Retained list | Page 7 | Vital Football

Retained list

NH said the other week that the reason we switched to a wing back system was because our fullbacks (in a four) weren't good enough defensively and therefore didn't allow us to play in a four.

NH has already said he wants to play with a back four next season and the fact he's already let Jackson go, i wouldn't be surprised if Tutunda is not far behind him. Can't see him getting any game time if we play a back four.

I am not surprised at this. To be honest, Jackson and Tutonda became a liability defensively at full back and just about got away with it at wing back; Max too was getting exposed with his lack of pace in a back four - there was one match (can't remember against who) where Evans played Max and Bennett there, which was an absolute disaster. Mackenzie, on the other hand, looked to have less going forward, but much more solid defensively so he'd slot nicely into a full back position in a four. It will be interesting to see if Max can still cut it in a back four - he may well get away with it in League Two.

On Kent Online, Harris hints that Mackenzie won't be accepting his offer. Shame if true.
Perhaps more than capable of playing regularly in league one .I read that Plymouth were interested if true it would be very unlikely he would stay even if we could match their wage offer.

Just listened to a quick video just released of NH talking about the retained list.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ifollow/latest-videos/

He mentioned Danny Lloyd being someone who he’d love to keep, but it’s tough since he won’t play until Nov. “But we have to put him on the released list”. EFL rules state you have to list every player contracted, released or offered.

So it sounds like we will be keeping Danny around the club (if he wants to stay) and make an offer depending on his rehab. Good news imho.

Just listened to a quick video just released of NH talking about the retained list.

He mentioned Danny Lloyd being someone who he’d love to keep, but it’s tough since he won’t play until Nov. “But we have to put him on the released list”. EFL rules state you have to list every player contracted, released or offered.

So it sounds like we will be keeping Danny around the club (if he wants to stay) and make an offer depending on his rehab. Good news imho.
Here’s a clippet on Gills’ Twitter just in case anyone can’t get iFollow:

Overall with that video and the Kent Online article It’s good to clear up some of the reasoning behind Chapman, Lloyd, Thompson, Oliver and Tucker.

I would guess that will depend on his progress and our remaining budget. What might be advised is a short term deal at non league level to build up fitness.A few six months loans would then leave us possibly clear in January to bring him back if he provides proof that he can cut it.

Perhaps more than capable of playing regularly in league one .I read that Plymouth were interested if true it would be very unlikely he would stay even if we could match their wage offer.

Depends whether he wants to sit on the bench in League One or play regular football? Money will of course be a factor too.

I’d be happy for him to stay but not fussed if he goes really - did pretty well, but didn’t set the world on fire.

Guess the idea is that he trains and stays until fit, plays a few matches and in an ideal world gets a contract then. However, if things don’t work out with his rehab and form he moves on, but equally if he finds someone who will give an injured player a deal, we can’t stand in his way and good luck to him.

Here’s a clippet on Gills’ Twitter just in case anyone can’t get iFollow:

Overall with that video and the Kent Online article It’s good to clear up some of the reasoning behind Chapman, Lloyd, Thompson, Oliver and Tucker.

Agree that it’s good to clear things up. The club might have been better off arranging an interview (either by video like this or in an article) at the same time as or just after the retained list was released as the list alone lead to a lot of speculation - largely sensible on here but wild and antagonistic on social media from the SOB and the like.

I like what I’m hearing but we cannot underestimate the job that Harris has in hand.
I had a bet last season on Ipswich given that they had taken on a new manager with an excellent pedigree at our level.
He had 24 out and about 20 in and it took them until the new year to gel, costing Cook his job.
Near to the end, they hit form and will probably be a threat next season, but it took time.
He’s now saying that he doesn’t expect the team to be complete until after the season has started.
He’s going to need time from our fans.

He’s now saying that he doesn’t expect the team to be complete until after the season has started.

That was always likely if there are any “big” targets or players from higher divisions we are going for.

Those types of players are likely to be holding out for better offers from higher clubs, and it will take a while to get acceptances at our level. We aren’t likely to be making offers they can’t refuse.

That’s the same most years for clubs down here.

I like what I’m hearing but we cannot underestimate the job that Harris has in hand.
I had a bet last season on Ipswich given that they had taken on a new manager with an excellent pedigree at our level.
He had 24 out and about 20 in and it took them until the new year to gel, costing Cook his job.
Near to the end, they hit form and will probably be a threat next season, but it took time.

