Spurs v Cardiff | Page 5 | Vital Football

Spurs v Cardiff

A year ago I was one of the clan that constantly derided Moussa Sissoko as not being fit to put the spurs shirt on .
I'm glad he has made me rethink and re evaluate his worth . I applaud him for that . I don't think he will ever make my preferred starting eleven though, but he has made me eat my words before . If he does it again ,I will be over the moon ,for him and the team .

A year ago I was one of the clan that constantly derided Moussa Sissoko as not being fit to put the spurs shirt on .
I'm glad he has made me rethink and re evaluate his worth . I applaud him for that . I don't think he will ever make my preferred starting eleven though, but he has made me eat my words before . If he does it again ,I will be over the moon ,for him and the team .

He's not even in the top 2 subs for his best position. But it's a squad game and he's really not as bad as some make out.

He's not even in the top 2 subs for his best position. But it's a squad game and he's really not as bad as some make out.

Sissoko does well against weaker teams, he bullies them with his strength and pace. Against better teams he is useless.

That's why he should have started last week, which would probably mitigated the chance of Dembele getting injured.

Harry has come out and said the pitch wasn't great so they had to just see the game out. While that may be true, we missed some good chances so should have been out of sight. As I said in another thread, to present a pitch like that because a non football event took place is not acceptable.

Harry has come out and said the pitch wasn't great so they had to just see the game out. While that may be true, we missed some good chances so should have been out of sight. As I said in another thread, to present a pitch like that because a non football event took place is not acceptable.

At least we have the retractable pitch in the new stadium, so no excuses then.

I was close to the pitch, it was an utter disgrace.

At least we have the retractable pitch in the new stadium, so no excuses then.

Exactly but somehow a nagging doubt is niggling away at me. I can just see it all going terribly wrong with so many scenarios possible !! To make us the laughing stock....again. A tray gets stuck, the grass goes soggy, the growing lamps short out, I dunno, summat will happen.

I was close to the pitch, it was an utter disgrace.
Being close to the pitch does give a different perspective. I know you have seen the players many times and can probably tell if they are sharp or not. Any concerns or impressions of individuals performances ?

Glad to see that the Sissoko mockers are starting to change their tune.I've always thought that with his power & pace he would come good given more playing time & confidence. I believe we have let perfectly good players go in the past without giving them more playing time or playing them in the wrong position.Necessity is forcing us to play Sissoko,Lamela,Winks & Moura.They are all doing a good job.

Being close to the pitch does give a different perspective. I know you have seen the players many times and can probably tell if they are sharp or not. Any concerns or impressions of individuals performances ?

Sissoko impressed in spurts, and for me to say that is really pleasing - but when he's pressed he reverts to type.

Apart from that I thought we looked sharper than we have done all season so far - but Poch looks like he's suddenly aged, something is bugging him, no idea what.

Glad to see that the Sissoko mockers are starting to change their tune.I've always thought that with his power & pace he would come good given more playing time & confidence. I believe we have let perfectly good players go in the past without giving them more playing time or playing them in the wrong position.Necessity is forcing us to play Sissoko,Lamela,Winks & Moura.They are all doing a good job.

As one who never ever wanted Sissoko here and thought he was a technically incompetent player, I am still unconvinced even if I did praise him for finally delivering a better game Saturday. But as any supporter should, I pray that he turns it on and finally shows why we spent what was at the time a club record on a pretty poor player.

But as always, and as I said elsewhere out of necessity comes invention and often in these situations being forced into a different formation/different starters can change thinking and pay dividends.

Last edited:
When we say Sissoko impressed in spurts, it not that he was impressive, its that he was not his usual self that we are used to seeing.....which gives the impression of being impressive, however in reality, he's average.

Also, it's not that fans don't appreciate a win when it's "ugly'. Our overall performances have not been that of a club that is going to challenge for the title, and that in itself is disappointing, given the high hopes most of us had about this season.

Don't get me wrong. Being only 2 points off the top is absolutely incredible, but we must look at the big picture. It will get a hell of a lot tougher from here on in, as we've mainly played teams we're expected to take full points from.

As it gets tougher, I'm not sure we have the depth, nor the nous from Poch to give this thing a red hot crack.

I really hope I'm wrong.

We're seeing shades of the old Danny Rose which is such a welcomed bonus, now hopefully Sanchez, Dier, Winks, Lamela and Moura will step up whilst we deal with injuries and out of form players.

What's the GK answer? Hugo's confidence is not going to increase whilst on the bench, so I say play him (in PL games) until such time as his howlers really start to cost us, then it's Gazza time.

