Religious People Are Less Intelligent | Page 4 | Vital Football

Religious People Are Less Intelligent

kefkat - 16/8/2013 19:18

No it isn't a fact that The Bible is a rehash.

Yes it is. The Christian cult took much from older religions and pagan beliefs. They even hijacked the date of the birth of the son of God, to fit in with the pagan celebrations.

It was made by man to control.

Some of you good folks still need this ancient guidance, good luck and love to you.

I don't happen to share that need, but of course it is an amalgamation of all the superstitions, beliefs and doctrines of the time and that had already passed.

It is a massive and controlling; and to me quite often a thieving indoctrination.

Subconsciously though if you like, Christianity has played a huge part in who you are, and all of us born and raised in the UK.

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 16:00

Lets just round it off by saying;

That the article is correct in that religious people are thick. - you can prove this by me alone, I mean I must be thick to believe the Earth is less than 10k years old right?

Yes.

:17:

But we still love you really!

For me I struggle that intelligent people need ancient teachings, writings, superstitions, phenomenon passed as miracles (and now easily explained as simply nature) and social controls but if it brings you peace, love and happiness, then who am I to say it is wrong?

I do struggle massively with creationism and some if the other more extreme (and ignorant) leanings. But again, it doesn't really impact massively on my life.

I look forward to being proved wrong and going to Devon. Just hope I'm not sent to Hull.

The Fear - 16/8/2013 20:34

kefkat - 16/8/2013 19:18

No it isn't a fact that The Bible is a rehash.

Yes it is. The Christian cult took much from older religions and pagan beliefs. They even hijacked the date of the birth of the son of God, to fit in with the pagan celebrations.

It was made by man to control.

Some of you good folks still need this ancient guidance, good luck and love to you.

I don't happen to share that need, but of course it is an amalgamation of all the superstitions, beliefs and doctrines of the time and that had already passed.

It is a massive and controlling; and to me quite often a thieving indoctrination.

Like I said it depends on the direction your coming from. The average Christian knows that alot of the traditions are taken from other types of beliefs. I do know that.

However everything is 'pass it on' so in the 1 sense everything is borrowed/taken to an extent whatever your beliefs or non beliefs are. They are all based on what others have said or haven't.

Lets face it we come into the world, we are taught to talk, feed, eat, and so on and so forth. Everything is learnt and cross cultured to a greater or lesser degree.

There is a difference between the written word of The Bible and the traditions that have been bought into our faith. It says nothing in The Bible about for instant Christmas. That is a tradition that came about because of the book. Yes I know the tradition was taken from Paganism.

Lets separate what is written to what people have taken as traditions.

James06 - 16/8/2013 20:38

Subconsciously though if you like, Christianity has played a huge part in who you are, and all of us born and raised in the UK.

Not at all. I was brought up with values, I would like to think I would have developed values anyway, but in no way am I shaped by religion, quite the reverse I hope if we are talking organised, institutionalised religion anyway.

People at the top are bigots and hypocrites, pretty hateful characters. If there was a God and a Jesus, I would imagine they would be more ashamed of the thieves in the temple so to speak as opposed to folk like me.

So is it basically saying the thickos are the ones that are easily duped into believing a man lives in the sky and created everything only 10000 years ago?

not sure we needed a study for that...

The Fear - 16/8/2013 21:25

Not at all. I was brought up with values, I would like to think I would have developed values anyway, but in no way am I shaped by religion, quite the reverse I hope if we are talking organised, institutionalised religion anyway.

People at the top are bigots and hypocrites, pretty hateful characters. If there was a God and a Jesus, I would imagine they would be more ashamed of the thieves in the temple so to speak as opposed to folk like me.

I don't ever think about the people at the top. Beliefs and religion are personal and individual IMO.

Some people follow the organised path and they fund organisations, organisations which sometimes have nasty people at the top. But then some people pay to go to football matches, or for branded clothing, or for transportation, and in doing so they line the pockets of some loathsome characters too.
But to support a team, or prefer a certain car, or a certain make of trainers does not mean that individual should be branded with any dodgy characters that are involved with their preferences. Same as with religion.

Of course you would have...

James06 - 16/8/2013 21:47

I don't ever think about the people at the top. Beliefs and religion are personal and individual IMO.

Some people follow the organised path and they fund organisations, organisations which sometimes have nasty people at the top. But then some people pay to go to football matches, or for branded clothing, or for transportation, and in doing so they line the pockets of some loathsome characters too.
But to support a team, or prefer a certain car, or a certain make of trainers does not mean that individual should be branded with any dodgy characters that are involved with their preferences. Same as with religion.

Yes but these corporations are there for profit and shareholders, they don't claim to be the path of righteousness or the light.

Those like the Pope do, whilst sitting above the vast fortunes robbed over the centuries in their sinful vaults.

Empty them, sell them, do what God would have them do...GOOD...and they would have nothing but respect. How they have the brass hide to show their faces without choking on their words is beyond me.

