Standing - Sit Down! | Page 6 | Vital Football

Standing - Sit Down!

I hope you know that I wasn't accusing you of being selfish directly, wittonite. I latched onto your post because I couldn't quite understand what you meant at first.

I just felt like the point needed raising. I understand that some areas of the ground are known for standing, rightly or wrongly.

My main point is that this is a growing problem in the lower Holte and North. It's caused particular problems for me because of my physical situation. As I said, I've loved sitting in the Holte for the last 12 years.

But since August I've had to stand. All game, every game. Just because huge swatches in front of me now suddenly don't want to sit down. And I just can't do that, so, regretfully, I'm now out of there.
As said previously by JF its a pity that it has come to that for you, and I hope that you make new Villa mates in your new seat.
No I didnt take it personal re the selfish comment, its a forum and we all contribute in our own way, and it is the differing views that make it such a good forum.
It would a bloody boring site if we all felt the same and were incapable of seeing someone elses point of view.
If the Newcastle game is the first one in your new seat I hope its a winning start for you.

As said previously by JF its a pity that it has come to that for you, and I hope that you make new Villa mates in your new seat.
No I didnt take it personal re the selfish comment, its a forum and we all contribute in our own way, and it is the differing views that make it such a good forum.
It would a bloody boring site if we all felt the same and were incapable of seeing someone elses point of view.
If the Newcastle game is the first one in your new seat I hope its a winning start for you.

I've still got 2 games left in the Holte, won't be moving until Southampton in the league (had already got separate tickets for Liverpool).

So hopefully the Villa boys can see out my Holte End days with a bang lol.

Registered to say I sit in Trinity middle and standing is becoming more of an issue. It's rarely constant standing other than near the end of the game but some people insist on standing up for every attack or quick break and then it's obviously a domino effect of people behind them being forced to stand.

The yo-yo-ing up and down all game is uncomfortable on my knees and there are older people sat around who can't stand up in time and inevitably miss big moments. I've seen arguments about standing this year and no doubt there will be physical confrontations this season.

I don't understand why it's happening so much now. I don't remember it being an issue last year at all. My best guess is that it's seen as a badge of honour to stand up as that's what the hardcore fans are doing. It is becoming tiresome now though. I would rather stand up all game than have to yo-yo up and down.

Is it worth speaking to a steward during a game and pointing the worst offenders out so they can have a word or would it be pointless?

I've said that a few times in this thread, football (not just this club) has allowed it to grow to the level that it is at. So they have a problem on their hands.

But also stated the club are getting more and more complaints, so it is a growing problem.

I've not called it a 'problem'. I've stated it is a problem. :nerner:

Luckily, it isn't something I have the problem of having to try to fix.

As long as all the selfish people are happy, I'm happy :eek::fish::clown:

There is certainly no ‘problem’ in L8, me and Dan have both said we chose that particular area/block because we know people stand there. That’s what’s needed, officially recognised areas for people to stand whether it’s a seated area where it’s tolerated for now or a proper rail seating area in the future, at least then there can be no arguments, same for away games. If I go abroad to a game in Germany for example and I can’t get a standing ticket then I sit and I respect that, we need that choice here and this debate will end.

Once upon a time the Holte End used to be all standing and similar to that of the Yellow Wall at Dortmund today, surely if you have a ticket for the Holte you’ve gotta half expect to stand a bit more than other parts of the ground? You buy a ticket there to be part of the atmosphere, personally I dont think you can do that sat down.

We are going around in circles though, there aren't designated areas to stand, because it is an all seater stadium. When the law changes, there would be designated areas.

I find it ridiculous that some of you, no offense, think you have to stand to make an atmosphere though.

Registered to say I sit in Trinity middle and standing is becoming more of an issue. It's rarely constant standing other than near the end of the game but some people insist on standing up for every attack or quick break and then it's obviously a domino effect of people behind them being forced to stand.

The yo-yo-ing up and down all game is uncomfortable on my knees and there are older people sat around who can't stand up in time and inevitably miss big moments. I've seen arguments about standing this year and no doubt there will be physical confrontations this season.

I don't understand why it's happening so much now. I don't remember it being an issue last year at all. My best guess is that it's seen as a badge of honour to stand up as that's what the hardcore fans are doing. It is becoming tiresome now though. I would rather stand up all game than have to yo-yo up and down.

