richardson won't appeal to Premier League clubs looking to send out their best young players to the Championship.

A RWB and a left footed central defender are the priority.

Also agree with Hampton. League One to Championship isn't a huge step up. The huge step up is Championship to Premier League. Load of League One clubs have gone up and been at the top region of the Championship within 2-3 years of promotion without spending.

It is the teams with managers who mess up that struggle. Us twice when we completely abandoned the style that walked League One to something which didn't suit the players in 2016/17 and 2018/19.

If you have a manager who is tactically astute and sends the players out well organised playing to their strengths and the players give their all, you can have great success, look at Coventry and Luton this season. Barnsley last season.

Blackpool with 4 of our cast offs, who have played a lot for them this season and wouldn't even get in our current 18 match day best squad are comfortably midtable.

Arguably the weakest Championship in 20+ seasons and the strongest League One (top half) in 20+ seasons, so probably the best time to get promoted and cope. The top 6 in League One all look better on paper than the bottom 6 in the Championship this season. Fortunately half a dozen or so dreadful sides will stay up and need big rebuilds.

Last edited:
We are good enough to compete with the bottom half of the Championship.

There are rumblings that there is potentiality 3 or 4 teams at risk of points deductions. Plus all running up a great deal of debts.
We should be in a good position to offer attractive packages to players

I would. The increased ticket sales from the away end alone will go up tenfold. Obviously the circumstances of the visiting club and the schedule will play a crucial in terms of which games are Saturday and which are Tuesday night, but I'd say half the teams in the league will be capable of selling out the away end.

A good World Cup run for England will also likely bump crowds up for when the Championship resumes in December, by which time England should be in the quarter-finals and football fever will sweep the country again. The Premier League will still be on pause which means any Greater Manchester/Merseyside football fans looking for a fix will have to come to us if they want to watch the highest level football being played at the time.

A good World Cup run for England will also likely bump crowds up for when the Championship resumes in December, by which time England should be in the quarter-finals......🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your post was kinda making sense until the ridiculous statement above 😉🤔🤣..I take it you ment to say Scotland instead of Engerlund CL 😉

A good World Cup run for England will also likely bump crowds up for when the Championship resumes in December, by which time England should be in the quarter-finals......🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your post was kinda making sense until the ridiculous statement above 😉🤔🤣..I take it you ment to say Scotland instead of Engerlund CL 😉
Ukraine are dumping you out before your World Cup has even begun buddy!

Yep, think the main gulf like has been mentioned above is the style of play. I don’t think our hoofball approach will be anywhere near as effective if we get promoted.

Fortunately we have a lot of technical players in the squad at the moment (Shinnie, McGrath, Thelo) it’s just they haven’t been utilised much given they don’t so much fit our current style, which is obviously fine and to be expected. It will be interesting to see how we line up next year if we do get promoted as it would be harsh to drop players like Power and Naylor but as has been mentioned above, I don’t think they necessarily have the technical attributes needed to compete at that level.

It would be good to see us adapt our style slightly so that we could retain an element of what has made us successful this year (target men with fast players playing off him), but also introducing a bit more of playing between the lines. Often this season we completely skip the midfield and generally look to give it to one of the wider CBs who will proceed to play a crossfield ball to the front 3. Players like Thelo, Shinnie and even Keane would thrive playing between the lines and offer us another outlet if the long ball isn’t on. This also fails to consider the inevitable additions that will be made to the squad if we do go up.

Last edited:
I can live with that 'buddy' .....can u live with 'it's no coming home again' 😉
Of course I can mate, I've lived with it my whole lifetime. I'd rather not win it in Qatar anyway, happy to wait until USA/Canada/Mexico 26. That'll be some do!