Sjoke 3 points ? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sjoke 3 points ?

Don't you get the feeling, that it is building up to the last game of the season against Millwall. What a game that will be. They will have to close Wigan down for the Millwall invasion, can't wait.

Sjokes form before last nights game was pretty poor. 1 win in ten in all comps, goalless in last three league games. An under pressure inexperienced manager at this level to boot. As such whilst i wouldnt go so far to say they were there for the taking, they certainly weren't a team to fear and give so much respect to. For me our mentality to go out and win the game wasn't there and as per Saturday the focus was about not losing rather than winning. When you consider we're unlikely to pick up more than a point, maybe two, away from home between now and season end we have to going all out for the points at home. This turgid, fearful approach has to change. The change from how we approached the start of the season and how we play is quite marked - and not in a good way.
Magic wand needed then, perhaps you could call in and give Cook some advice on how we should be playing, better still lets give you a go for one game and then see how easy it actually is.
The players lack confidence, as is always the case when relegation is remotely threatened, as such they try to play safe and loose fluidity.
Not going to be any different until we are safe.
Some people need to lower their expectations and realise things are not just as simple as they believe.

Don't you get the feeling, that it is building up to the last game of the season against Millwall. What a game that will be. They will have to close Wigan down for the Millwall invasion, can't wait.
Not at all,we will be safe well before then

I thought we started quite well, we were doing all of the right things as Stoke really weren't at the races. But after about 25 mins it felt like Stoke as poor as they were started to wake up a bit and we were second best for the rest of the game despite their lack of quality. It seemed like Stoke were happy for us to have it at the start and we did our thing, but once Stoke pushed back onto us a bit we backed right off and just started to try and contain them rather than push back ourselves and give them something to worry about. Think we settled for the point in the last 20 or so minutes instead of trying to push on harder which was disapointing.

Plenty of huff and puff and the defence battled hard but we're getting so little from the attacking players and a lack of urgency in our play. Overall another game that we could've easily won but on the night we probably should've lost - just another game we weren't brave enough in when it was there for the taking.

The last 2 draws have felt like loses considering the opportunity we had to pull clear and we just never really looked like taking. I'm more concerned about relegation now than i was prior to getting the last 2 points - i just haven't seen the fight in us that i was hoping for.

Th10, if beating Man City is your benchmark, then I reckon you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Any road...... we don't have Perkins any more.
Why shouldn’t it be the benchmark? I’m not expecting us to win every game, it’d just be nice to see us try to instead of being negative and just trying to avoid defeat. The teams at the top of this league try to play football and attack. The teams at the bottom have a negative approach and tend to play long ball.

Why shouldn’t it be the benchmark? I’m not expecting us to win every game, it’d just be nice to see us try to instead of being negative and just trying to avoid defeat. The teams at the top of this league try to play football and attack. The teams at the bottom have a negative approach and tend to play long ball.
I really cannot see how last night we played negatively, we had an attacking selection and when the subs were made it certainly wasn't defensively minded! We shaded the first half, they shaded the second half, both Halves we had the same formation and the same tactics but Stoke pushed us back more 2nd half! That's football for you

Forgot to mention this last night, but Chey Dunkley was absolutely excellent. Up against one of the most physically imposing opponents he’ll have ever faced in Sam Vokes and he got the better of him, winning all his aerial battles as always from multiple crosses and set pieces. It’ll be an absolute travesty if he doesn’t keep his place when Fox returns. He needs signing to a new contract because he won’t be dropping back to L1 level for a long long time.

Since posting this I’ve watched highlights of the game for the first time and it turns out that first half chance for Stoke which hit the post was Dunkley deflecting the ball away from the net and stopping a certain goal. Superb.

Last edited:
I really cannot see how last night we played negatively, we had an attacking selection and when the subs were made it certainly wasn't defensively minded! We shaded the first half, they shaded the second half, both Halves we had the same formation and the same tactics but Stoke pushed us back more 2nd half! That's football for you
8 shots in 90 odd minutes with 3 on target. Those are awful stats at home. A right back in midfield, a midfielder at left back. A left sided midfielder on the right. A so called striker playing in midfield and striker who gets goals when he isn't up top on his own feeding off scraps. Playing to our strengths may have lifted those stats.

That's the script unfortunately. And some can't deviate from the script.

If you want to hold up the City game as a benchmark then you should at least remember that for the vast majority of that game we were on the back foot, hardly got out of our own half and scored with a breakaway from a mistake by one of their defenders.

We didn't dominate the game.

That night we had nothing to lose so went for it, last night was totally different. We had everything to lose if we had gone for it and got beat teams behind us could have gained ground. It is a difficult decision to make, do we go all out and chance losing it, or do we go forward with a little caution and protect the point we already have at the start and try to build on that. In my opinion going gung-ho and throwing everything at the opposition is not an option and would surely get us relegated, as it is at present as long as we equal or better the results of those below us we will survive.

That should tell you everything then

Magic wand needed then, perhaps you could call in and give Cook some advice on how we should be playing, better still lets give you a go for one game and then see how easy it actually is.
The players lack confidence, as is always the case when relegation is remotely threatened, as such they try to play safe and loose fluidity.
Not going to be any different until we are safe.
Some people need to lower their expectations and realise things are not just as simple as they believe.

I'd love a magic wand...no Naismith, no hoof ball, new manager...

I'd love a magic wand ............ new manager...

Just a thought.

Suppose we'd got a really bright, highly respected young Manager..... like Nathan Jones........ and he'd had half a dozen games to get settled...... in which he'd done little to suggest he was more messiah than naughty boy........ and then we were playing effing Wiggin........ and couldn't even score a bloody goal........

Aaaaggghhhh....... Jones out, bring back Cookie!!!!!
???

I'd love a magic wand...no Naismith, no hoof ball, new manager...
New Manager seems to be a theme here, we tried that several times recently and the only time it has worked has been with Cook and Caldwell.
Mckay was terrible and Joyce was a disaster

To clarify, I'm advocating a change post season unless I see dramatic improvement, not now.

Craig I'd argue the issue was the poor choice of replacement rather than a poor decision in dispensing with the previous incumbent.

Moving backwards more seamlessly and faster than a moonwalking Michael Jackson. ?

Incorrect again, my view hasn't changed. You'll note I advocated a change post Sheffield united, though stated when it didn't happen it would not be beneficial to do so later when the window was shut. I also said stay up or go down his position requires reassessment post season.