Religious People Are Less Intelligent | Page 5 | Vital Football

Religious People Are Less Intelligent

This is the reason I don't go out with too many religious people at one time. Such hard work trying to dumb down for them.

Then again, when there are more than 3 or 4 I take a box of cornflakes, tip the contents out on the table and tell them it is a jigsaw puzzle and it keeps them occupied for hours. You should see their little faces light up, honestly you should.

Green Tea - 17/8/2013 00:06

"Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

The major flaw in that is there isn't actually a God. Man made this 6 days and on the 7th he rested up.

But as said, if you want to think the earth is only 10 000 years old, although it makes me sit open mouthed in wonder, it isn't harming me and obviously gives you some comfort, so no real problem.

It does suggest a lack of intelligence that people can't accept the facts, ie evolution.

I'm glad to be able to tell everyone that I'm all growed up now. I can do joined up writing and am slowly getting to grips with long division.

BBJ - 17/8/2013 08:46

I'm glad to be able to tell everyone that I'm all growed up now. I can do joined up writing and am slowly getting to grips with long division.

If your writing style hasnt developed beyond joined writing you still have more growing up to do... Do the teachers let you use pens now or are you still using a pencil?

I'd be worried if you folks were allowed anything sharp if I'm honest.

:17: :17:

It's a funny old game this game of life. Find love and peace where you can I say. This study I can't really get my head around I'll have to be honest, but then a great deal of what humans do and say leave me totally baffled! :16:

Whilst I do find the title of the thread, and the assumptions made, hilarious, it does hide the fact that most here have misunderstood the study.

Firstly, as I have said before, intelligence is measured in a way that includes spacial awareness and practical applications. It is not an academic measure, so many of the presuppositions here are so wide of the mark.

Secondly, it is only a correlation, not an exact measure. It does not say that all Religious people are stupid, just that in general, they score slightly lower. This could mean that there are a few really stupid ones bringing the average down, with the remainder scoring the same as the non-religious. Quite frankly, there isn't enough information.

However, the severe lack of understanding of Science from the Creationist community as a whole does show that there is a problem here. Instead of looking at Science with open eye, they start from a point they want to prove, and this to me is a dangerous position to allow. There is a widespread lack of intelligence that the US in particular should be seriously worried about.

Anyone that takes a 3,000 year old book over what is there in front of their eyes offers nothing to the World we live in. They are just holding us back as a species.

Just to interpret for you religious people.

Heath is calling you thickos...

(hope that helps)

:17:

The Fear - 17/8/2013 10:53

Just to interpret for you religious people.

Heath is calling you thickos...

(hope that helps)

:17:

Mainly the Creationists, Fear, not all, but thanks for the short clarification. I realised after I wrote that post it was probably too long for them to follow.

:67: :67: :67:

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 16/8/2013 16:07

Tell me where Science says this?

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 13:06

According to science, mammals didnt live with dinosaurs

You said it, now prove it.

I'd still like an answer to this, if possible? Or should we all assume you don't know what you are talking about?

You claim you haven't been Brainwashed by Science, yet the evidence here just shows you don't understand it. Surely, that means that you have not examine the evidence properly, and hence your conclusions are flawed.

I just couldn't go through life living like that.

I am NOT a creationist Christian so I guess I am not in the thicko's group then.

I believe in creation to the sense we were all created (as a word) from whatever the source is you believe in. Source, I define as being God I do/and most of the time don't understand. God being the word, the source being, to me, love in it's simplest terms :14:

However, the severe lack of understanding of Science from the Creationist community as a whole does show that there is a problem here. Instead of looking at Science with open eye, they start from a point they want to prove, and this to me is a dangerous position to allow. There is a widespread lack of intelligence that the US in particular should be seriously worried about.
----------------

They ask questions about some of the theories science has delivered to the world over the subject of "all existence in the universe". Are you not happy that we have people on the planet that will question and offer another reasoned explanation to the said theory? And if the reasoned alternative to a scientific theory on the subject of all existence can be found that supports the biblical events, then why shouldnt it be heard?