CDX_EIRE - 16/8/2013 22:56

Of course you would have...

Oh well, there you are then, I don't know myself at all.

My mistake. :3:

James06 - 16/8/2013 21:47

:1: :1: :1: for Jim. Great analogy

too busy covering up what others in their organisation have choked on sadly to realise, would be a real and fantastic statement and ultimately one that really would have a positive effect instead of banging on about condoms and the like.

Never happen though.

Wellby's rant on payday lenders was perfectly in touch and 'his' own business advisors buggered that didn't they.

never heard the term knuckledraggers myself or seen any kind of stereotyping as people generalise and post quickly because this is a forum and not a thesis....hmmmm.

Villa_Grizzly - 16/8/2013 22:18

I was about to wade in but then I took a breath and thought, you know, its Friday....

Yep, crack open a bottle and enjoy - the footy season starts tomorrow.

This is my own life's journey, its your life's journey and the guy other there its his journey too..lets all accept each other for who we are...So what if I believe the Earth is less than 10k years old - this is my own little thing which gives me peace and that im happy with. No need to try and change me, im not going to hurt you..

If you want to class me as less intelligent than he next guy, its ok because im strong enough to still understand that this is "still" my journey. Your journey may well include that you have to look down, judge or be above other's...I just dont get off on that...to me, just like you and him over there, him in corner, him sitting in the chair, him lying in the street, him swimming in the sea or me typing on here - are all programmed differently.

Rosetta may enjoy a spliff or two. Fear likes to work out. VOTN dosnt eat meat. Kat used to be a alcoholic. etc etc everyone is made up differently and isnt that a beautiful thing?

The information for me and maybe many other religious people to believe in evolution and science is freely available. Im not an unfortunate and ive not been brainwashed, so nobody needs to be overly concerned. Im just lacking in intelligent because I dont swing in the direction that the so called intelligent want me swing in.

Up the Villa...

i was almost with you then GT but i think you have the wrong end of the stick.

The belief isn't so much a problem, its the lack of questionning. Science exists to question itself, that's why science evolves and disproves itself so we learn more.

Kef talks often about not taking the bible literally, but without question you dismiss science unless its science conducted by those who equally begin from the standpoint of creatonist theory cannot be questionned.

Science cannot by design brainwash because a belief in science - which i've said before is just as man made as religion - means you believe what you know isnt 100% right and the test is to improve it, make it fuller, make it more correct than it currently is.

What people struggle with is your lack of questionning at the core of your own belief, and whilst more than entitled to do that, in debates like this it will be raised mate.

Religion and science can co-exist very reputable and historical scientists have a stated relgiious belief and believe that science can aide their religious understanding and belief in a God - if science was more questioning of itself maybe that relationship would be even more profound.

kefkat - 16/8/2013 23:02

:1: :1: :1: for Jim. Great analogy

For you thickies yes.

For us more intelligent people, well.. I can't really explain why it is so bad because you wouldn't really understand.

:17:

Like I said mike we are all made up differently..What have I seen in the bible to make me believe it so much? Or what I have not seen in science to make me lack faith? = Obviously the only answer, must be me lacking in intelligence..Right?

Therefore all religious people must be lacking in intelligence?

Either that, or the intelligent people are missing something in the bible...Or something in one's life/make up/personality/conscience etc makes them decide one way or the other?

I like a famous quote from Kurt Wise;(a creationist who the intelligent may class as an intelligent person, im not sure?)

"Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

Look at the power the bible has over this guy. No matter how strong science could refute the bible he will not sway. Why?

He wouldnt be only one with a masters degree/Phd etc in a science field to have this viewpoint. And im not sure if lacking in intelligence is the word to use. Brainwashed? Again im not sure is the word, maybe it is? Or something in the their lives makes them swing in the direction they want to swing in. Maybe this goes for everything? Vegetarians, Gays, murderers, tree huggers, fitness fanatics, sadness, happiness, sex predators, etc etc?

What makes a vegetarian decide not to eat meat? Is it right/wrong or intelligent/stupid?

Maybe its time to move onto discussing the science of the human brain - Neuroscience?

Green Tea - 17/8/2013 00:06

Either that, or the intelligent people are missing something in the bible...Or something in one's life/make up/personality/conscience etc makes them decide one way or the other?

Fair play GT I dont many would readily admit their own beliefs/faith etc. I mean it in the most sincere way like I said I didnt say what I said to mean thats just my nature... I am the scorpion, you are the frog thats just how shit goes down... (I like that little quote had to repeat it)

Anyway live and let live, if I had of known you were partial to that type of thing I wouldnt have said it... I try not to go over the top with my comments on things that may be a big part of someones happiness...
The reason I dont follow religion is because all I think anyone needs to live their life by is 'treat others how you want to be treated'... It doesnt get much simplier than that...
Thats why I said you'd become a good person all by yourself Fear... Unfortunately I dont enough people in this world do that... So no need for the 10 commandments or 5 pillars just follow that simple rule...