Richardson | Page 7 | Vital Football

Richardson

I don't know him personally but always felt his biggest drawback was himself due to a lack of confidence. He took the plunge and he found he was more than up to it.

He has led the line superbly and will be a top manager .....well done lad.

“Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.”
- Shakespeare, The Twelfth Night

Totally agree with you. Leam is definitely in the last camp there, in having greatness thrust on him, but keeping us up this year in the circumstances is a minor miracle. Whatever happens in his future career, no-one can ever take that from him. He'll always be a great in my view for what he's achieved for us this season alone.

I'll bet you a tenner he's not Latics manager this time next season.

It fear you could be right - he's done well to turn it around in this last month but we all know the final weeks in a relegation battle can turn poor sides temporarily into world beaters. Great example was that amazing last 10 game run under Martinez where we were playing the top sides off the park yet it sadly didn't carry on into the following season.

No one knows for sure if Richardson has genuinely turned the corner and will build on it or if this last month was pure momentum and survival instinct and the poor performances will resume. But we will find out one way or another - we obviously hope for the former but it wouldn't shock me if it was the latter. But the ball is in his court - he will have the chance to build a side and shape the club that is 100% in his image, it's not a strong division and the new owners ambitions are initially modest - so he is set up to succeed if he is good enough.

He's earned the opportunity to have a go and there were absolutely no names out there that would have made me anymore excited. If we're in the same position at Christmas then I'm sure the trigger will rightly be pulled, but it doesn't stop him from having earned the right to give it a crack.

I do think he needs to choose his backroom staff very carefully, especially considering his lack of experience. Hopefully he knows a wily old assistant manager that he can bring in. Someone he can turn to when we're going through a bad patch who won't panic and can guide him back on the right track. A good goalkeeping coach wouldn't go amiss either, we bloody need one based on this season!

Looks like he might have found his new assistant ........ rumours galore (on social meeja !) that James Beattie is lined up.

Makes sense as he was with him for a while at Accrington.

Decent players, and a reasonable CV as coach.

Up till now, it looks like he's been mainly partnering Gary Monk, but he maybe reckons there's life in the old Tics dog yet !

Looks like he might have found his new assistant ........ rumours galore (on social meeja !) that James Beattie is lined up.

Up till now, it looks like he's been mainly partnering Gary Monk, but he maybe reckons there's life in the old Tics dog yet !

Hasn't Franny Jeffers linked up with him from Everton ?

Sorry, my mistake, I have posted this on the wrong thread. Jeffers has joined Cook at Ipswich. :ooops:

Last edited:

Beattie just started following the club on Twitter, Dan Gardener has just followed him and the chairman and Beattie have just started following each other.

Sounds like something is going on for sure.

On another note will Rigaletto's reopen ? Who owns it now ? Does it belong to the club or privately owned ?

On another note will Rigaletto's reopen ? Who owns it now ? Does it belong to the club or privately owned ?
Depends on how much it made at L1 level I guess. The new owners will have the books. No point reopening and employing staff if it doesn't make enough cash on a match day where crowds are dipping below 8k. Could use the space for something else entirely, or even let it out to a restaurant/fast food chain looking to take advantage of matchday trade.

Beattie just started following the club on Twitter, Dan Gardener has just followed him and the chairman and Beattie have just started following each other.

Sounds like something is going on for sure.
Gardner following him is worrying that's for sure.

As for JB, no idea what he's like as a coach but following Garry Monk is starting to ruin his CV having now been sacked nearly as many times as Owen Coyle. Maybe he realised that he needed a completely fresh start. Although if LR has a nightmare and gets sacked sometime next season, we know who will be top of the list to replace him.

Last edited:
Depends on how much it made at L1 level I guess. The new owners will have the books. No point reopening and employing staff if it doesn't make enough cash on a match day where crowds are dipping below 8k. Could use the space for something else entirely, or even let it out to a restaurant/fast food chain looking to take advantage of matchday trade.

Gardner following him is worrying that's for sure.

As for JB, no idea what he's like as a coach but following Garry Monk is starting to ruin his CV having now been sacked nearly as many times as Owen Coyle. Maybe he realised that he needed a completely fresh start. Although if LR has a nightmare and gets sacked sometime next season, we know who will be top of the list to replace him.

Considering Beattie is nailed on to go with Monk wherever he goes as an assistant, it is interesting that he appears to be considering breaking that partnership to join Richardson.

Could be something to do with being out of work

While it's true Beattie is out of work i assume he will have had some decent pay offs recently and isn't short of cash. He surely would have committed to not immediately jumping ship to rejoin Monk if he gets a new job.

So if Monk does get a new job and a new assistant Beattie will obviously lose that guarantee of future work. Monk has a pretty good reputation and record so following him around is a pretty good spot as you will likely never be out of work too long. So giving up that to join Richardson is a big leap of faith for him.

While it's true Beattie is out of work i assume he will have had some decent pay offs recently and isn't short of cash. He surely would have committed to not immediately jumping ship to rejoin Monk if he gets a new job.

So if Monk does get a new job and a new assistant Beattie will obviously lose that guarantee of future work. Monk has a pretty good reputation and record so following him around is a pretty good spot as you will likely never be out of work too long. So giving up that to join Richardson is a big leap of faith for him.
I understand that he can draw on his player pension at 40 years of age

Not if Garry Monk is willing to drop into L1 in the future...

It's so weird to have reached the point where players I grew up watching and cheering on (family all Saints fans) are now moving into management.

Might go buy some slippers.

Not if Garry Monk is willing to drop into L1 in the future...

Richardson has only one managerial appointment prior to this in L2 with Accrington and it didn't go well. If next season goes wrong he won't get another managers jobs.

While Monk had success at few clubs including Prem and Championship - so he's always going to get offers off someone.

If you are going to put your eggs in someone's basket moving them from Monk to Richardson seems like a big gamble for Beattie. Fair play to him for giving it a go but I am quite surprised at him leaving Monk - unless they've had a falling out or something.

Richardson has only one managerial appointment prior to this in L2 with Accrington and it didn't go well. If next season goes wrong he won't get another managers jobs.

While Monk had success at few clubs including Prem and Championship - so he's always going to get offers off someone.

If you are going to put your eggs in someone's basket moving them from Monk to Richardson seems like a big gamble for Beattie. Fair play to him for giving it a go but I am quite surprised at him leaving Monk - unless they've had a falling out or something.
Nothing like looking on the bright side of things 🙂😉