As one who never ever wanted Sissoko here and thought he was a technically incompetent player, I am still unconvinced even if I did praise him for finally delivering a better game Saturday. But as any supporter should, I pray that he turns it on and finally shows why we spent what was at the time a club record on a pretty poor player.

But as always, and as I said elsewhere out of neccessity comes invention and often in these situation being forced into a different formation/different starters can change thinking and pay dividends.

I was one of the few who wanted Sissoko here, as I saw a way to utilise his power and pace to stretch games and in theory create room for our adept players. But it hasn't quite worked out in the way I had hoped. My tune has changed from optimism to despair as I watch at how technically incompetent he is. He has a lot of improvement to make to re-create the good vibes I once had about him.

I just don't rate the guy at all, that doesnt mean he has never done 'a job' but IMO he lacks the basics to be a Spurs player. I think he has had more than a fair share of opportunities without ever proving himself worthy of a place in the side. We have let others go without giving them so many chances. Whenever I see his name of course I hope if he gets on the pitch he does well, I have only ever seen adequate - and not even that very often.
I would much rather Skipps or similar to get the chance, of the many many Spurs supporters I know, I have yet to find one who thinks he can do, or should even be given the opportunity of doing - a decent job for us.

Poch has sa
I just don't rate the guy at all, that doesnt mean he has never done 'a job' but IMO he lacks the basics to be a Spurs player. I think he has had more than a fair share of opportunities without ever proving himself worthy of a place in the side. We have let others go without giving them so many chances. Whenever I see his name of course I hope if he gets on the pitch he does well, I have only ever seen adequate - and not even that very often.
I would much rather Skipps or similar to get the chance, of the many many Spurs supporters I know, I have yet to find one who thinks he can do, or should even be given the opportunity of doing - a decent job for us.[/QUOTE

Poch has said Sissoko is a unique player in his ability to use his power and pace both defensively and in attack. Box to box I guess. He knows better than us what he sees as his best uses. He is versatile and has worked briefly at RB, RW, DM and AM. Not to any great standard I admit but that is often the case with versatile players. He covers injuries, freshens tired legs as a sub and provides rotation options. I don't see him as any more than that.

Poch has sa

Yep I accept he has had his uses and his versatility....I just wish the opportunities offered to him, were offered to someone 'coming through the system' IMO its hard to imagine say Skipps being less effective if given the same amount of playing time. I can only assume that the fee we paid, together with the fact that nobody is going to give us anything like that for him, plays some part - if only to ensure that even if it was overall money not well spent, we are getting some sweat for it. In fact there is a part of me that feels sorry for the guy he will know that he hasn't 'lived up to the fee' even though of course he didn't set it

Skipp is pushing for an opportunity. I think Poch would bring him on with 20 odd minutes to go in a safe game ideally, then gradually ease him into a potential starter . I want to see him developed too. Sissoko is very experienced so when a win is crucial like it was, I can understand starting him instead of Skipp. If we were out of sight after 60 minutes, Skipp may have come on.

The guy certainly is an enigma . I think he has had more threads on here than anybody or anything and even has the ability to transform a thread on the Cardiff game into yet another one on him . What is irrefutable is that everyone has a point of view on him . Proverbial " marmite " , love him (!) or dislike like him, he gets us talking .
I'm with Total on this , let's give Skipp a chance . What I saw off him pre season I really liked .
Getting back to the Cardiff game , how does Warnock get away with what he said to ,and about Harry . .?
Can retrospective action not be brought in to punish him for calling a professional footballer a twat and to accuse him of getting his player sent off

The guy certainly is an enigma . I think he has had more threads on here than anybody or anything and even has the ability to transform a thread on the Cardiff game into yet another one on him . What is irrefutable is that everyone has a point of view on him . Proverbial " marmite " , love him (!) or dislike like him, he gets us talking .
I'm with Total on this , let's give Skipp a chance . What I saw off him pre season I really liked .
Getting back to the Cardiff game , how does Warnock get away with what he said to ,and about Harry . .?
Can retrospective action not be brought in to punish him for calling a professional footballer a twat and to accuse him of getting his player sent off

Yup Mike Dean was getting messages from his linesman while it was all kicking off I think so he would have made the right decision anyway without our players disgust at the tackle. Knee high wipe out at pace, god knows what injuries could have resulted. Malicious and dangerous play. Warnock is wrong to draw attention and appeal this. I hope the player gets an increased ban.