Summer transfer thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Thanks for posting this info, i didn't know we'd updated the criteria, that's really interesting and a much better and fairer way to do it than the old work permit system.

It gives us options to scout for gems in other European leagues which hopefully our stats guru will be exploiting.

No worries KdZ, yeah i was wondering how it worked. Was in Vienna recently and spoke to some English guys out there who follow Austrian football and they were saying that in Austrian Bundesliga barring Salzburg, who are well out of our signing range, all the other Austrian Bundesliga clubs by and large do free transfer signings when it comes to recruitment.

So that league, IF it gets moved up to tier 3 which would mean 8 points of the fifteen required on the points system would suddenly become more attainable for signings. You would have to target players who play between 80 to 90 per cent and 90 to 100 per cent of the league games (first team regulars) to get the other 8 or 9 points to add to the original 8 to ensure they get past the 15 required for the permit. But first team players at clubs like Austria Vienna, Sturm Graz and LASK Linz who frequently qualify for Europa and Conference League competition could be within our range.

Turkey maybe also worth a look due to foreign limit there tightening but i suspect given Turkish clubs poor result in Euro competitions recently that Turkish Super Lig will be downgraded from a tier 2 league (10 points) to a tier 3 league (8 points) soon. So might be trickier from there than it is now.

Belgium and Netherlands are very safe Tier 2 leagues though very close to England and 10 points instantly for new players on the points system. So if we stabilise at Championship level a player or two from those leagues certainly worth considering in upcoming years

Keep playing the players that have proven time during time again they can't make the step up and sell/lose key players without signing better. Majority of clubs manage to stay up first season as they adapt.

Not sure I'd say it's playing the same players as other teams stayed up without major squad overhauls in recent years.

I think it's more down to the managers, I don't think Warne or Ferguson at Rotherham and Peterborough are Championship level managers. Just as players like Jacobs and Grigg excelled in L1 then just couldn't take the step up I think it's the same for managers.

Richardson is a completely unknown quantity at Championship level so we've got to hope he doesn't fall into that category.

No worries KdZ, yeah i was wondering how it worked. Was in Vienna recently and spoke to some English guys out there who follow Austrian football and they were saying that in Austrian Bundesliga barring Salzburg, who are well out of our signing range, all the other Austrian Bundesliga clubs by and large do free transfer signings when it comes to recruitment.

So that league, IF it gets moved up to tier 3 which would mean 8 points of the fifteen required on the points system would suddenly become more attainable for signings. You would have to target players who play between 80 to 90 per cent and 90 to 100 per cent of the league games (first team regulars) to get the other 8 or 9 points to add to the original 8 to ensure they get past the 15 required for the permit. But first team players at clubs like Austria Vienna, Sturm Graz and LASK Linz who frequently qualify for Europa and Conference League competition could be within our range.

Turkey maybe also worth a look due to foreign limit there tightening but i suspect given Turkish clubs poor result in Euro competitions recently that Turkish Super Lig will be downgraded from a tier 2 league (10 points) to a tier 3 league (8 points) soon. So might be trickier from there than it is now.

Belgium and Netherlands are very safe Tier 2 leagues though very close to England and 10 points instantly for new players on the points system. So if we stabilise at Championship level a player or two from those leagues certainly worth considering in upcoming years

I've always thought top British clubs tend to look at the main 3 or 4 leagues in Europe and there is a lot of untapped potential in some of the less high profile leagues. Even mid or lower table Prem clubs don't seem to really explore the foreign market as you'd expect.

When you consider places like Czech Republic, Austria, Croatia, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Greece, etc have produced quite a lot of good international players over the years that inevitably will have initially come through their domestic leagues - you'd think English scouts would be watching those leagues to cherry pick the next big things. But so often it seems like it's clubs in slighly less glamerous leagues like Germany and Holland are the ones giving those players a chance and then selling on at massive profits.

I thought it was great when we targeted Hondorus years ago and thought we should've kept that going and expanded to other largely unknown leagues around the world. I think John Benson leaving combined with the massive flop of Boselli seemed to put an end to it but I'd love to see us trying to become more innovate in scouting again.

The average Championship wage is probably one of the highest in the world outside the likes of the big 3 or 4 leagues, so if we were able to identify the right players outside of those leagues we could probably attract them.

