Sack Race | Page 17 | Vital Football

Sack Race

Neither you nor I know the level of our finances and i`m not sure if you`re implying i`m endlessly moaning.

Either way, even loyal supporting fans like me are entitled to have a view on the calibre of our recruitment - whilst happy with the majority of signings I remain unconvinced that we couldn`t have done better when it comes to strikers. That`s my view. It`s a fact that AH is Head of Recruitment so i`ll politely say i`m disappointed with the lack of success in that position.

If we find it necessary to change our forward options in January it will show that i`m not the only one who thinks that way.

This is a forum for opinions - some you might like some you might not.
Not specifically you, no.

On the money side you're right that we don't know. But name some strikers who have been signed at our level that fit the bill of what we've been looking for. Most of the league will be after a striker so if they're out there then someone would have signed them.

Hess may have gone to the ends of the earth to try and find us a striker and it could be blocked by things well out of his control. Nobody knows.

I think it's that when we lack information (for obvious reasons) people feel the need to have a negative opinion. Sometimes it just doesn't need an opinion - the void doesn't have to be filled. I have no idea if he's doing good or bad and I'm happy to not speculate with virtually no information.

Moaning about moaning? Love some irony.

It's a fan's forum and we're the lowest league goalscoring side in the league. It really isn't that outlandish.
Don't worry the irony isn't lost on me. It's just making being a fan of Gillingham incredibly tedious.

For the good of the club I'm probably better off not coming on this forum as it just puts me off bothering to make the 2 hours trip to Priestfield.

I think it would be more prudent to think more of the job description and how this interacts with the other moving parts both at GFC and externally than to simply read the job title.

I get that it’s human nature to want to point a finger when not everything goes one’s way. I just find it a bit toxic personally, especially when it’s based not on fact but guesswork.
We clearly don`t see it the same way - never mind.

Not specifically you, no.

On the money side you're right that we don't know. But name some strikers who have been signed at our level that fit the bill of what we've been looking for. Most of the league will be after a striker so if they're out there then someone would have signed them.

Hess may have gone to the ends of the earth to try and find us a striker and it could be blocked by things well out of his control. Nobody knows.

I think it's that when we lack information (for obvious reasons) people feel the need to have a negative opinion. Sometimes it just doesn't need an opinion - the void doesn't have to be filled. I have no idea if he's doing good or bad and I'm happy to not speculate with virtually no information.
I quite like having an opinion, thanks. Usually, i`m quite optimistic but, that doesn`t make it wrong for me to have what you allude to as a negative opinion in this particular matter. We were in the ball park when it came to Alfie May (I know that from a club insider) so that alone suggests that it was not necessarily lack of funds. There is also a large loan market (which we are looking into now) and there is plenty of talent around. It`s about choices - i wasn`t impressed with ours in so far as strikers are concerned - simple as that.

What needs to be remembered is that BG came into the EFL with no knowledge as to the structure, calibre and level of quality required for a 23/24 promotion push - which, this season especially, is a steep challenge.

BG is clearly his own man and whilst, i`m sure, he listened to the likes of P.S., he probably put a huge amount of faith in KJ and AH. My reservations about recruitment come from a view that perhaps BG was convinced, assured, persuaded that the squad we had - notwithstanding long term fitness doubts about our #1 rated striker, was more than capable of scoring goals and being a promotion contender. The lack of activity on the striker signing front does nothing to persuade me otherwise. Unless, of course, it`s not been our intention or aim to go for promotion this season.

As far as naming some strikers signed at our level who fit the bill - just take a good look at most of the squads assembled by the top teams in L2. Besides, its the Head of Recruitment`s job to sort that out - it`s a full time position.

Let`s see what happens in January - I remain confident that as a club we will address the recruitment failings of last summer and fill the obvious void up front.

The bit about the calibre of players that Hess “recommended”. I think it’s reported fact that in Jan one of our targets was Isaac Olaofe and in the summer Alfie May. I think they’ve proven to have been top quality so far for the clubs they’ve signed for. Imagine if we had them 2 in our squad?

So, IF, our Head of Recruitment is the only one responsible for identifying players, then Hess has probably done a decent job there. And I think that’s where this argument is stemming from. Is it Hess’s fault if we then don’t sign those players? I think in both cases we were simply outbid by clubs with as much or higher resources and standing than ours. I wouldn’t exactly “blame” anyone for that.

Back in Jan we did sign Hawk and Nichols who both played very well in assuring our L2 status. So that window was decent striker-wise.

In summer the main “failing” I can see was not getting a back up for Hawk. The non-signing of Alfie May really hurt us, again not sure anyone can be “blamed” for that, particularly Hess. Our back up option ended up being Bonne. I personally think that’s about as good a “2nd option” as we could have got. Hasn’t worked out great so far, but I still think he will get a lot more goals and assists as the season goes on. I like every part of his game except his conversion rate so far.

Pace is the other quality mentioned as missing. Nads is our pace option and been injured. Clarke has pace too. Rest of our midfield lacks it, but that’s a different argument. I think our midfield signings have generally been quality.

Summary? I’m in the “non blame” camp. From where we’ve come to where we are, our targets and signings have been quality. Sometimes shite happens. That’s football.

The bit about the calibre of players that Hess “recommended”. I think it’s reported fact that in Jan one of our targets was Isaac Olaofe and in the summer Alfie May. I think they’ve proven to have been top quality so far for the clubs they’ve signed for. Imagine if we had them 2 in our squad?

So, IF, our Head of Recruitment is the only one responsible for identifying players, then Hess has probably done a decent job there. And I think that’s where this argument is stemming from. Is it Hess’s fault if we then don’t sign those players? I think in both cases we were simply outbid by clubs with as much or higher resources and standing than ours. I wouldn’t exactly “blame” anyone for that.

