SOUTHAMPTON vTOTTENHAM Saturday 28th March 3pm kick off MATCH THREAD | Page 12 | Vital Football

SOUTHAMPTON vTOTTENHAM Saturday 28th March 3pm kick off MATCH THREAD

The take I have on Conte ‘s rant is that

A) it’s a deflection on how poor a coach he is .

B) It’s a reflection on himself ..
He has been here fifteen months , and played the same team , same players , in the same position , in the same tactical unawareness, regardless of form and should have said what he said after a month of joining. Or , done his due diligence and said it before he joined .

C it’s a deflection on how poor a coach he is . Have I said that before ?

If he is saying that Lenglet , Perisic , Porro, Kuluveski , Richarlison , are selfish and not team players , that is further anecdotal evidence of a poor coach .

A manager / coach with his results /style this season would not not have lasted two months at Watford .

His team selections and substitutes have been appalling, the Sanchez choice sums it all up .

Exactly what was his thought process is bringing on Sarr yesterday …… exactly what did he expect him to do .

His rant yesterday reflects solely on him .. he has no excuses .

If they were selfish players yesterday , they have either always been selfish or they have become selfish .

Either way , it’s all on his watch .

He has let the club down .
He has let the players down .
He has let the fans down.

Sitting there and letting the club bottom of the league attack and run through us at will is scandalous .

Ninety five percent of the posters on this site would have managed this club better than him this season .

I just wonder who is the selfish one in all this .

Antonio Conte blames Tottenham players but is part of club's problems'

_90327002__64086311_phil-mcnulty_203x152.jpg

By Phil McNultyChief football writer
Last updated on 18 March 202318 March 2023.From the section Tottenham

'I see selfish players' - Conte furious after Spurs let lead slip at Southampton
The credits may be rolling on Antonio Conte's time as Tottenham Hotspur manager but it is clear the Italian will be going down swinging and taking a few others with him.
Conte's incendiary post-match inquest after Spurs cast aside a 3-1 lead to draw at struggling Southampton saw all the frustrations and discontent that have been simmering beneath the surface explode in public.
He delivered a scathing assessment of his players and the culture inside the club - warning that even if he is sacked, unless that changes the years without success will continue for Spurs.
In what looks increasingly like a loveless marriage between club and manager, Conte branded his players "selfish" and even referenced the Spurs owners as he threw verbal blows in all directions.
Conte delivered his theory on why Spurs fall short when he said: "Because they are used to it here. They are used to it. They don't play for something important. They don't want to play under pressure. They don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way. Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years the owner is here and they never won something, but why?"
For the purposes of accuracy, Spurs did win the League Cup in 2008 but the wider context of Conte's point is clear.

Quite how chairman Daniel Levy felt about Conte's verbal laceration of his squad and the club may only be revealed in time, but the more immediate question is how a group of players respond to being lambasted in such a fashion by their manager with fourth place still very much to play for.
Does Levy address the issue immediately, with all that will entail with the season at such a crucial stage, or will he just sit it out until Conte's contract finishes at the end of the campaign to offer up a natural separation point?
Conte dropped responsibility for Spurs' indifferent season at the feet of his players, but must also accept his share and there is a growing feeling that he is acting like he is doing Spurs a favour by managing them.
In an increasingly animated 10-minute speech, he said: "The problem is that for another time we showed we are not a team. We are 11 players that go on to the pitch. I see selfish players, I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart."
Conte may be right, but it is also his job to address this situation and he cannot escape his portion of the blame for performances as insipid as the goalless draw that saw Spurs crash out of the Champions League at home to AC Milan, or the concession of a comfortable position at St Mary's.
_129030156_gettyimages-1474372251.jpg

Antonio Conte delivered a scathing assessment of Spurs but he must accept some responsibility

It is not as though he is powerless to control events or his players. Spurs have problems and he is part of them.
He accused those attempting to factor in his own contract situation, or lack of, into the equation as searching for an "alibi" for the Spurs players. If this was an attempt to cajole a response out of those same players with ten games go and Spurs still in fourth place, it is a strategy laced with risk.
It can go one of two ways.
The Spurs players can go out of their way to prove Conte wrong, or could revolt against a manager who has made such a public spectacle of them.
The apparent absence of any desire on Conte's part to extend his relationship with Spurs - and vice versa - is hardly helping.
Conte's deal is up at the end of the season and the question lingering in the air after his blistering words at Southampton was whether he will actually make it through to the conclusion of his contract, not whether he will extend it.
And to add to the intrigue, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has an upcoming international break to think about it.

Who was it said we will see an exciting performance from our players at Southampton ?
More importantly, who left an ex goon totally unmarked six yards out with the ball at his feet .
Anybody, anybody but him .

One of the few positives that came out of yesterday was Porro. Not just his technique but he has that edgy look of a winner. Like Romero. Like Skipp is developing. We need to build a team of players with these characteristics.
Am in full agreement, however, will add that we need to do that before that streak has been beaten out of them, because that what ultimately happens at Spurs.

Removal of poor attitude of latter Dele and NDombele was the start of the clear out. Shame we didn't follow through with the process.