There are top genetics and others in many other fields of science, that after many years in study ended up with the conclusion that a designer has to be involved. All existence is too complex to have come about by chance. The chance link is a theory by those that wont accept a designer and may they keep searching im not asking them to stop. But whatever they find, may the (unintelligent) creation scientists or YEC etc keep asking questions about those finds and thus offer alternative reasoning behind the find.
Ive posted all this on the other religious thread(no need to delve into the same subject on here as well). Im ok with science to keep investigating and searching for evidence that all existence came by chance. - I am certainly of no danger to anyone, im not saying science should stop, or that we should impose rules onto the world etc. Just live life and enjoy!

I don't believe we will ever find out out everything in this life, maybe not even the next! For this to happen there would be no point. We as humans are born to be curious and to have all the answers would mean life has no point so we would then cease to exist.

I just can't see how all of this came by chance. Taking people out of the equation the world design is too perfect. The universe and it's exact dimensions, how we the earth as all planets hang in space on a axis and so on.

A first cause?. A creator, a designer, call it what you will. I can not subscribe to all of this being by chance. It makes no sense for it to be all by chance.

Both science and faith have their place. 1 without the other doesn't make sense imo

Its like the story of Noah and the Ark.

Most people(because of science) just believes that the story is a non starter. YEC are showing the world a reasoned explanation of "how" this story "could" be a reality..You dont HAVE to believe it...There is no forcing, no control just an reasoned explanation to the story written in the scriptures. Just call it entertainment if you wish ort an education on the diversity of mankind. It isnt corrupting kids because you can just point your finger and say "hey look kids this is how some humans see life" If anything it can be seen as an education into the human species.

They have taken the dimensions from the bible and built the Ark as described in the bible, thus as close as they can to how its written in scripture. The life sized Ark has given people an idea of not just the sheer size but the intelligence in the bible to create the dimensions of such a vessel - thus when there was no ship building taking place. Even modern ship building designs today came about from those original dimensions written in scripture.. And the general public can look and see for themselves if it is large enough to hold the animals(a favoured question amongst non believers) or not etc.

This is life, just enjoy the diversity. And for those non believers and followers of evolution - then this is just part of human journey.

The only thing Il say GT about when you mentioned they are only theories, guesses etc.

"When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena."
http://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html

While it is still not a fact it will often take something incredible to change the 'theory' or refute it all together... To be fair to scientists especially ones studying quantum mechanics and space they know that we are barely scratching the surface of whats out there...

Another thing about the bible is that it has been edited the catholic Church took out and changed some of the things they didnt like... Thats where the control element comes in... Not to mention that a lot has been lost in translation because it was originally in hebrew... The version we have is far different to the original...

A funny about Noahs Ark is other religions have a version of it theres a lot of similar stories shared between religions...

A funny about Noahs Ark is other religions have a version of it theres a lot of similar stories shared between religions...
------
As(I believe) we are all descendants of Noah and his family, it wouldnt take long for the Earth to populate and the story in history gets diluted over time. This is why the flood story can be found in all corners of the world in all religions and cultures. Admittedly, it has slight variations from culture to culture, which a diluted piece of history would have...but the main concept of a man and family builds a boat, animals, global flood tends to be prominent. And there is no shortage of evidence all over the world that it wasnt once covered by water.

You only have to look at the pyramids in Egypt to realize how awesome this world is and how little we understand.

The Pyramids are 1 of the biggest talking points for the accuracy and spiritual style. How was something so perfectly built by people we think new so little.

When we compare this as many other wonders to buildings today it just enhances for me the wonders we will never understand.

mike_field - 17/8/2013 00:16

Religion and science can co-exist very reputable and historical scientists have a stated relgiious belief and believe that science can aide their religious understanding and belief in a God - if science was more questioning of itself maybe that relationship would be even more profound.

If agreement in degrees is a reasonable concept the I could not agree with this statement more. I question parts of the doctrine I follow on a daily basis and at the same time do the same in most areas of my life including my faith in scientific studies and results. Most seem to forget that the origins of modern science (in the western world) lie in people trying to understand the miracles of God's creation.

kefkat - 17/8/2013 13:50

You only have to look at the pyramids in Egypt to realize how awesome this world is and how little we understand.

The Pyramids are 1 of the biggest talking points for the accuracy and spiritual style. How was something so perfectly built by people we think new so little.

When we compare this as many other wonders to buildings today it just enhances for me the wonders we will never understand.

Dont be repackaging my thoughts Kefkat! :98:

kefkat - 17/8/2013 13:50

Slavery and good stone masons.

Not God.

Next....