Is it worth speaking to a steward during a game and pointing the worst offenders out so they can have a word or would it be pointless?

Sums up what I am being told. It is spreading. And as you say, if one stands, another stands, and so on. I agree btw, the up and down is a right pest.

Be interesting how the club deal with this, if they do get fined and if any of the fans give a damn about it. Doesn't sound like a fair few will given the comments in this fascinating thread.

Once upon a time the Holte End used to be all standing

No shit sherlock! Used to stand in there, it was great, albeit football was a tad different back then, as were the facilities. The youngsters I don't think would quite believe the conditions on and off the pitch.

But it isn't once upon a time now, because once upon another time, the Taylor Report was done and the law was changed and they removed the most awesome end of pitch stand in the universe.

You are arguing about something that many of us think should be. Not what is. It is an all seater stadium. So your 'problems' are other peoples problems, and it doesn't actually matter where you chose to stand, or Dan, or anyone else, just that the club are getting pressure because it is an all seater stadium and people are standing in it.

Trouble is, at games, as a customer, that isn't something you'd want to be doing really is it? And are the stewards equipped to deal with it? Not sure.

We are going around in circles though, there aren't designated areas to stand, because it is an all seater stadium. When the law changes, there would be designated areas.

I find it ridiculous that some of you, no offense, think you have to stand to make an atmosphere though.

So why in all the time I’ve been in L8 or before that in the lower north has no one come and forced me to sit down? The club have allowed the problem to develop so can hardly feel sorry for them. People stand in those areas and are happy doing so, so there’s no problem. If there are problems elsewhere such as the Trinity Road (where i’d fully expect to be sat down and have no problem with it) mentioned above then the club should deal with that. If this thread hadn’t of been started I wouldn’t be aware of any problem at all such is the harmony in L8, it seems the problem is elsewhere to me and is probably down to a rise in attendance and 6,000 new season ticket holders who’ve come back to watch the team.

Personally I find it ridiculous that an atmosphere can seriously be created sitting down, that’s why standing areas in Germany exist and at gigs for that matter.

Last edited:
I know this is a contentious post, but if you want to sit and enjoy the game without the yo-yo ing, why don’t you move to the Trinity or DE?

The Holte is supposed to be about atmosphere, if all 13k people sit the atmosphere will dissipate quickly. The atmosphere this season has been unbelievable at times I can’t remember it being this good. If the atmosphere was shit, this would be a post about how we improve the atmosphere and get people singing scripted songs.

I don’t understand why you’d sit in the Holte if you don’t want to contribute to the atmosphere or put up with the yo-yo standing?

I guess people choose to sit in the Holte for the atmosphere, but if that goes I don’t get why you’d do it. The view of the game is good, but sat on the sideline rather than behind a goal for me is a much better way to analyse a game.

We won’t find reasonable ground here between the differing views, I think the place we all agree is the sooner we get safe standing the better. I suspect then there will be a high demand for the standing spaces, if only a few thousand seats get changed.

No shit sherlock! Used to stand in there, it was great, albeit football was a tad different back then, as were the facilities. The youngsters I don't think would quite believe the conditions on and off the pitch.

But it isn't once upon a time now, because once upon another time, the Taylor Report was done and the law was changed and they removed the most awesome end of pitch stand in the universe.

You are arguing about something that many of us think should be. Not what is. It is an all seater stadium. So your 'problems' are other peoples problems, and it doesn't actually matter where you chose to stand, or Dan, or anyone else, just that the club are getting pressure because it is an all seater stadium and people are standing in it.
You and zerocool are correct about one thing (maybe more than one thing :grinning:), it is spreading.
Last season for the Small Heath and Baggies semi-final I couldnt get Holte End so went in A2 Trinity. Not happy but still a ticket is a ticket.
So imagine my delight when I discovered that on the day A2 had become an extension of K4.
The atmosphere up there was great, though I accept for some fans who thought they were going to have a civilised ninety minutes wernt so pleased.
Wont add any more because as you say we are covering old ground.

I know this is a contentious post, but if you want to sit and enjoy the game without the yo-yo ing, why don’t you move to the Trinity or DE?

