Standing - Sit Down! | Page 8 | Vital Football

Standing - Sit Down!

I wonder if this problem, which I believe specifically has been so badly increased this season, is because the premiership only lightweight cans have starting coming/returned and seen others doing it and believed it to be OK?

If they are that plastic that they only watch premiership football they probably aren't going to understand anything the pre dates the league?!? They might not even know football existed before Sky!

I'm slightly worried that I'm going to become infamous as the only Villa fan against standing! :help:

But that's not true, I want people to be able to enjoy the game and supporting the team, I just don't want the standers to do it in a way that stops people who don't want to/can't stand from enjoying the game and supporting the team.

I'm slightly worried that I'm going to become infamous as the only Villa fan against standing! :help:

But that's not true, I want people to be able to enjoy the game and supporting the team, I just don't want the standers to do it in a way that stops people who don't want to/can't stand from enjoying the game and supporting the team.

Not at all mate, I am with you 100%. Which is why I front-paged your post - hope you don't mind?!!

Until 'safe' standing is permitted by the government, everyone who does habitually stand at games should have a word with themselves. So many people live in an entitled bubble these days - I'm alright Jack and everyone else can f**k off. Attitudes need to change!

On a separate note, try watching a sporting event here in the US at any stadium. Food vendors constantly walking up and down the steps selling, people getting up and down throughout to visit the concourse. It drives you potty. I don't even bother going to stadiums here because the experience of watching is completely ruined by having your view blocked every 30 seconds!

I imagine it's a nightmare to see anything even when you are sitting down what with all Americans basically being fat.

I've been following (without commenting) this thread since it opened. Some interesting debate. I am one of those that thinks following rules isn't especially difficult, and don't see much point in arguing about it. Football grounds have been all-seated for 20+ years now, so we've all had plenty of time to get used to it. Standing up when we score (or for some other major moment of excitement) is a spontaneous and understandable reaction. The rest of the time - just sit down.

To your point JF, about MPs and authorities being unwilling to consider standing areas, I think it boils down to the fact that nobody wants to be "the person" who initiates standing areas because of potential liability in the case of something going wrong. The findings and resultant changes of the taylor report were undoubtedly overkill, but if you take a step back, we haven't had another hillsbrough or Bradford incident since, so why would authorities want to "reverse" anything? The backlash from Hillsbrough is still going on today. I remember seeing a headline quite recently that somebody was in court regarding his actions on that day. Imagine being the MP who pushes for standing at grounds, knowing that if something goes wrong you could be publicly shamed, sued, and have your life ruined some 25 years after the fact...

On a separate note, try watching a sporting event here in the US at any stadium. Food vendors constantly walking up and down the steps selling, people getting up and down throughout to visit the concourse. It drives you potty. I don't even bother going to stadiums here because the experience of watching is completely ruined by having your view blocked every 30 seconds!

Bradford was a fire, nothing to do with standing, terracing, fencing/cages etc.

I'm with gm on those points.
If safe designated standing areas were brought in I'd have no objection and would welcome the choice for those who wish to stand in them. The problem would arise if fans in adjacent areas took it as an excuse to stand as well. I can see a knock on effect developing with large swathes, not within the designated areas, standing en masse.

Well this is where the stewards and/or police would need to be on the ball and make sure it doesn’t happen. There’d be no excuse to be standing in a seated area when there is a standing area, didn’t/can’t get a ticket? Tough. If there appears to be more demand that availability then the club would have to look at increasing the size of the area as they have done at Celtic.

I’ve been to Celtic since they’ve had their standing area and you can’t get in that area without a ticket even if there are empty spaces, the stewards are well on top of it. The atmosphere was great in there though with everyone standing and singing.

Not at all mate, I am with you 100%. Which is why I front-paged your post - hope you don't mind?!!

Until 'safe' standing is permitted by the government, everyone who does habitually stand at games should have a word with themselves. So many people live in an entitled bubble these days - I'm alright Jack and everyone else can f**k off. Attitudes need to change!
That is not the attitude that has come across in this thread. It has been fairly well balanced and if you cant put your point of view what is the point of the forum.

Been a great debate but to be fair, I've not seen anyone saying they didn't realise it was a problem and that they would re-assess their attitude. It seems to me, to be very much, 'I stand, I'm going to continue to stand, I don't see the problem and I should be allowed to.'

Fact remains, you aren't allowed to, the debate of whether you should be allowed to is a totally different debate. You should be, but not in an all seater area, it isn't safe, a safe standing stand would be. But they aren't currently being sanctioned legally.

I feel sorry for the people being forced to move personally, not those who aren't able to sing if they aren't standing!