Summer transfer thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Can I just try to get my head around why people are so worried about a lack of signings at the start of July? We've lost Massey, Bayliss and Watts from last seasons squad, of whom only Watts would have been considered a regular. We are arguably short of depth at centre back and the wing - but that is short of depth, not lacking players all together. We could start the season today with the current squad and I'd be reasonably confident of us doing OK.

Have the players who won League One last season lost legs over the close or something?

Their legs haven't fallen off but the ones they have got won't be good enough to stay in the championship (my opinion) I think that's where the problem is. It's a threadbare squad and the clock is ticking. Every other side is strengthening already superior squads.

Can I just try to get my head around why people are so worried about a lack of signings at the start of July? We've lost Massey, Bayliss and Watts from last seasons squad, of whom only Watts would have been considered a regular. We are arguably short of depth at centre back and the wing - but that is short of depth, not lacking players all together. We could start the season today with the current squad and I'd be reasonably confident of us doing OK.

Have the players who won League One last season lost legs over the close or something?
They all looked in fine condition and fit as fiddles tonight.

In terms of the wage delay.
Are Wigan looking at -3 points deductions?

I’m sure I remember a rule (from Derby admin) that if playing staff are paid late twice in a season, 3 point deductions would come in. Then further 3 point deductions each time playing staff are paid late in a season.

Maybe we are ok as the season hasn’t started yet?

I’m sure I remember a rule (from Derby admin) that if playing staff are paid late twice in a season, 3 point deductions would come in. Then further 3 point deductions each time playing staff are paid late in a season.

Bolton didn't get any points deductions for both times they didn't turn up for matches. I think there were times when wages didn't turn up at all for weeks without any points deductions. But they were Bolton not Bury.

I imagine there are caveats to that and if it's 1 day and demonstrable technical difficulties there won't be any issues.

If they were a week late and down to owners sourcing funds then we'd be in trouble.

Their legs haven't fallen off but the ones they have got won't be good enough to stay in the championship (my opinion) I think that's where the problem is. It's a threadbare squad and the clock is ticking. Every other side is strengthening already superior squads.
I don't understand how the squad is possibly threadbare though. We are short a couple of centre backs and a wing back/full back if we're going to play three at the back, but that would mean we don't need another winger as we'd be playing wing backs. By my reckoning we have 2 keepers, 1 right back plus Power as a utility player, 2 left backs, 3 centre backs, 4 centre mids, 3 attacking mids, 3 wingers and 4 strikers.

I've no problem with people calling for us to add quality but we don't need to go out and buy players willy nilly. If we sign players they need to be the right ones, that fit within the system and the ethos, not just signed for the name or addressing any perception of inaction. I think we need quality at the back but elsewhere I think we've got a Championship ready squad. I certainly don't look at Blackpool, Birmingham, Sunderland, Reading, Rotherham, Hull etc and think their squads are significantly stronger than ours.

I don't understand how the squad is possibly threadbare though. We are short a couple of centre backs and a wing back/full back if we're going to play three at the back, but that would mean we don't need another winger as we'd be playing wing backs. By my reckoning we have 2 keepers, 1 right back plus Power as a utility player, 2 left backs, 3 centre backs, 4 centre mids, 3 attacking mids, 3 wingers and 4 strikers.

I've no problem with people calling for us to add quality but we don't need to go out and buy players willy nilly. If we sign players they need to be the right ones, that fit within the system and the ethos, not just signed for the name or addressing any perception of inaction. I think we need quality at the back but elsewhere I think we've got a Championship ready squad. I certainly don't look at Blackpool, Birmingham, Sunderland, Reading, Rotherham, Hull etc and think their squads are significantly stronger than ours.

Spot on in my eyes mate

Looking at the players the other teams have added I don’t see any players there who are upgrades to what we have currently. Ballard potentially one however he’s right footed which we don’t need and the fee was quite high from what’s been reported.

All opinions at the end of the day. Said before people in the game day in and day out get this wrong. Watching it play out is the fun part

Last edited:
5 pens 🖊 been told Fossey is one of em. We were one of clubs in for Callum Robinson but don’t think that’ll happen. All quiet on the who the others are.

The Statue of Liberty emoji on Talal's tweet must surely be a clue that one is Fossey.

Talal teased 4 the other day so either one is a new contract or we've got another one in the pipeline since then.

Last year Talal tweeted pens and the announcements of signings weren't always immediately afterwards. So I'm not expecting 4 or 5 players unveiled at the same time, but clearly he feels we have made significant enough progress on those deals to tease them.

If it is 5 new signings I'd say that is probably about right assuming they are improvements not just numbers.

Like I say in Talal we trust fossey and errrrr coming in a centre half from Newcastle I forgot his name lol

We've not had many credible rumours over the weeks and of the few we had many proved to be false as the players went to a lower division.

The rumours previously mentioned that haven't moved yet:

Fossey
Watts
Morsy
Lowe
Broadhead
Gad

It's not to say those are all correct but I imagine that is probably a good reflection of the positions we are looking to fill.

Robinson's new contract and the young keeper from Torquay we never confirmed could potentially be 2 of the pens.

I imagine they will have some names we've previously not heard. I've not seen us linked with them but I'd love Luongo and Camara.

Last edited:
We've not had many credible rumours over the weeks and of the few we had many proved to be false as the players went to a lower division.

Fossey
Watts
Morsy
Lowe
Broadhead
Gad

It's not to say those are all correct but I imagine that is probably a good reflection of the positions we are looking to fill.

