Remaining fxtures | Page 14 | Vital Football

Remaining fxtures

So with our points deduction four of the bottom five all play a team in the top six.
I think we have the greater chance of winning BUT we must win.

Wouldn't read too much into Leeds score today as even though they rested loads of players and were playing another side with nothing to play for. It will be totally different with Charlton are fighting for their lives. They'll probably throw a load of kids on Wed too after beating Derby so comfortably.

Wouldn't read too much into Leeds score today as even though they rested loads of players and were playing another side with nothing to play for. It will be totally different with Charlton are fighting for their lives. They'll probably throw a load of kids on Wed too after beating Derby so comfortably.
I get what you're saying KDZ, but can you really see Leeds not going balls out to win in front of their fans on the last day?

Before you come back with the obvious flaw in my logic - (us vs Barnsley the other year !!! :arrghh:) I reckon Leeds will want to go out on a high.

Who knows .....maybe DW will be offering them a free holiday in Barbados if they win. ;)

I get what you're saying KDZ, but can you really see Leeds not going balls out to win in front of their fans on the last day?

Before you come back with the obvious flaw in my logic - (us vs Barnsley the other year !!! :arrghh:) I reckon Leeds will want to go out on a high.

Who knows .....maybe DW will be offering them a free holiday in Barbados if they win. ;)

I hope so but I just think someone fighting for their life vs someone fighting for nothing there is only one winner.

Just like when us and Sheff U played each other and West Ham went to Champions Man U and won to send Sheff U down.

I hope so but I just think someone fighting for their life vs someone fighting for nothing there is only one winner..

"Only one winner?" Nah...... granted, it gives them a decent chance, but Leeds are still playing for pride ......and to go out on a high.

I think you could use your logic for Luton vs t' Rovers, but Leeds will surely want to win ........... I hope .........and pray .............. a lot ............ please .................... pretty please. !

Agree with some but not all of that KDZ, like me, you've made some assumptions. If we stay up and can't offload certain players we cannot "choose" to run a wage bill at whatever level we like. Ask Sunderland about Rodwell. I'm not saying it will happen, we just don't / can't know yet. Also, there's an assumption that all players will be worth less but I'd counter that by saying only if only a single club is interested in them. Take Robinson for example, it's been suggested that he has a release clause of 1.5m but if 2+ teams want him there is no way the highest bid would be 1.5. We just don't know how finances will be affected, it's all speculation, but I'd "guess" that a local consortium trying to keep the club alive for the good of the community (god bless them) may (or may not) prefer a league one outfit with league one liabilities so the assumption that relegation will put off all buyers (as has been suggested on here) might or might not be the case. I'm just offering an alternative possibility. Not even sure if I believe it myself.

The issue with people like Rodwell was he was on an insane guaranteed long term 70k a week and shit so no one wanted or could afford to take him even if Sunderland offered him for free so he sat it out. We simply don't have anyone shit and expensive under long term contract - so if we made everyone available on a free I think we'd probably shift virtually everyone quite easily. We've had plenty of dead wood in the past who we couldn't shift but I think right now we are at a rare moment where you look down our squad and I don't think we have much of it and we have a team full of players who will be in high demand. We just don't have any Holt's or Koumas' dragging us down.

So I think whoever comes in will be in a perfect position to easily cut the wage bill to whatever level they are comfortable with due to so many sellable assets.

Looking at our squad I think Evans,Massey and Garner would be the only 3 under contract for another year and possibly on decent money that may not find a club to offer them equal or better terms than us if we offered them around.

Well said...that's the spirit. Cook will send them out swarming all over them like flies round a Richard 111. Brentford will probably be 3 up by half-time and Fulham will give up going into 50/50s with a fired up Sammi.

It can be done, it will be done.
I actually think that would be a mistake and we’d get picked off by Fulham’s quality. Our best bet is to stay in the game at all costs whilst Fulham are motivated to win. Like you say, if they find out at HT that West Brom/Brentford are winning then they will likely start taking players off in the second half and then we can just go for it.

Worst case scenario is if we win but so do Charlton and Luton.

25/1 for that to happen at William Hill. Fill ya boots.
The odds for a Charlton win are incredible value. 7/2 on Bet365.

I actually think that would be a mistake and we’d get picked off by Fulham’s quality. Our best bet is to stay in the game at all costs whilst Fulham are motivated to win. Like you say, if they find out at HT that West Brom/Brentford are winning then they will likely start taking players off in the second half and then we can just go for it.

Disagree mate...when you have to win, much like us, then strange things happen. Brentford had to win and looked shit whereas Stoke nowt to play for and looked decent. Leeds played well today and looked relaxed. Get stuck into um I say.

Even better at WH, 4-1

The issue with people like Rodwell was he was on an insane guaranteed long term 70k a week and shit so no one wanted or could afford to take him even if Sunderland offered him for free so he sat it out. We simply don't have anyone shit and expensive under long term contract - so if we made everyone available on a free I think we'd probably shift virtually everyone quite easily. We've had plenty of dead wood in the past who we couldn't shift but I think right now we are at a rare moment where you look down our squad and I don't think we have much of it and we have a team full of players who will be in high demand. We just don't have any Holt's or Koumas' dragging us down.

So I think whoever comes in will be in a perfect position to easily cut the wage bill to whatever level they are comfortable with due to so many sellable assets.

Looking at our squad I think Evans,Massey and Garner would be the only 3 under contract for another year and possibly on decent money that may not find a club to offer them equal or better terms than us if we offered them around.

Massey wont get 12.5 grand anywhere he's stealing a living with us just doesent do enough to warrant that wage. I used to like him but have lost patience with him.

Does anyone think Cook would stay with us if we go down ??

Absolutely no chance, his stock level is now at least Championship level.
I'm guessing someone like Bristol City, Middleboro possibly Derby if they are looking for someone , and he would turn down Birmingham.
Expect us to appoint a very low key Manager, possibly Graeme Jones.

Absolutely no chance, his stock level is now at least Championship level.
I'm guessing someone like Bristol City, Middleboro possibly Derby if they are looking for someone , and he would turn down Birmingham.
Expect us to appoint a very low key Manager, possibly Graeme Jones.
Cooky will stay with us

Does anyone think Cook would stay with us if we go down ??

Depends on what he gets offered by others and what happens with us.

If he gets a great offer at a club and it's a mess here I'm sure he'll be very interested in going.

But if we come out of this ok and stable and he is able to keep his key players and the offer is from a club with financial difficulties themselves and he would have to uproot his family it may not be as keen.

Moving back to the north west to be closer to family was apparently a very big factor in him leaving Pompey. I don't think he'll rule out moving his family but I do think location will be a factor.

He will be on clubs shortlists but if he ends up being their first choice and offered the jobs remains to be seen. So I don't think relegation guarantees he'll go but I think with so many champ clubs after new managers it's a decent possibility.

Massey wont get 12.5 grand anywhere he's stealing a living with us just doesent do enough to warrant that wage. I used to like him but have lost patience with him.

I don't believe Massey is on 12.5k a week at all, we know a few of the wages quoted on that site were incorrect so I would take them all with a large pinch of salt.