Saving Money & Tips | Page 14 | Vital Football

Saving Money & Tips

I just tried to join Martin Lewis's new auto energy switcher, but low and behold when I entered all my details it seems that my current tariff that I've been on for nearly a year now is still currently the cheapest.... which is nice.

I just tried to join Martin Lewis's new auto energy switcher, but low and behold when I entered all my details it seems that my current tariff that I've been on for nearly a year now is still currently the cheapest.... which is nice.

Compare places like Quidco etc before using these auto sign you up "deals".
I'm not saying MSE isn't the best deal but it may not be.

Sainsbury's have their annual toy sale on at the moment and Tesco have their 50% toy sale. Good time to buy Xmas presents.

Anyone collect Avios points or know much about them?

Our flights on August are with BA so decided to join their reward scheme. Instantly got some points for the flights we booked last year, but started reading up a bit more and think I need to start collecting them more.

Realised topcashback offer 5% bonus if you withdraw as Avios points.

Also just applied for a credit card where you get bonus points just for signing up plus points every time you spend. High interest rate so need to pay off in full each month, but if you spend 10k on it in a year you get a 2 for 1 flight voucher!

Given we're planning on taking buddy to Orlando in 2 years time then that'll defo come in handy.

Anyone else got any Avios experience or tips for accumulating and spending them?

Only had my Amex card 5 months and already earnt a 'Companion Voucher' for a flight.

Basically you use Avios to book a return flight for 1 passenger and get a 2nd passenger free (you still pay taxes).

Looking to take Buddy to Orlando in 2022. For 3 of us travelling in Premium Economy it would have cost around 8k normally. By my calculations it'll now cost around 3k.

Pretty decent saving.

With Xmas fast approaching and more and more of us shopping online due to lockdown and Corona, you'd be stupid not to get yoursel;f a topcashback account.

Whenever you buy anything (from the vast majority of retailers) if you click through to the retailer via topcashback first you get cashback. It soon adds up. I've had £1436 cashback since I joined in 2013.

If you want to join (and why wouldn't you), then please use my link below as I'll get a bonus too -

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/deanovilla

Not only will you earn cashback on all your purchases but you'll get a £5 signup bonus just for signing up and using it for the first time.

Only had my Amex card 5 months and already earnt a 'Companion Voucher' for a flight.

You could take Tom somewhere nice. :Fingers:

I use tesco card, get the points, turn them into vouchers, then you can do a x 3 (so £2.50 voucher = £7.50 in places like Prezzo)

I should at some point have another look and see if there are others that could bring better savings I guess.

Still something for nothing these things aren't they!? All helps. Like your tip on topcashback, costs nothing and you benefit.

This year I have made £90 on TopCashBack, £60 on Panelbase surveys and £50 in supermarket vouchers at Morrisons

Handy couple of hundred quid that's gone towards Christmas

Stick to Martin money saving mantra

Are you skint

Do I need it, can I afford it - have I checked prices elsewhere

If no don't buy it

Not skint

Will I use it, is it worth it - have I checked the prices elsewhere

if no don't buy it

Just tried an Aldi chicken soup at 31p. Compared to Heinz chicken soup at 95p

Not that much of a reduced taste, in fact, I think I might grow to prefer the slightly less creamy flavour. But the price difference is ridiculous and too good not to take advantage of.

Just tried an Aldi chicken soup at 31p. Compared to Heinz chicken soup at 95p

Not that much of a reduced taste, in fact, I think I might grow to prefer the slightly less creamy flavour. But the price difference is ridiculous and too good not to take advantage of.

I grew up on cheap crap and often prefer it.

I grew up on cheap crap and often prefer it.

I think this is where I've altered my thinking, I often didn't go to Aldi when @DeanoVilla was telling me how good it was (and he loves his cooking/food like I do) and when I did go years back, the store looked atrocious. But when I went early 2019, it had all changed. I digress. It isn't cheap crap. But it is cheap. So I think my mind went straight to ... must be crap then. Like packaging, the marketing people know what they are doing trying to suggest to you luxury, or cheap. All about perceptions.

Aldi just concentrate on limited amounts of any product. eg in Sainsbury you have 7 or 8 choices of corn flakes. In Aldi, you have one. They then can buy in bulk, sell in smaller shops as they don't need the shelf space, but their cheap stuff, that I did think would be crap, is very often so much nicer than the expensive stores stuff.

Took a while for me to change my perception for sure.

I think this is where I've altered my thinking, I often didn't go to Aldi when @DeanoVilla was telling me how good it was (and he loves his cooking/food like I do) and when I did go years back, the store looked atrocious. But when I went early 2019, it had all changed. I digress. It isn't cheap crap. But it is cheap. So I think my mind went straight to ... must be crap then. Like packaging, the marketing people know what they are doing trying to suggest to you luxury, or cheap. All about perceptions.

Aldi just concentrate on limited amounts of any product. eg in Sainsbury you have 7 or 8 choices of corn flakes. In Aldi, you have one. They then can buy in bulk, sell in smaller shops as they don't need the shelf space, but their cheap stuff, that I did think would be crap, is very often so much nicer than the expensive stores stuff.

Took a while for me to change my perception for sure.

I think what I really mean is that cheap can mean crap but....I grew up on cheap stuff that had less butter, cream, sugar in ...and now as an adult certain better versions of things taste too rich, creamy, sugary or whatever.

What you have to realise is that ready meals in Aldi are usually produced by the same companies that make them for M&S, Tesco Sainsburys etc. to exactly the same recipes. Only the label is different.

The worst supermarket for quality I've found is ASDA, their meat is atrocious.

What you have to realise is that ready meals in Aldi are usually produced by the same companies that make them for M&S, Tesco Sainsburys etc. to exactly the same recipes. Only the label is different.

Not only that, but the German folks do demand quality, they just aren't like us in the UK many aren't on the Continent, they don't need their shops all 'pretty and well presented, just need the food efficiently available and well priced.

Saving me a packet. I get some stuff from Sainsbury, and save money via the app, but buy an awful lot from Aldi as well.

I've yet to explore Lidl. Haven't felt like introducing a new shop during the pandemic!

Nothing wrong with Aldi or Asda unless you like paying more for the same things Then by all means shop at M&S Waitrose and Sainsbury.

Biggest advise I can give and lord knows I've done it don't buy new cars, biggest waste of money that anyone can make. Buy houses instead and drive a 10-year-old Jap car or Merc Diesel

My Daughter in-laws brother managed an Aldi and had M&S ready meals delivered Monday by mistake