The easy bit is releasing players deemed not good enough for us/NH.

The really challenging bit is making sure we get better players, whether that be individually as well as collectively, through the door.

Don't think NH will find recruiting potentially up to 15 players any easier than any of our previous managers, as in most cases it'll come down to what we can offer as a financial package, which has not been easy over the last few seasons.

When you think we operated last season with 15/16 senior players(?) which included 2 keepers, NH is going to have a real test getting better quality, balance and a bigger squad for the same budget.

Whilst I'm sure Shorey may help identify potential targets, we'll almost certainly have competition of some sort for every player we show an interest in, the question is will they choose GFC offer.

Going to be a real challenge for NH to put together a squad to challenge but I'm glad he's here to try.

One thing he'll definitely need is time.

Last edited:
The easy bit is releasing players deemed not good enough for us/NH.

The really challenging bit is making sure we get better players, whether that be individually as well as collectively, through the door.

Don't think NH will find recruiting potentially up to 15 players any easier than any of our previous managers, as in most cases it'll come down to what we can offer as a financial package, which has not been easy over the last few seasons.

When you think we operated last season with 15/16 senior players(?) which included 2 keepers, NH is going to have a real test getting better quality, balance and a bigger squad for the same budget.

Whilst I'm sure Shorey may help identify potential targets, we'll almost certainly have competition of some sort for every player we show an interest in, the question is will they choose GFC offer.

Going to be a real challenge for NH to put together a squad to challenge but I'm glad he's here to try.

One thing he'll definitely need is time.
The difference could be the amount of coaching that Harris is able to give. That fact alone will I believe make younger players who hope to play at a higher level sign for us.I believe the majority will be fairly young.The difficult bit I believe is bringing them up to standard if they have been playing lower or less competitive football. Also the experience he has to get right .Depending on exits like Ehmer?I would think you need a minimum of half a dozen more experienced professionals. We definitely need a leader at the back.Not necessary the captain. I have a lot of time for what Simon King once said that he didn't want the armband as he had enough responsibility managing the defence during the game(or something similar).The other potential positions for me are up front and possibly central midfield areas.

I believe that it’s more about organising than coaching, except for the strikers.
The art is recruiting players to play in the system that he wants to play and letting everyone know specifically what is expected.
Most managers inherit and have to play a system to suit the squad.
Harris potentially has the luxury of choosing players who can play as he wants.
Historically, he’s always played a high press, move the ball quickly type of game.
It’s up to his team to find the players and the Chairman’s job to finance it.

It was nice to hear his words re Oliver, I thought he could have been good for us in league 2, in a 4-4-2 with some support/service. Hopefully he gets a club that will provide just that and we'll see what we're missing. Shame 😒

I was searching to see if Millwall had announced their retained list as yet.I found this it could be a indicator as to which way Harris might head?
https://newsatden.co.uk/69253-millw...ye-but-can-they-make-first-team-breakthrough/
Perhaps X number of 18/19 year olds once he gets beyond the first team players.The advantage could be the odd real gem .With still enough money for first team players.This might ticket the boxes of the information we have had .Mean only the best young players will get retained up to 20 years old .Of course it is then unlikely we would have any young loan signings. But the costs of potentially having a extra group of players that can play with some older youths on a regular midweek basis could be recouped by transfer fees.
Unless I am out of date each youth year has 9 players so to have a team you would possibly need a minimum of 6/8 players to allow them to play Kent senior Cup and local friendly fixtures. If we are retaining three or more anyway we would only perhaps need another 3 or 4 to have a fair size fit keen group of players.

Last edited:
A bit of a concern for me was seeing Harris say that we won’t be able to compete financially with 7,8,9 clubs in the upper reaches of League 2 next season!
Also that we will start the season short of players and it will carry on into August like that as we have to wait for the players’ demands to drop, as the players he wants now he can’t afford.

A bit of a concern for me was seeing Harris say that we won’t be able to compete financially with 7,8,9 clubs in the upper reaches of League 2 next season!
Also that we will start the season short of players and it will carry on into August like that as we have to wait for the players’ demands to drop, as the players he wants now he can’t afford.

Get your boots on too!

I can name 3 straight away in the form of Salford, Bradford and the whoever comes from the Conference. Doncaster Rovers too?