Sack Race | Page 19 | Vital Football

Sack Race

Some similarities between Wood and our own Stephen Clemence - in terms of coaching background. Salford was Wood`s first "dip" into management - he was (I believe) a "manager" rather than a "First Team or Head Coach" .

Ex- Gill Josh Gowling, who was appointed manager of Darlington back in September, has been sacked following Darlo`s loss at Scarborough on Boxing Day.

Colchester have just announced Etherington has been relieved of his duties after this afternoons performance and result against Gills

Last edited:
Not in our sphere of operation. But I’m hearing Wayne Rooney has been sacked at Birmingham.

Now if ever there was a pointless and disastrous managerial appointment this was it.

Their previous manager was going great guns, but simply wasn’t a “big name” it seems.

Not in our sphere of operation. But I’m hearing Wayne Rooney has been sacked at Birmingham.
Now if ever there was a pointless and disastrous managerial appointment this was it.
Their previous manager was going great guns, but simply wasn’t a “big name” it seems.
Stupid timing as well, as he couldn't bring in his own players either.

But was he a head coach expected to be able to work with what he was given?

He didn’t. But am I wrong in thinking Birmingham were going great when they sacked the last guy. And since Rooney has been there, they’ve hardly won a game?

They’ve basically fallen off a cliff.
You are correct OSK.
It was a bizarre decision that backfired.
The top selling Xmas present this year was the Birmingham City sledge.
Apparently nothing goes downhill quicker.

Absurd that Rooney was appointed. New USA owners wanted a "big name'.
Pathetic. Thoroughly deserved the disastrous ending. Should give the previous guy his job back and pay him a fortune to take it on.

Nice to see, by contrast, our USA owners seem to have put more serious thought into appointing someone to take us forward.

Rooney not given enough time to do what was needed? I assume his objective must have been relegation.