The Holte is supposed to be about atmosphere, if all 13k people sit the atmosphere will dissipate quickly. The atmosphere this season has been unbelievable at times I can’t remember it being this good. If the atmosphere was shit, this would be a post about how we improve the atmosphere and get people singing scripted songs.

I don’t understand why you’d sit in the Holte if you don’t want to contribute to the atmosphere or put up with the yo-yo standing?

I guess people choose to sit in the Holte for the atmosphere, but if that goes I don’t get why you’d do it. The view of the game is good, but sat on the sideline rather than behind a goal for me is a much better way to analyse a game.

We won’t find reasonable ground here between the differing views, I think the place we all agree is the sooner we get safe standing the better. I suspect then there will be a high demand for the standing spaces, if only a few thousand seats get changed.

You'd sit in there because it is an all seater stadium, it isn't a standing area.

Why should people move to suit some of you?

Great atmosphere? Now we have had a few games in the Prem it has got a better, it was pathetic for large chunks of our time in the Championship, but then some fans only attend (not you know I know) when we are in the PL apparently, then think they are hard core so have to stand.

Are you telling me people can't sing about their obsession with shitting and the neighbours down the road whilst seating :grinning:

Some are getting very defensive, but the problem, from what I can tell, isn't just one area of the Holte where people have clear signing disabilities which will have to be taken into account. I'll have a google later to see what else can be done to help those whose vocal cords are dictated by their legs. It sounds worse than my brain disease so maybe I've taken too hard a line with some of you, I apologise.

It isn't yo yo standing that is changing the debate, it is standing.

But again, I repeat, it is all around the ground, just some of the Holte Enders seem to be slightly more delicate these days. Wasn't like that when I used to stand in there.

So why in all the time I’ve been in L8 or before that in the lower north has no one come and forced me to sit down? The club have allowed the problem to develop so can hardly feel sorry for them.

Where in this debate have I singled out one area in one stand?

And it is very difficult for a few stewards to try to force anyone in a crowd to do anything. They face enough shite already, and you see some of the hassle very clearly in the North Stand Lower at times.

And the new regime are just that, new, so they can't have allowed anything to have developed. So if they start taking fines or sanctions, I'll feel sorry for them, as I expect them to support us to get us back to where we want to be, so I expect to support them.

You'd sit in there because it is an all seater stadium, it isn't a standing area.

Why should people move to suit some of you?

Great atmosphere? Now we have had a few games in the Prem it has got a better, it was pathetic for large chunks of our time in the Championship, but then some fans only attend (not you know I know) when we are in the PL apparently, then think they are hard core so have to stand.

Are you telling me people can't sing about their obsession with shitting and the neighbours down the road whilst seating :grinning:

Some are getting very defensive, but the problem, from what I can tell, isn't just one area of the Holte where people have clear signing disabilities which will have to be taken into account. I'll have a google later to see what else can be done to help those whose vocal cords are dictated by their legs. It sounds worse than my brain disease so maybe I've taken too hard a line with some of you, I apologise.

It isn't yo yo standing that is changing the debate, it is standing.

But again, I repeat, it is all around the ground, just some of the Holte Enders seem to be slightly more delicate these days. Wasn't like that when I used to stand in there.

Thats because we’re all snowflakes and we would never want to let our Gazelles get piss on them like in the good old days :grinning:

Thats because we’re all snowflakes and we would never want to let our Gazelles get piss on them like in the good old days :grinning:

The truth will out!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Blimey I miss the old gaff, steam rising in the Holte End would signal a bloke too drunk to go to the toilet, I say toilet, I mean overflowing trough.

Ahhh, the good old days!!!!!!!!

Oh and the kids going in with milk crates to stand on, or being lifted over the turnstyle to get in, and I think deanovilla was amongst these, climbing parts of the old floodlights !

I'm wondering if stewards being allowed to have truncheons just to lightly whack peoples knees so they have to sit might be the most logical way to deal with this?

I'm not talking about breaking legs, just cracking the knees.

:turtle:

:hammer:

Just watched the leadership (sic) debate between dumb and dumber. They both stood throughout.

Light bulb moment for me why you want to stand.

:clown1:

By they way, anyone in this thread admitting to stand will be reported to the club unless they buy at least 2 copies of my book.

Harsh but fair.

#fearbribesall sorry, I mean #fearconquersall