Religious People Are Less Intelligent | Page 2 | Vital Football

Religious People Are Less Intelligent

wasnt a few campaigning for pope fear a while ago :69:

think that says it all :21: :5: :2:

would that be another debate though jim, if rich people are ever happy, or are you saying his not intelligent enough to handle his wealth?

suppose if giving his money away would make him more happy ... i know someone who could do with a few more bikes and a few russian women as phone assistants lol

Yeah the converstaion has moved on mate, because the original theme of the thread was obviously nonsense.

Again mate, it's all about the balance. The relentless pursuit of wealth has been detrimental to family life, it doesnt have to be wealth of course, it could be the aim of sporting or leisure success being detrimental to someones career, or spending so much time with family it's detrimental to an outer social circle - it will have similar effect. It's about the balance in order to achieve happiness, and again for me achieving that is a sign of someones intelligence.

and Dennis, I dont think it's even a racehorse.

agree its all in balance jim, have seen various documentaries of kids running around villages in africa playing with dung beetles or those out of a rain forest completely happy whilst the kids around here are claiming depression and pressure ...

suppose im quite lucky and even some people are jealous, i work when i want, and enjoy my job, can go to the pub when i want and with in reason do what i want, yet as poor as a church mouse compared to others. suppose its what actually makes people happy or even to the debate those with intelligence to know it.

To continue the debate, I've been thinking recently about the real value of intelligence. I will confess to have always been a little proud of my intellect, I'm no genius by have an IQ well above average. The thing is, I've never really used it to achieve anything in life.

My life is no more valid or valuable than someone of below average intelligence, I'm no happier because of my IQ and I don't even do the things that my brain tells me I should as it requires too much effort or I am comfortable with things as they are.

At the end of the day intelligence is fantastic for advancing the human race, new developments etc but on an individual level the main ting is contentment and that is rarely affected by IQ, certainly a person's worth can not be measured that way.

The article doesn't mention money or qualifications. These are assumptions made by people here.

The criteria outlined are used by many people, in different trades, for different ends, and is not necessarily linked to A'Levels or Degrees.

What does not show intelligence is blind faith in something, without thought or question. Some people look at Religion, think it through and take from it what they need for their lives. These people show skills in reasoning and problem solving.

Unfortunately, other don't!!

badge73 - 16/8/2013 10:20

agree its all in balance jim, have seen various documentaries of kids running around villages in africa playing with dung beetles or those out of a rain forest completely happy whilst the kids around here are claiming depression and pressure ...

suppose im quite lucky and even some people are jealous, i work when i want, and enjoy my job, can go to the pub when i want and with in reason do what i want, yet as poor as a church mouse compared to others. suppose its what actually makes people happy or even to the debate those with intelligence to know it.

We have a friend who went out on missionary work to war torn part of Africa a few years ago. He said the experience was more than humbling. It took him months to get back into normal life here.

Out there he said they had nothing, yet they shared everything, from food they couldn't afford to give. They had seen so much death of their own with young children carted off to be made into soldiers, yet they had more love and spirituality than anyone he had ever spoken to before.

They were rich in love and all the real meaning of Christ's message. At the hospitals where he went as he is a Doctor, he was treated like a King just by showing them simple techniques medically they could use and taking them medical equipment he had been able to bring out.

They had nothing yet were far happier than anyone in the western world. His story has always stuck with me. We still talk about it from time to time.

I think I'll have to start a thread on this just for those who aren't religious so we can discuss things a bit more intelligently.

:2: :4:

Kefkat - whilst no doubt your friend provided much needed help, did the people he treated have to do anything in return? Was his help freely given without conditions?

I hope so, because that would truly be wonderful.

I didnt read GTs post til now he has a point he should have thrown in the quote about the kid being asked what he wanted to be in life he said happy, the teacher said I dont think you undertsand the question and the kid says you dont understand life... You all know it I forget who says it...

One thing tho GT I dont how happy you are but if you believe the earth is 6,000 years old, we lived side by side with Dinosaurs and the Earth is flat then you are as thick as two short planks...

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 16/8/2013 10:50

The article doesn't mention money or qualifications. These are assumptions made by people here.

The criteria outlined are used by many people, in different trades, for different ends, and is not necessarily linked to A'Levels or Degrees.

I was remarking on this part of the article;

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits… More intelligent people get higher level jobs [which] may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs… more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married… though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”
-------

High level jobs should not necessarily mean higher intelligence. Many people may work in art and crafts, childcare, caring for the community etc because it's what they enjoy. Yet these jobs, are they classed as lower level because the pay isnt that great, or the criteria to achieve such jobs is obtained over a shorter period of time?
And self esteem from a high level job? I would say there is no shortage of ignorance or a personality that is verging onto a control freak but I certainly wouldnt call it self esteem!
If you want self esteem then give all your money to the poor and work as a missionary as Kat mentioned above- it will blow your mind away.

