Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 34 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

would you not question his ambition and motivation whichever league two club it was?
Fair point... but there’s a world of difference playing in front of sell-out 10,000 crowds every week and a village team who struggle to get 2,000.

Perhaps akin to choosing to play for somebody like Crystal Palace in the Premier League over Man Utd or Liverpool just because they’re offering a higher wedge.

While I'm sure crowds are a nice bonus, that is all they are. Players simply would not choose Lincoln if our negotiating position was "we'll offer you half what they're offering, but think of the crowds".

In my world - company a offers £40k and tells you about the coffee machine and the free fruit basket, company b offers £60k.

While I'm sure crowds are a nice bonus, that is all they are. Players simply would not choose Lincoln if our negotiating position was "we'll offer you half what they're offering, but think of the crowds".

I refer you to my previous post.

In my world - company a offers £40k and tells you about the coffee machine and the free fruit basket, company b offers £60k.

And the boss is a twat, treats you like shit, the environment is awful, you don't develop and are training with the Academy 3 months in on your 2 year contract. you're 26 years old. good luck getting a good contract at the next club.

Then either you know for certain that the players you cite are being paid less than their contemporaries, or you're speculating to fit a narrative.

I am assuming that Frec is on less than he was on at Rotherham and that Blackburn offered Bossy more than we did but both chose us. With Eards I'm believing the rumours that top end league one clubs were after him, so again I assume that meant more money but he signed for Danny and Lincoln City ahead of more money.

When it comes down to support we can have a large say in whether a player would like to enjoy playing here, when it comes down to money, we probably don't.

I would be astounded if the likes of Bogle dropped down anywhere other than a Mansfield/FGR because they can simply outbid most others and not bat an eyelid about wiping off such debts.

I am assuming that Frec is on less than he was on at Rotherham and that Blackburn offered Bossy more than we did but both chose us. With Eards I'm believing the rumours that top end league one clubs were after him, so again I assume that meant more money but he signed for Danny and Lincoln City ahead of more money.

There are some extenuating circumstances to these.

I'm sure Frecklington took a wage cut but he was winding down at Rotherham, looking for a contract and a club close to home wanted him. Mansfield were in the hunt and whatever we offered would have to have been at least competitive.

We've all heard the story about Bostwick and his kids, which is wonderful. That and location were factors, but we would have to have offered something competitive, or at least not insulting, compared to Blackburn's offer.

Eardley is a funny one. He'd been turned down by Port Vale and desperately needed a club, and we came in for him a few days before the season began with a six month contract plus extension clause. It took several months for him to sign a new contract after that. Again, we would have had to have offered him something competitive or else he would have gone, and the length of negotiations suggests he pushed the club quite a bit.

Now I'm not saying that any of these players weren't affected by the buzz around Lincoln City. It would be a bonus. But I honestly don't think it seals the deal, nor does it mean we can pay significantly less than other clubs in our division and the one above.

I wish it did - but think of some of the players we didn't get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you Graeme mate to some degree. I'm sure that we are competitive financially, but if we find the right individuals that buy into the journey, the club, the management, the development etc... then the extra £250-£300 a week on top of a 150 mile round trip to work each day somewhere else, make us a more attractive proposition rather than cash alone.

What are his wages going to be at Cardiff? £10,000 per week? Who can afford that in League Two? Forest Green can, if the £12,000 per week they are alleged to be paying George Williams is true. What does joining 'the smallest club in the Football League' (they aren't, but never mind) say about the ambition of a current Welsh international?

Surely financial fair play will prevent anyone spending that much on wages for just one player. In the unlikely event that he does come on loan to a league 2 club, it’ll be hugely reduced wages. He could be going back to Grimsby!

I don’t get the tone we offer clean air smiles and low wages

We are competitive

Forest green (they have since vince took over) have the odd crazy moment where they pay silly money but I would imagine we are as good a payer as anyone.

We will have 20 well paid league 2 players and not 30 average paid league 2 players.

No disrespect to Grimsby we are in a different league within a league to them.

Whitehouse did a good job for us but we move on. As the echo said he was offfered less by Lincoln then Grimsby as a reflection of worth to Lincoln for the 18/19 season. That budget will now be spent on the 1-20

Getting players to come to Lincoln is all about "Selling the Dream" and we are lucky that at the moment we have a Dream to sell. There are so many positives at the moment - Success (players want to win trophies), The Cowleys (reputation, stability and loyalty), the Support (playing in front of full stadiums, Investment (the Training Ground & Share Purchases), no club debt (the bubble isn't going to burst any time soon), player development and transfer upward (the Raggett & Woodyard example), and of course the train ride upwards (buying into next year and the year beyond). I also don't think - despite Danny's comments - that there isn't the ability or willingness to pay a competitive wage for the right player. One of the things that I think the management have been clever with is juggling transfer fees, wages, young loanees and the size of the squad in order to get better quality players on free transfers at higher wages at the expense of having less of them at the club. On the downside Lincoln is only 40 miles from Grimsby.

Surely financial fair play will prevent anyone spending that much on wages for just one player. In the unlikely event that he does come on loan to a league 2 club, it’ll be hugely reduced wages. He could be going back to Grimsby!

He will not be on £12k. He might have been on £4K with Fulham (bit part player only) and perhaps now on £3k.

I would imagine that a league 2 club will be paying % of bogal weekly wage

I think we spoke to Payne before he moved to Shrewsbury, from Barnsley.

Absolutely correct. I have a good pal who is close to the action at Barnsley and he actually told me Payne was coming on loan to us then he went to Shrewsbury when they came for him.

Yep, Stefan Payne was doing the rounds as a possible rumour a while ago so it's very likely he will be looked at again. Unlike the Bogle chance I reckon we have a better shot at getting someone like SP in and he still has a decent goal scoring record.

Can't see Payne or Bogle myself. Payne Shrews top scorer, why would they let him go? Can't see Bogle in League 2 at all. But if he was to drop down, it won't necessarily be who can off the biggest wages, I would guess Cardiff will pay most his wage wherever he ends up.