Spurs v Cardiff | Page 4 | Vital Football

Spurs v Cardiff

The good news is that it can only get better.
We are winning ugly which is something we never could do a few years ago!
What makes people say this? You know it can get worse right? We a state defensively you dont have to be Barca to expose this Jan is not goi g to be firing for probably 9 weeks. Rose looks hurt Aurier is out for another while. Toby wants out and Sanchez looks lost. Plus we never rebalanced like for like at wingback. Theres loads of scope for worse but Lord knowsI hope your right.

Guess the real test will be if we can beat anyone in the top 5-6.

Up until now we have beat teams I would argue are weaker and we should be getting results from. (with the exception of Liverpool...United is looks like they are in freefall so I count them as a 'weaker team'.)

We have been winning ugly against weaker teams. It is good to get results when playing bad or when missing players...but my concern is that we seem to be consistently playing badly and having to win ugly ALL the time.

We need to break out of this funk

Guess the real test will be if we can beat anyone in the top 5-6.

Up until now we have beat teams I would argue are weaker and we should be getting results from. (with the exception of Liverpool...United is looks like they are in freefall so I count them as a 'weaker team'.)

We have been winning ugly against weaker teams. It is good to get results when playing bad or when missing players...but my concern is that we seem to be consistently playing badly and having to win ugly ALL the time.

We need to break out of this funk

I would really love to know what the players think of this no transfers in.

I wonder how many would have wanted out in the summer if they had known the extent of this clubs lack of ambition and how many have already decided that they are off at the first opportunity ?

That would explain a lot.

And the fans are voting with their wallets. Did u see how empty Wembley was yesterday?
I read that Wembley wasn't allowed to be at full capacity yesterday. Too many events there with the Man City game added. Spurs had to choose what games to have at full capacity. Naturally, Cardiff was the choice to have at lower capacity. The upper tiers were closed, not because of a lack of tickets sold, but because low capacity was a requirement.

pro
The good news is that it can only get better.
We are winning ugly which is something we never could do a few years ago!

Problem is Spesh, we're winning ugly against teams we should be giving a lesson in football.
Poch does not learn from these matches.

76% possession
19 shots (7 on target)
685 passes
1 goal.

All this against Cardiff who have achieved 2 points from a possible 24 and conceded an average of 2.125 goals per game.

That's worse than winning ugly.

We did create and miss some good chances. Had a pen refused that was a good shout. The scoreline didn't tell the full story . Could easily have had 3 more goals. I watched the City v Pool game and very few chances were created and no goals. They are very strong attacking sides. The execution of any half chances was poor by both, even a pen was blasted over the bar !!

We did create and miss some good chances. Had a pen refused that was a good shout. The scoreline didn't tell the full story . Could easily have had 3 more goals. I watched the City v Pool game and very few chances were created and no goals. They are very strong attacking sides. The execution of any half chances was poor by both, even a pen was blasted over the bar !!

3 decades later, Chrissy Waddle can finally sleep easy at night !!!

pro

Problem is Spesh, we're winning ugly against teams we should be giving a lesson in football.
Poch does not learn from these matches.

76% possession
19 shots (7 on target)
685 passes
1 goal.

All this against Cardiff who have achieved 2 points from a possible 24 and conceded an average of 2.125 goals per game.

That's worse than winning ugly.

I take your point, but my point is that it can't get any worse and yet we are 2 points off top of the table.

I am pretty sure we will finish more than 2 points off top but to be there after 8 games and with all the issues we've had is a bonus. It will get worse gap wise but I think our performances will get better.

First thing first, Sissoko played pretty well; I have to hope this is another sign that he does have better decision making and better control in him than to date...worth almost an 8/10 against difficult opponents.

Secondly, we won against some of the most negative, dirty tactics we will see this season at a home game.

Thirdly, we should have put away at least 2, possibly 3 other chances.

A good win, contrary to the negativity that's being expressed, we are progressing - just not as quick as anyone would have wished.

Things will get tougher from here; Poch will have his hands full now that's for sure - injuries and fatigue are going to play a massive role in our performances from here until xmas.

I read that Wembley wasn't allowed to be at full capacity yesterday. Too many events there with the Man City game added. Spurs had to choose what games to have at full capacity. Naturally, Cardiff was the choice to have at lower capacity. The upper tiers were closed, not because of a lack of tickets sold, but because low capacity was a requirement.

that was the case, tickets were limited by Brent Council.

First thing first, Sissoko played pretty well; I have to hope this is another sign that he does have better decision making and better control in him than to date...worth almost an 8/10 against difficult opponents.

Secondly, we won against some of the most negative, dirty tactics we will see this season at a home game.

Thirdly, we should have put away at least 2, possibly 3 other chances.

A good win, contrary to the negativity that's being expressed, we are progressing - just not as quick as anyone would have wished.

Things will get tougher from here; Poch will have his hands full now that's for sure - injuries and fatigue are going to play a massive role in our performances from here until xmas.
Realism! I do like a realistic post , thanks Ex .
Whenever we lost against " lower" teams we slaughtered ourselves for failing in not being able to win UGLY.
When we do win UGLY, against teams that come to Wembley to get a point at ANY cost ,and in Neil Warnock's that that needs to be seen to be believed ,and with a third of our first team missing ,it would seem to some to be still not good enough .
Oh well

Interestingly Sissoko played 4 key passes leading to chances, more than any other Spurs player. He was subbed late in the game and received a standing ovation. He has proved in the past the more he plays the better he gets. This pattern is quite normal for most players of course.

Yet on here many deride him for not having technical skills or being negative in possession, passing backwards etc. His physical effort and energy levels too could not be questioned so his attitude is positive.

I have never said he is anything special .

Interestingly Sissoko played 4 key passes leading to chances, more than any other Spurs player. He was subbed late in the game and received a standing ovation. He has proved in the past the more he plays the better he gets. This pattern is quite normal for most players of course.

Yet on here many deride him for not having technical skills or being negative in possession, passing backwards etc. His physical effort and energy levels too could not be questioned so his attitude is positive.

I have never said he is anything special .

He certainly had one of his better games, and with the injuries we have, he will have his uses esp if he continues to put in performances like that!

I've said before Sissoko is decent as cover when we have multiple injuries. I've also said he improves when he gets a run in the team.

Of course his salary and fee are way ott for where he is in our pecking order but he can do a job and the negatives are often over the top.

That said, when Sissoko breaks forward with the ball at Wembley there's sarcastic applause if he ends up maintaining possession. His technical deficiencies in possession are there for all to see.