Hopefully Tom Markam's expertise can help us to start to make the most of the work permit options.

Not sure I'd say it's playing the same players as other teams stayed up without major squad overhauls in recent years.

I think it's more down to the managers, I don't think Warne or Ferguson at Rotherham and Peterborough are Championship level managers. Just as players like Jacobs and Grigg excelled in L1 then just couldn't take the step up I think it's the same for managers.

Richardson is a completely unknown quantity at Championship level so we've got to hope he doesn't fall into that category.

I understand why you would say that LR is an unknown quantity at Championship level, however, I think we all know that he was the brains of the operation as Paul Cooks number two, as the last couple of seasons have shown and I expect him to build on that this season.

I've always thought top British clubs tend to look at the main 3 or 4 leagues in Europe and there is a lot of untapped potential in some of the less high profile leagues. Even mid or lower table Prem clubs don't seem to really explore the foreign market as you'd expect.

When you consider places like Czech Republic, Austria, Croatia, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Greece, etc have produced quite a lot of good international players over the years that inevitably will have initially come through their domestic leagues - you'd think English scouts would be watching those leagues to cherry pick the next big things. But so often it seems like it's clubs in slighly less glamerous leagues like Germany and Holland are the ones giving those players a chance and then selling on at massive profits.

I thought it was great when we targeted Hondorus years ago and thought we should've kept that going and expanded to other largely unknown leagues around the world. I think John Benson leaving combined with the massive flop of Boselli seemed to put an end to it but I'd love to see us trying to become more innovate in scouting again.

The average Championship wage is probably one of the highest in the world outside the likes of the big 3 or 4 leagues, so if we were able to identify the right players outside of those leagues we could probably attract them.

Hopefully Tom Markam's expertise can help us to start to make the most of the work permit options.
Benson didn’t want Boselli

Luton not messing around, close to a £2 million deal for Barnsley striker Carlton Morris.

That one concerns me because, if that's the going rate for a player who scored 7 goals in the Championship last season, then we're up shit creek when it comes to trying to sign players for fees at this level.

This is why I was really hoping we'd be active in the free-agent market. If we're waiting around for players to be transfer listed in August, we're gonna get ripped off big time especially if we're hoping to try and land top talent from League One.

No way whatsoever will we have planned to be in a position where we'd signed no one on July 4th. But after the news across the past two days, I'm content if we don't sign a single player between now and the deadline. If anything, we should be looking to sell players and trim the wage bill.

The club can come out with all the bollocks they like regarding "we planned this, it's a quiet window etc etc". For me, I've absolutely no doubt that we've missed out on targets following consecutive months of late wages. Because if I was a free agent footballer, I wouldn't be touching us with a barge pole.

No way whatsoever will we have planned to be in a position where we'd signed no one on July 4th. But after the news across the past two days, I'm content if we don't sign a single player between now and the deadline. If anything, we should be looking to sell players and trim the wage bill.

The club can come out with all the bollocks they like regarding "we planned this, it's a quiet window etc etc". For me, I've absolutely no doubt that we've missed out on targets following consecutive months of late wages. Because if I was a free agent footballer, I wouldn't be touching us with a barge pole.

I feel the same way unfortunately. It may well have been nothing more than a 'technical problem' that's led to two months of late wages, but it's happened at the worst possible time - whatever the reason.

The club failing to pay its wages on time won't have gone over well with free-agent targets who've multiple options on the table and might well have pushed some in a different direction. Couldn't blame them if it has. Football is a small world - footballers talk and so do agents, it'd be naïve to assume this has just been ignored in their circles.

We only have ourselves to blame unfortunately. Letting it happen once is one thing, but twice is amateurish for a Championship football club to be honest. Now it's led to a pretty embarrassing Daily Mail story and the chief executive being forced to make a grovelling public apology.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Leam and desperately trying to recruit players, which is already difficult enough for us in the Championship with our usual financial constraints, let alone this mess.

Last edited:
I love the capacity of Tics fans for making up their own reality, and then totally believing and buying into it.

From a couple of - admittedly newsworthy - issues re wages (which may or may not have been the responsibility of the club, but given each non-payment was only by a day, it was hardly a financial crisis) we've now got folk thinking the owners have no money, and will be looking to sell ASAP !!!