Back in Jan we did sign Hawk and Nichols who both played very well in assuring our L2 status. So that window was decent striker-wise.

In summer the main “failing” I can see was not getting a back up for Hawk. The non-signing of Alfie May really hurt us, again not sure anyone can be “blamed” for that, particularly Hess. Our back up option ended up being Bonne. I personally think that’s about as good a “2nd option” as we could have got. Hasn’t worked out great so far, but I still think he will get a lot more goals and assists as the season goes on. I like every part of his game except his conversion rate so far.

Pace is the other quality mentioned as missing. Nads is our pace option and been injured. Clarke has pace too. Rest of our midfield lacks it, but that’s a different argument. I think our midfield signings have generally been quality.

Summary? I’m in the “non blame” camp. From where we’ve come to where we are, our targets and signings have been quality. Sometimes shite happens. That’s football.
Very well said

We were also in for Akinyemi but according to AH at the Fans Forum (and backed by NH) they were asking silly money and putting in silly demands.

I agree that failing to take "cover" for Hawks into account has been an issue and, like you, i`m happy with our midfield signings. Nicholls and Nadeson have also been good squad signings. But, just to be clear though OSK, are you suggesting that come the January window, we don`t need any changes, ie new forward/s, up front ?

I agree that failing to take "cover" for Hawks into account has been an issue and, like you, i`m happy with our midfield signings. Nicholls and Nadeson have also been good squad signings. But, just to be clear though OSK, are you suggesting that come the January window, we don`t need any changes, ie new forward/s, up front ?

No I’m not suggesting that mate. I think we do need more firepower up front. And if that firepower has pace and muscle as well, all good.

I’m just suggesting that there can’t be too much “blame” attached at the moment to whoever is overall responsibly for our signings. I think if Hawks and Nads hadn’t got long term injuries, we’d be a lot better off. Also that stretching ourselves and ultimately failing to get Alfie May is just “one of those things”. Worth a shot, didn’t happen. The Bonne signing was good, just yet to fully materialise into what we thought we’d get. I think it’s starting to work tho.

Another big target up front is maybe a failing, but we have no idea if we actually tried to get another big man in or if Hess recommended anyone.

Edit - and as someone mentioned earlier. Now Hawkins and Nadesan are back playing, what happens if over the next month up to the window, we start banging goals in, Bonne goes on a streak, and Hawks, Nichols and Nads all contribute. Do we still need to go for another high profile striker?

I think we will, but who knows?

Last edited:

If we're going to persist with just the lone 'striker' then there is less of a need for that new 'striker' if Hawks is going to be able to contribute and be available. If we're going to start playing two up top then there is more of a need for that new 'striker'

Last edited:
To show what a lottery the signing of strikers is, the current leading scorer in League Two is Jake Young who is being loaned from Bradford to Swindon.

One of the best strikers last season was Danny Johnson who was being loaned from Mansfield to Walsall.

Even their own teams don't always recognise what a good striker they have.

Don't worry the irony isn't lost on me. It's just making being a fan of Gillingham incredibly tedious.

For the good of the club I'm probably better off not coming on this forum as it just puts me off bothering to make the 2 hours trip to Priestfield.

Don't leave the forum, LL.

And definitely don't be put off going to Priestfield because of what's written on here.

Keep posting and keep going.

UTG!

Last edited:
Is it?:

a) because we won't be as good next season.

b) the opposition will be stronger next season.

or
c) because next season will be next season and not this season.

I'm gonna go with b) because I'm still hoping we can get promoted this season... 😜

I was thinking more d) Jupiter entering Capricorn, and the alignment of Mars with the sun. Clear indicators that we'll narrowly miss out on a playoff place.

Or c). Probably c). Although b) would also be good

As far as naming some strikers signed at our level who fit the bill - just take a good look at most of the squads assembled by the top teams in L2. Besides, its the Head of Recruitment`s job to sort that out - it`s a full time position.

Let`s see what happens in January - I remain confident that as a club we will address the recruitment failings of last summer and fill the obvious void up front.
The odds are against it, though, aren't they?

The summer break is around 3 months long, and the transfer window longer, with players either at the end of their contacts or entering the final year and maybe refusing to sign a new one, so their clubs will be making a final attempt to claw back some value. Much more realistic.

In the January window, which is only a month long, I would guess that 99% of strikers will now be under at least a remaining 18 month contract if they have a value in goals. Otherwise, they will be free agents and available now. Not many clubs will be looking to sell as they will also need to find a replacement.

Unless BG is increasing the budget substantially from the summer, how would we be in a better position comparatively?

Last edited:
To show what a lottery the signing of strikers is, the current leading scorer in League Two is Jake Young who is being loaned from Bradford to Swindon.

One of the best strikers last season was Danny Johnson who was being loaned from Mansfield to Walsall.

Even their own teams don't always recognise what a good striker they have.
I wouldn`t call it a lottery, per se. If that was the case, it`s a hell of a lottery win for the three most fancied teams prior to the start of the season. As predicted, they now sit at the top of the table (1st, 2nd 6th), each having signed additional new, quality, forwards and each having now scored more than 40 goals.

It can, I suppose, be more of a lottery situation when teams that are unable to finance more established or higher quality forwards depend on bargain loans, players out of favour or take a punt on a youngster. It`s always nice when a gem is uncovered or when a revitalised player ups his production.

I guess the ideal is a situation where EFL clubs, such as the above mentioned promotion contenders, can a) identify and acquire the best first-team-ready talent available and also b) recruit fresh young players for development, investment and feeding the senior team. As a L2 outfit with apparent decent resource, we`ve a way to go in to achieve "a", especially in relation to forwards. However, we do appear to have done well in relation to "b".