Robinson's new contract and the young keeper from Torquay we never confirmed could potentially be 2 of the pens.

I imagine they will have some names we've previously not heard. I've not seen us linked with them but I'd love Luongo and Camara.

I don't think the Torquay goalie will be a pen. The other u23 signings didn't have one.

I'd go
Fossey
Kell Watts/ Kipre
Broadhead/ Robinson
T' Egypt goalie
Haven't a clue 😄

I don't think Morsy or Lowe will be back.

Edit
I'll go Cole Stockton as number 5.
Someone on twitter was been adamant recently he's signing. So could be some truth in it.
I reckon Keane could be off. A last chance at a bigger club in the Championship and a push for the Prem?

Last edited:

Fossey
Watts
Morsy
Lowe
Broadhead
Gad

You're looking at very decent fees for Lowe and Morsy so I wouldn't expect them through the door to be honest. Surely Broadhead wouldn't choose us over Sunderland assuming they've gone back in for him? I think Watts and Fossey are nailed on though.

I think the Gad story is a bit of a non-starter tbh, like that Turkish striker whose name escapes me that you mentioned earlier I think.

Wonder if one of the players will be either Naby Sarr or Cedric Kipre? Im not sure if i would want Watts back if i am honest, he started well for us last season but as the campaign went on he faded out of the team and ended it 4th choice central defender.

Not to mention too im unsure whether or not Watts can step up to Championship level and id like us to find Whatmough a good defensive partner. Sarr and Kipre have shown before that they can do it at Championship level and have the necessary experience.

I reckon the Statue of Liberty emoji hints at Marlon Fossey being signed which im happy about as we do need a right sided player with a view to displacing Darikwa as the starter at RB/RWB.

I dont think we will be signing Gad being honest, getting a work permit for him will be nigh on impossible one would think and unless Jamie Jones is leaving i dont see much merit in wasting salary room on a keeper.

Jamie McGrath is being linked with a loan to Dundee United and i expect that to go through so dont be surprised if one of the signings is an attacking midfielder. Maybe a loanee from a top end Premier League club?

I wouldnt rule out a winger either as we will want some competition for Lang at right wing and whilst McLean is still capable of doing a job for us for another season or two, id like a younger left winger to come in as well to add competition

Either way, it looks like signings are coming and im happy at last we are hearing news of players coming in. Hope the five players are all done in next 2 to 3 days in time for the upcoming friendlies

You're looking at very decent fees for Lowe and Morsy so I wouldn't expect them through the door to be honest. Surely Broadhead wouldn't choose us over Sunderland assuming they've gone back in for him? I think Watts and Fossey are nailed on though.

I think the Gad story is a bit of a non-starter tbh, like that Turkish striker whose name escapes me that you mentioned earlier I think.

I agree on most of that, but I can't see Lowe playing much in the Prem so I could see him as potentially made available to loan. If we'd go for him or get him is another matter.

Out of these 4 or 5 I'm expecting we may get names we've previously not seen linked.

Wonder if one of the players will be either Naby Sarr or Cedric Kipre? Im not sure if i would want Watts back if i am honest, he started well for us last season but as the campaign went on he faded out of the team and ended it 4th choice central defender.

Not to mention too im unsure whether or not Watts can step up to Championship level and id like us to find Whatmough a good defensive partner. Sarr and Kipre have shown before that they can do it at Championship level and have the necessary experience.

I reckon the Statue of Liberty emoji hints at Marlon Fossey being signed which im happy about as we do need a right sided player with a view to displacing Darikwa as the starter at RB/RWB.

I dont think we will be signing Gad being honest, getting a work permit for him will be nigh on impossible one would think and unless Jamie Jones is leaving i dont see much merit in wasting salary room on a keeper.

Jamie McGrath is being linked with a loan to Dundee United and i expect that to go through so dont be surprised if one of the signings is an attacking midfielder. Maybe a loanee from a top end Premier League club?

I wouldnt rule out a winger either as we will want some competition for Lang at right wing and whilst McLean is still capable of doing a job for us for another season or two, id like a younger left winger to come in as well to add competition

Either way, it looks like signings are coming and im happy at last we are hearing news of players coming in. Hope the five players are all done in next 2 to 3 days in time for the upcoming friendlies

I'm same on Watts. Sarr or Kipre would be very welcome but I think Sarr probably fits the vacancy better than Kipre as he's left footed and on a free. We also love our diagonal long balls and set piece threat and that's right up Sarr's street.

I like the idea of Fossey as he seems to be a lot more attack minded than Darikwa so we have an options to be more or less aggressive tactically from that position.

I really want to see McGrath given a chance, he looks very good but it does seem clubs in Scotland believe he is available.

If we want a keeper, Smithies from Cardiff on a free seems a good shout. I'd prefer to stick to experienced keepers used to this league as you never know how incoming keepers will adapt.

Someone mentioned earlier we were in for Robinson from West Brom, that would be super ambitious and amazing but I can see the queue for him being quite long.

Lyle Taylor on loan or even forgotten man Vydra on a free would be sensational but I suspect wages could be a big stumbling block.

A couple of previously great players who seem to have lost their mojo were Knockheart at Fulham and Hernandez from Norwich - not so long ago they were world beaters at this level. I think both are likely available for loans we could do far worse than trying to rehabilitate one of them.

I've said Luongo and Camara previously I'm suprised neither has been snapped up yet.

But I'm not really expecting us to necessarily look at those and possibly bring in some loans we've previously not heard of.