Retained list | Page 4 | Vital Football

Retained list

It annoys me all the people saying "can't believe we didn't offer Chapman a contract" (or substitute any player on the released lost

It could very well be that the player in question has made perfectly clear he's not going to sign, either because they already have a contract sorted elsewhere or for one of any number of reasons has decided he wants out

Why put someone on the list of being offered a contract which raises expectation that we may retain them and leave the club open to criticism of not trying hard enough to keep someone

Blooming frustrating some people!!

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gillingham-retained-list-266853/
Only just read the article. Personally I am not surprised Harris wants to get rid of some or indeed most of the players in contract. Woods has to be the strangest one but hopefully he can prove it was a good decision.As for the rest it might not be easy with the higher earning players. Players like Tutonda might be easier to work something out with but a very odd decision by Evans given he wasn't even second choice at Rovers.

No big surprises. Chapman did pretty well for us toward the close of the season but I`m not sure he`s good enough, or consistent enough, to warrant retention.

Tucker, Thompson, Masterson (loan) & Phillips (loan) excluded, our playing staff simply wasn`t good enough to play in L1.

Whilst some of the others in our 21/22 team might handle life in L2 a bit more productively, our aim next season is surely promotion, so our team needs to have a decent size core group good enough to play in L1, not a team that will (just) be OK in L2.

As we`ll be minus the four aforementioned "exceptions", enabling a (new) L1 core means we have to clear the decks - and the books. So a big "clear-out " is the right way forward IMO.

I`m confident that NH and Nicky Shorey are already "on the case" in identifying new blood and getting some "L1 able" core guys into our pack. Next season is going to be a good one UTG.....

Overall, I like him too and think he would walk into most League Two teams next season; my only qualms about him are discipline and injuries, plus personally I thought he went missing a bit at the end of the season, but so did quite a few in the last few games, including Thompson, who was otherwise very good and the whole back five!
He went missing because he was injured and most definitely should not have been playinf

The advantage we perhaps have is only being seven. Of those two will be probably be on very limited money which they might get elsewhere. The rest can be told at best they would start as squad players.

Last edited:
The only disappointment is not keeping Chapman, as he proved his worth. He may well have indicated he wants to stay above League 2.

The retained list doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it? We really need to find a way to offload Lee and Tutonda. Reeves is ok when fit - but that's a gamble. Same for MacDonald. Woods will probably go out on loan again. That leaves O'Keefe and Ehmer! It's going to be a busy summer...

The only disappointment is not keeping Chapman, as he proved his worth. He may well have indicated he wants to stay above League 2.

The retained list doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it? We really need to find a way to offload Lee and Tutonda. Reeves is ok when fit - but that's a gamble. Same for MacDonald. Woods will probably go out on loan again. That leaves O'Keefe and Ehmer! It's going to be a busy summer...
I feel Lee is the difficult one especially given his attitude last season.
What's he going to be like next season?
Reeves and McDonald could be OK if they stay fit. Perhaps the next biggest concern. For fitness reasons they might be difficult to move on if we need too.So that could result in a pay off for one or both.Ehmer will at least give his best .Tutonda hopefully he was cheap and still is?Woods does not really worry me.

Last edited:
I expect that Tutonda will be told that we are playing a flat back four next season and he’s unlikely to feature so best to look elsewhere.
Where ?
That’s the question.
He probably isn't on that much so for me he is almost the least of the problem. Especially as his defending will be less of a problem in league two .However I expect Akehurst to sign and be our reserve left back. That leaves Tutonda third choice at best if McKenzie signs possibly fourth choice. Being left footed though I can see there being offers from lower down the leagues.

Just one point if McKenzie turns down our contract offer to move to pastures new, we’d be due a fee by tribunal due to his age. He’s been at the club for 2 years and made 52 appearances, scoring 2 goals, so i think £100k wouldn’t be unreasonable for him.
I do hope he stays though and signs a new deal at Gills.

Dog and duck reserves, maybe?
I think you over estimate wingers at non league level. I have seen a few non league games since moving to Suffolk. I think possibly Isthmian premier would possibly be his level especially if operating a wing back system (possibly higher.) Some pay decent wages I have heard for the right players. Tutonda never gave the impression he gave up so I think their will be options.
Lee is a totally different matter as costs will be infinitly higher. Hopefully past performance somewhere else will convince someone.

Of the retained list i'm happy for O'Keefe and Ehmer to stay but the others can go (in whatever way).

Not really fussed about the retained list at all. Not bothered if under contract ones leave either.

More excited about the squad Mr Harris is going to build, and even if it turns out we’re shit like last season, we at least know the players will give it a bloody good go every week. That’s all I ever ask.

Bring it on.