A couple of other clubs have done some (decent) early business ... most haven't though. Regardless, what other clubs do or con't do shouldn't concern us. Whay should it? It's up to them.

We seem to have had a good pre-season session away, with all players seemingly fit (maybe barring Curtis Tilt?) and as I said elsewhere, we have a stronger squad now than the one with which we finished last season.

I'm just impressed by those who can disregard all this stuff, and continue to reside in their own cloud-cuckoo-land.

I love the capacity of Tics fans for making up their own reality, and then totally believing and buying into it.

From a couple of - admittedly newsworthy - issues re wages (which may or may not have been the responsibility of the club, but given each non-payment was only by a day, it was hardly a financial crisis) we've now got folk thinking the owners have no money, and will be looking to sell ASAP !!!

A couple of other clubs have done some (decent) early business ... most haven't though. Regardless, what other clubs do or con't do shouldn't concern us. Whay should it? It's up to them.

We seem to have had a good pre-season session away, with all players seemingly fit (maybe barring Curtis Tilt?) and as I said elsewhere, we have a stronger squad now than the one with which we finished last season.

I'm just impressed by those who can disregard all this stuff, and continue to reside in their own cloud-cuckoo-land.
You are not always correct regardless of the wages thing Not a lot happening Like some have said. Right or wrongly. We are not being told a lot. Yes on transfers the club might keep things secret. But other things fans are being kept in the dark. Like pay on the day prices. The new name for the Stadium. Ground improvements. Last season you couldn’t keep the Chairman of the internet with silly quotes. So it’s know wonder a few are asking questions.

You are not always correct regardless of the wages thing Not a lot happening Like some have said. Right or wrongly. We are not being told a lot. Yes on transfers the club might keep things secret. But other things fans are being kept in the dark. Like pay on the day prices. The new name for the Stadium. Ground improvements. Last season you couldn’t keep the Chairman of the internet with silly quotes. So it’s know wonder a few are asking questions.

For God's sake man (or woman, or other appropriate term), get a grip.

Pay on the day -it's not "the day" yet.
Stadium Name - Does it really REALLY matter?
What ground improvements do you want to be told about?

So, you're criticising Talal for being on twitter too much last season ........ and not enough this season? Is that right?

Seriously, what is the problem here? The club - and those who run it - won a number of awards last season, and yet our fans want to whinge about stuff that doesn't negatively affect em (yet) in any way whatsoever.

I fully get it that when the season kicks in, they can then moan about the football/results/tactics/team selection/substitutions/pies/etc, - all of which they'll probably be wrong about, based on previous evidence - but I suppose that until then, we'll have to put up with this drivel.

:shrug:

Perhaps Ta Al deleted his pen tweets because it wouldn't have looked good spending money on signings, whilst the current employees(at that point) hadn't been paid. 🤔

For God's sake man (or woman, or other appropriate term), get a grip.

Pay on the day -it's not "the day" yet.
Stadium Name - Does it really REALLY matter?
What ground improvements do you want to be told about?

So, you're criticising Talal for being on twitter too much last season ........ and not enough this season? Is that right?

Seriously, what is the problem here? The club - and those who run it - won a number of awards last season, and yet our fans want to whinge about stuff that doesn't negatively affect em (yet) in any way whatsoever.

I fully get it that when the season kicks in, they can then moan about the football/results/tactics/team selection/substitutions/pies/etc, - all of which they'll probably be wrong about, based on previous evidence - but I suppose that until then, we'll have to put up with this drivel.

:shrug:
Yes to some it does matter. Think you need to take the blinkers off. Open your Eyes they haven’t Spent any thing on the stadium or players since promotion

Yes to some it does matter. Think you need to take the blinkers off. Open your Eyes they haven’t Spent any thing on the stadium or players since promotion

Perhaps you need to take your own advice.

There has been a further injection of funds into the club to the tune of 4.7million according to reports.

They have brought in three young and promising players to bolster the U23's, one of which was highly sought after by other clubs and another from a local rival team were he was an ever present in their youth set up.

They have also revamped some of the hospitality venues and have plans to convert Rigaletto's into a sports bar.

For a club in dire straits financially they seem to me to be going in the right direction.