Intelligence is of limited value unless it is applied well. These guys are awfully clever chaps who did good deeds with their intellect (which might even be the same as intelligence):

Alan Turing - replicating the enigma machine and helping us give Jerry a damned good thrashing.
Sherlock Holmes - solving crimes and that.
Stephen Fry - giving me a sound edu-ma-cation in interesting stuff.

The following people are like lighthouses in the desert:
bright as f*ck, but no use to anyone.

James Dyson - "This is a £400 Hoover". 'This is another one with a ball'. It's still just a hoover though...
Boris Johnson - FFS
A bloke I know at work - I swear to God I'm going to 'performance manage' him into a canal with a piano on his head.

I have no idea whether any of these people is religious or not, but I'll be happy to martyr the last one...

I'm done.

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 12:44

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 16/8/2013 10:50

I was remarking on this part of the article;

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits… More intelligent people get higher level jobs [which] may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs… more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married… though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”
-------

High level jobs should not necessarily mean higher intelligence. Many people may work in art and crafts, childcare, caring for the community etc because it's what they enjoy. Yet these jobs, are they classed as lower level because the pay isnt that great, or the criteria to achieve such jobs is obtained over a shorter period of time?
And self esteem from a high level job? I would say there is no shortage of ignorance or a personality that is verging onto a control freak but I certainly wouldnt call it self esteem!
If you want self esteem then give all your money to the poor and work as a missionary as Kat mentioned above- it will blow your mind away.

Again, you miss the point. It doesn't say everyone in a high paid job is more intelligent. All you are doing here is verifying the results of the survey.

I can vouch for a higher self esteem from doing well in life, and that's not down to money, it's down to achievements, helping people and giving people good jobs.

CDX_EIRE - 16/8/2013 12:38

I didnt read GTs post til now he has a point he should have thrown in the quote about the kid being asked what he wanted to be in life he said happy, the teacher said I dont think you undertsand the question and the kid says you dont understand life... You all know it I forget who says it...

One thing tho GT I dont how happy you are but if you believe the earth is 6,000 years old, we lived side by side with Dinosaurs and the Earth is flat then you are as thick as two short planks...

(Not flat Earth) and that is just your opinion, im sure we can both live with it..

According to science, mammals didnt live with dinosaurs - until that is, they found evidence of such and then the page "just" gets re-written. Your world exists of pages saying one thing for years and years and then they get re-written when they realised you have all been duped. Which page will be next on the agenda that has to be re-written? And how many pages are you now believing to be true that will be re-written in the future? = How is that intelligence?

You believe in predictions, theories and guesstimates. I believe in history as foretold by our ancestors. You will die knowing the page you believed in can be re-wriiten, I dont have that problem.

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 13:06

CDX_EIRE - 16/8/2013 12:38

(Not flat Earth) and that is just your opinion, im sure we can both live with it..

According to science, mammals didnt live with dinosaurs - until that is, they found evidence of such and then the page "just" gets re-written. Your world exists of pages saying one thing for years and years and then they get re-written when they realised you have all been duped. Which page will be next on the agenda that has to be re-written? And how many pages are you now believing to be true that will be re-written in the future? = How is that intelligence?

You believe in predictions, theories and guesstimates. I believe in history as foretold by our ancestors. You will die knowing the page you believed in can be re-wriiten, I dont have that problem.

So you carry on believing something even after it has been PROVEN otherwise? You dont seriously believe that the the earth is 6000 years old do you? Strange.. but hey as long as you are happy you carry on

New research told us this Heath(which of course was written in the bible all along that both mammals and dinosaurs co-existed). Yet if you check your science history, there was a time when science told us that mammals came AFTER dinosaurs. Yet science is allowed to dupe the public with predictions, theories and guesstimates - then just change them at a later date once they realise it was wrong. And nobody blinks an eye! How can you die knowing the page you believe in could re-written at a later date? And yet im mocked for believing in pages that have stood the test of time...Crazy!

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 13:42

New research told us this Heath(which of course was written in the bible all along that both mammals and dinosaurs co-existed). Yet if you check your science history, there was a time when science told us that mammals came AFTER dinosaurs. Yet science is allowed to dupe the public with predictions, theories and guesstimates - then just change them at a later date once they realise it was wrong. And nobody blinks an eye! How can you die knowing the page you believe in could re-written at a later date? And yet im mocked for believing in pages that have stood the test of time...Crazy!

Science is not so conceited that it thinks it knows everything, hence research carries on.

However, in this case there is no re-writing. You really should read any articles you post links to before posting them. I will let you go back and have a look, and then maybe you can come back here and tell us exactly why you are wrong? It might make you look slightly less stupid.