Antonio Conte blames Tottenham players but is part of club's problems'

_90327002__64086311_phil-mcnulty_203x152.jpg

By Phil McNultyChief football writer
Last updated on 18 March 202318 March 2023.From the section Tottenham

'I see selfish players' - Conte furious after Spurs let lead slip at Southampton
The credits may be rolling on Antonio Conte's time as Tottenham Hotspur manager but it is clear the Italian will be going down swinging and taking a few others with him.
Conte's incendiary post-match inquest after Spurs cast aside a 3-1 lead to draw at struggling Southampton saw all the frustrations and discontent that have been simmering beneath the surface explode in public.
He delivered a scathing assessment of his players and the culture inside the club - warning that even if he is sacked, unless that changes the years without success will continue for Spurs.
In what looks increasingly like a loveless marriage between club and manager, Conte branded his players "selfish" and even referenced the Spurs owners as he threw verbal blows in all directions.
Conte delivered his theory on why Spurs fall short when he said: "Because they are used to it here. They are used to it. They don't play for something important. They don't want to play under pressure. They don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way. Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years the owner is here and they never won something, but why?"
For the purposes of accuracy, Spurs did win the League Cup in 2008 but the wider context of Conte's point is clear.

Quite how chairman Daniel Levy felt about Conte's verbal laceration of his squad and the club may only be revealed in time, but the more immediate question is how a group of players respond to being lambasted in such a fashion by their manager with fourth place still very much to play for.
Does Levy address the issue immediately, with all that will entail with the season at such a crucial stage, or will he just sit it out until Conte's contract finishes at the end of the campaign to offer up a natural separation point?
Conte dropped responsibility for Spurs' indifferent season at the feet of his players, but must also accept his share and there is a growing feeling that he is acting like he is doing Spurs a favour by managing them.
In an increasingly animated 10-minute speech, he said: "The problem is that for another time we showed we are not a team. We are 11 players that go on to the pitch. I see selfish players, I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart."
Conte may be right, but it is also his job to address this situation and he cannot escape his portion of the blame for performances as insipid as the goalless draw that saw Spurs crash out of the Champions League at home to AC Milan, or the concession of a comfortable position at St Mary's.
_129030156_gettyimages-1474372251.jpg

Antonio Conte delivered a scathing assessment of Spurs but he must accept some responsibility
It is not as though he is powerless to control events or his players. Spurs have problems and he is part of them.
He accused those attempting to factor in his own contract situation, or lack of, into the equation as searching for an "alibi" for the Spurs players. If this was an attempt to cajole a response out of those same players with ten games go and Spurs still in fourth place, it is a strategy laced with risk.
It can go one of two ways.
The Spurs players can go out of their way to prove Conte wrong, or could revolt against a manager who has made such a public spectacle of them.
The apparent absence of any desire on Conte's part to extend his relationship with Spurs - and vice versa - is hardly helping.
Conte's deal is up at the end of the season and the question lingering in the air after his blistering words at Southampton was whether he will actually make it through to the conclusion of his contract, not whether he will extend it.
And to add to the intrigue, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has an upcoming international break to think about it.

A few years ago on one of the PL TV magazine problems I watched a well known journalist whose name I can't remember, have his say on Spurs. I can't remember word for word, but he 'effectively said 'The trouble with Tottenham is they think that, and act as if, they are a big Club, which they are not. If you go there everything about the place thinks and acts big, the facilities, the employees including the numbers employed, but most especially the attitude, which far exceeds the entitlement of what they've actually achieved.' I was pretty pissed off listening to it at the time, the journo was a known Arsenal supporter, who I felt was taking the opportunity to fire shots at my Club.

Increasingly subsequently however, and the above article by McNulty emphasises it, I have increasingly felt that the comments made were accurate. There seems to be a fundamental problem at the heart of the Club, being that the ownership, the management, the players and the fans all think that we are bigger and better than we actually are. Clearly Levy has always had a long term strategy to make Spurs one of the biggest Clubs in Europe, and the stadium project was a major stepping stone in that regard. Some years on however there has been little if any progress, the performance against Milan on a big European night shamed the Club and the superb surroundings the match was played in.

I have never doubted that Levy has a genuine commitment to the Club and wants to see success on the pitch, but where he has got it wrong is that other than Pochettino for a brief period, nobody else at the Club, including players, shares that commitment. They are transitory, and are all happy to be part of the 'we are a big Club' culture. Somehow a complete reset is required, we accept the fact that from a footballing perspective we are not a big Club, and find the correct personnel to both share Levy's long term vision, whilst being prepared to put in the loyalty, enthusiasm and hard yards necessary to transform the Club, from what in reality is a 'best of the rest Club, maybe' to a genuine 'big Club'.

Wenger did it at Arsenal, surely somebody can do it for us.

I've been one of those hoping for a Pochettino return because I believe we need a period of stability after the churn of managers we have seen. I also believe we have some really good young talent on our books and he could be the manager to mould a great team playing exciting attacking football. I have always qualified this desire to see him return by saying that I could only accept it if he gave a firm commitment to replacing the old guard, including Kane, Son and Lloris, but I'm having doubts that he would be ruthless enough to do so.

