Saving Money & Tips | Page 13 | Vital Football

Saving Money & Tips

Anyone collect Avios points or know much about them?

Our flights on August are with BA so decided to join their reward scheme. Instantly got some points for the flights we booked last year, but started reading up a bit more and think I need to start collecting them more.

Realised topcashback offer 5% bonus if you withdraw as Avios points.

Also just applied for a credit card where you get bonus points just for signing up plus points every time you spend. High interest rate so need to pay off in full each month, but if you spend 10k on it in a year you get a 2 for 1 flight voucher!

Given we're planning on taking buddy to Orlando in 2 years time then that'll defo come in handy.

Anyone else got any Avios experience or tips for accumulating and spending them?

Not really, stacked some up while on my back and forth Kuala Lumpur odyssey, but couldn't really see what I could use the points on!

Saving money during Covid19: how have you?

I've learnt how to do waxing at home which means no more face waxing etc at home to pay for. Coloured my own hair. I will not be sticking to that. Messy horrible job

Been meaning to post this for a while .Won't be for everyone but if your partner, son, daughter is in the list of eligible jobs get them to get one and nothing to stop them buying stuff for you.
Big savings with this at loads of places :-
www.bluelightcard.co.uk

Mrs M has one being NHS . Not just emergency services though . Red cross, social care, forces, border force.

Had an email from BA today saying my avios points were set to expire, had a look, I had over 19 000. They had money off holidays etc with the points but in the current climate, I'm not planning on a holiday. I looked to see what the experience days were, but they are on hold due to the pandemic, so got a case of 12 decent red wines instead. Nice as I didn't think I'd be getting anything.

Had an email from BA today saying my avios points were set to expire, had a look, I had over 19 000. They had money off holidays etc with the points but in the current climate, I'm not planning on a holiday. I looked to see what the experience days were, but they are on hold due to the pandemic, so got a case of 12 decent red wines instead. Nice as I didn't think I'd be getting anything.

Can you use them for a staycation or holistay ?

Amazon Prime Day(s) today and tomorrow for anyone who is a Prime member you can get some bargains.

Nat was gonna buy me a Samsung Galaxy Smart Watch (Golf edition) for my birthday. Looked the other day and cheapest I could see it anywhere was £319 (Amazon, John Lewis, Currys etc...)

Checked on Amazon today. £259! Woohoo! I'll make sue she spends the £60 saving on me too though. :grinning:

Should I leave the heating on low all day even when I'm out, or turn it up only when I need it?

This is a hotly debated one. According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, the idea it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. They're clear that having the heating on only when you need it is, in the long run, the best way to save energy, and therefore money. (A timer's best as your thermostat turns your heating on and off to keep your home at the temperature you set.)

The key thing to understand here is that it's all about the total amount of energy required to heat your home

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths/