Retained list | Vital Football

Retained list

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
I've lost track of who is out of contract and who Harris doesn't want.
I know Oliver is going and Tucker is out of contract, I'm presuming Carayol and Thompson are as well .
Any idea what we are left with?

There’s about 7 left according to NH, but he also said he didn’t want all of them. I don’t think there’s a definitive answer on exactly who but we can assume most (maybe 4 or 5) are youngsters.

Last season I don’t think any of our signings had their contract lengths revealed publicly.
Some have said the embargo restricted us to signing players on one year contracts only.

Last season I don’t think any of our signings had their contract lengths revealed publicly.
Some have said the embargo restricted us to signing players on one year contracts only.
There are of course players like Ehmer that were signed before the Embargo was announced. There are also young professionals who it didn't actually apply. Thirdly their could well be a possibility that we could have a contract or contracts that automatically extend at the end of the season if a player has made X number of appearances. Not sure why we could not do this as long as no increase wages were due. This could be why Harris might be fairly confident of off loading players .As they might have a option which allows the players to stay but having the same or perhaps even less money as result of religation. If it was open on the players side they wouldn't have anything to lose by signing it. Especially if the club was restricted by Embargo it might be the only way they could offer longer deals.

Have second choice goalkeepers often been offered a two year deal?
I think it is very likely Chapman is out of contract. Could be a target for other clubs given recent form.

And Lloyd (if fully recovered)

Our squad has been smashed apart this season by injuries. If Harris looks to retain a player who he’s seen play only once or twice and who is not guaranteed to make a full recovery - then he’s an idiot.

I like Lloyd. He was one of our better performers. But it’s a huge gamble to retain someone like Lloyd for a club that is financially constrained.

Motherwell ?
I don't know.
Just reading about Millwall Maikel Kieftenbeld has the perfect playing style to be a Den favourite - with Gary Rowett revealing he once plugged the Dutchman's merits to previous Millwall boss Neil Harris. The 30-year-old midfielder.Now about 32 is about to leave Millwall along with experienced defender Alex Pearce (33) both would add something not sure if they would be targets or indeed affordable.
Both would be known to Harris and are leaving Millwall this summer. I can see us signing at least one player from Cardiff or Millwall possibly one who has already worked with Harris. He spoke many times about leadership and you need the right player.
Experience has brought too many time mistakes in the past.That's why I think his leader may well be well known to Neil Harris. Of course if we are talking Millwall they could have moved on before this which would make the step down easier.

Our squad has been smashed apart this season by injuries. If Harris looks to retain a player who he’s seen play only once or twice and who is not guaranteed to make a full recovery - then he’s an idiot.

I like Lloyd. He was one of our better performers. But it’s a huge gamble to retain someone like Lloyd for a club that is financially constrained.
I can see Lloyd being with us pre season all be it not under contract. Possibly joined by McDonald.
If we need something in the region of 13 to19 players it is very likely that their will be at least one or two spaces(maybe a lot more) as late as mid to late August. After all it could be argued that we only need about 15 to start the season. If money is tight and we are depending on a few younger players he might want to look at one or two for a few weeks before finalising the squad.

I don't know.
Just reading about Millwall Maikel Kieftenbeld has the perfect playing style to be a Den favourite - with Gary Rowett revealing he once plugged the Dutchman's merits to previous Millwall boss Neil Harris. The 30-year-old midfielder.Now about 32 is about to leave Millwall along with experienced defender Alex Pearce (33) both would add something not sure if they would be targets or indeed affordable.
Both would be known to Harris and are leaving Millwall this summer. I can see us signing at least one player from Cardiff or Millwall possibly one who has already worked with Harris. He spoke many times about leadership and you need the right player.
Experience has brought too many time mistakes in the past.That's why I think his leader may well be well known to Neil Harris. Of course if we are talking Millwall they could have moved on before this which would make the step down easier.

I'm not adverse to a few 30 year olds within the squad. Barrett, Frampton and of course Burton were very valuable the last time we were in league 2.

I'm not adverse to a few 30 year olds within the squad. Barrett, Frampton and of course Burton were very valuable the last time we were in league 2.
Absolutely.
If Harris can persuade players of that calibre we’ll do well.

Absolutely.
If Harris can persuade players of that calibre we’ll do well.
It is about getting it right. Another name well past his best but still potentially a top player is Wes Hoolahan who has just left Cambridge with a glowing reference.

It is about getting it right. Another name well past his best but still potentially a top player is Wes Hoolahan who has just left Cambridge with a glowing reference.
Hoolahan will be 40 in a couple of weeks time.

Hoolahan will be 40 in a couple of weeks time.
He will but Bonners words could not be more powerful and positive. He will possibly do what he has done before join a club for training after a rest and see how it goes.In theory a 40 year old is far too old .But we all age differently and if we have a young team they will need experience .I am not saying for one moment that Hoolahan or anyone else is our man.Only that it seems likely that Harris will try to bring in a few older heads to give the younger players what they need.Both ends of the pitch and in the middle that older head is vital.
I would argue that ad others have hinted .
Barrett ,Frampton, Kedwell and Burton were vital to Gills last promotion team.

So how long before we know?
Well the list had to be made available by the third Saturday in May .
This season 21st.Basically the next two weeks.
All I have seen this far is the word shortly.I am guessing this week sometime.If they have meetings they are more likely to be during the week which possibly makes Monday morning the least likely time for a announcement.
The play off finalists have until four days after their last match.The full list of players is available from the EFL on the 11th of June .It will be interesting to see how the post season goes this year.I would guess that Harris will not take a holiday or if he does it will be a short one.With so many players to sign and players to talk to then the early return to pre season their does not appear to be time.
Perhaps a few days away this week maybe most likely after any meetings perhaps today or late last week?

Last edited:
So how long before we know?

And season ticket prices too - very late this year. I appreciate that our circumstance was unknown until the last match, but that hasn't stopped Scally releasing prices early previously and trying to tempt people with a League Two prices, but potential for a League One team, scenario. Any opportunity of that has been lost now and I do wonder if some of the momentum of the NH feelgood factor with two good crowds in the last two game hasn't been capitalised on and interest may wain.

Can't seeing there being any "earlybird" deals this year. It does seem that there is quite a delay (even more so than normal) with communications this year.