The take I have on Conte ‘s rant is that

A) it’s a deflection on how poor a coach he is .

B) It’s a reflection on himself ..
He has been here fifteen months , and played the same team , same players , in the same position , in the same tactical unawareness, regardless of form and should have said what he said after a month of joining. Or , done his due diligence and said it before he joined .

C it’s a deflection on how poor a coach he is . Have I said that before ?

If he is saying that Lenglet , Perisic , Porro, Kuluveski , Richarlison , are selfish and not team players , that is further anecdotal evidence of a poor coach .

A manager / coach with his results /style this season would not not have lasted two months at Watford .

His team selections and substitutes have been appalling, the Sanchez choice sums it all up .

Exactly what was his thought process is bringing on Sarr yesterday …… exactly what did he expect him to do .

His rant yesterday reflects solely on him .. he has no excuses .

If they were selfish players yesterday , they have either always been selfish or they have become selfish .

Either way , it’s all on his watch .

He has let the club down .
He has let the players down .
He has let the fans down.

Sitting there and letting the club bottom of the league attack and run through us at will is scandalous .

Ninety five percent of the posters on this site would have managed this club better than him this season .

I just wonder who is the selfish one in all this .

Conte is clearly not a poor coach, I dont think he is blameless - but calling a man that has won titles most other clubs he has been at does not make him a poor coach.

He will go on and win elsewhere after us as well.

I've been one of those hoping for a Pochettino return because I believe we need a period of stability after the churn of managers we have seen. I also believe we have some really good young talent on our books and he could be the manager to mould a great team playing exciting attacking football. I have always qualified this desire to see him return by saying that I could only accept it if he gave a firm commitment to replacing the old guard, including Kane, Son and Lloris, but I'm having doubts that he would be ruthless enough to do so.

Mopo returning just proves Contes point.

Of course everybody would accept that if the club & players weren't to take advantage of him once again. Pretty difficult to accept that would be the case mind, considering those very same people have been the ones calling for his return.

Watched the game on "Game of the Day" ummm! didn't see anything different, god knows why I watched.

For me 3 players stood out Romero, Porro n Skippy.
Next was Kulu n Hoj
The rest not alot to say
We are in a bad way.
As for the 2 main protagonists, HK n Son, lazy bastards who think/know they are bigger than the club and who's fault is that? answer the club itself and Conte!

Letting a bloody ex-gooner have all that space, I was bloody livid.

Why when 1-3 up go defensive? go for the throat! Conte's fault, simples!
Oh sorry this is Spurs and has been for a bloody number of years.

A number of years ago we were well beating MU at the Old WHL, what did Fergie say to his team..."Its only Spurs" result we lost, Spursey of old, still bloody here.

I have agreed with Conte's rant, but he does have to look at hisself aswell, though I do believe the culture that has brewed over many a season has to STOP, and bloody quickly.

I think that he is now experienced enough to know what will be best for him and the Club, toward which I think that he will have a genuine commitment. He won't be discarding Kane immediately though, he'll believe he can get him back to his best. Similarly, Pochettino returning is the only measure that may possibly have some impact on Kane's willingness to stay.
I'm speaking in the present tense because I think that there is every possibility that Poch will be reappointed during the international break. If what we read is accurate, Paratici will maybe not like it, but Levy will simply tell him to lump it.

Poor performance and result yesterday
Like PY I watched on game of the day
1st half we were so insipid.
We have this knack, which makes the opposition teams look so much better than they are, and indeed so much better than us.
What is the point of having Son on the pitch, he is, almost by definition the opposite of a 'Conte' player he gives nothing either offensively or defensively, easily dispossessed and shys, away (its obvious) from physical challanges.
How can a team be cruising, Coz that's what we were doing, 3-1 up collectively conspire to then almost lose the game.
Unlike PY, I didn't mind Sarr coming on to close up midfield.
My issue, was that Kane and Son weren't then offering an out let in attack.
With all that said
I just didn't see that as a pen, Saar jumped past the player, didn't touch him that I could see.
Ahh well nother ref decision goes, against us yet again
BTW, that commentator got just a bit too excited at Sotons goals
Is he another antiSpur.? 🙄

And the players must be demotivated to see unworthy players playing ahead of them.

Been this way for years mate....Kane has shit spells but always plays and is rarely sub'd. Same with Sonny and some others...

I don't really blame the players for that...I blame the coaching. Have some courage and sit their ass.

But we also have no leadership on the pitch...no on field general. Scotty Parker would have grabbed Sonny by the balls and told him to naffing up his game...like on the pitch while the game was going on. Would have loved to have seen that.

One of the few positives that came out of yesterday was Porro. Not just his technique but he has that edgy look of a winner. Like Romero. Like Skipp is developing. We need to build a team of players with these characteristics.

I agree Gary...but we tend to get rid of and loan out players that are like this. KWP, Gil, Spence, Danj cant' see the damn pitch, Sarr rarely plays...the list goes on and on.

We have a solid group of young players...Get them all playing together!!!! They are hungry and ready.

Our starters have done nothing to maintain their position...now we just need a coach that will do it.