Richardson | Page 8 | Vital Football

Richardson

Rob Kelly now getting reporting for assistant manager. Barrow boss

If this is true and Beattie decided to stick with Monk i'm not suprised at all - I said in earlier posts i think from Beattie's point of view it would be a huge gamble to break up the Monk managerial partnership to go with Richardson.

Kelly just apparently turned down Barrow job on a permanent basis after doing quite well. He hasn't worked exclusively with one manager and his last couple of bosses weren't successful and likely to take him into another job anytime soon - so it would be surprising to turn down the Barrow offer unless he had something else lined up.

Don't know a lot about Kelly other than he's worked under a lot of managers, so if he does come in he certainly has a lot of experience and will have seen a lot of different approaches.

If this is true and Beattie decided to stick with Monk i'm not suprised at all - I said in earlier posts i think from Beattie's point of view it would be a huge gamble to break up the Monk managerial partnership to go with Richardson.

Kelly just apparently turned down Barrow job on a permanent basis after doing quite well. He hasn't worked exclusively with one manager and his last couple of bosses weren't successful and likely to take him into another job anytime soon - so it would be surprising to turn down the Barrow offer unless he had something else lined up.

Don't know a lot about Kelly other than he's worked under a lot of managers, so if he does come in he certainly has a lot of experience and will have seen a lot of different approaches.

Masses of experience and has been a caretaker manager at nearly every club he's been at. Could be a shrewd appointment

Just had a look through Kelly's career, to try and sum it up with a few extra details:

He's had 2 prolonged spells as caretaker the first at Leicester in the Championship about 14 years ago. He stepped up from assistant when they were 22nd in the league, and 8 wins, 4 draws, 5 loses to finish in 16th.

He got his only full time managers job on the back of his successful caretaker spell but struggled the following season winning 11, drew 14, lost 16 before he was sacked to try and increase their chances of survival.

His other prolonged caretaker spell was at Barrow this year where he inherited them in 23rd place, then won 8, drew 3 and lost 8 to keep them up as 21st place. He was offered the job but turned it down.

Other than that he's been an assistant to Alan Irvine, Paul Simpson, Billy Davies, Steve McClaren, Steve Cotterill, Sean O'Driscoll, Alex McLeish, Uwe Rosler, Paul Lambert, David Dunne, John Sheridan, Ryan Lowe and a handful of games under other managers.

Rosler took him with him to 4 different clubs, Irvine took him with him 3 times and at Forest he was retained as assistant manager by 5 different managers. He's coached in Swedish top tier and Germany second tier with Rosler. He briefly coached in the Prem for West Brom with Irvine, but majority of his career has been in the Championship by the looks of it.

The thing that stuck out to me was he was inherited by quite a lot of managers over his career and was more often than not kept on. We know in the modern game managers nearly always want their own people - especially when it comes to their trusted no2 so the fact a number of managers stuck with him makes me think he must have impressed them on the training ground. Along the same lines of managers wanting to bring their own men in - he has started working with different people he previously hadn't which again suggests that he must have a good reputation in the game.

Most assistants spend the majority of their career working with 1 manager, which i think can mean they have limited experience or exposure to different ways of working. But Kelly probably has a more diverse CV experience wise than most and you'd like to think working with so many different managers would've given him lots of knowledge and valuable different perspectives.

Considering Richardson's coaching career is relatively short and limited in experience i can see the appeal someone like Kelly brings to the table.

He shares his birthday with my Mrs. I wonder if he's been lucky enough to have M&S scampi and chips followed by Walls mint vienetta for his birthday tea. Nothing but the best for my Wife!
Happy bithday Leam