Religious People Are Less Intelligent | Page 3 | Vital Football

Religious People Are Less Intelligent

CDX_EIRE - 16/8/2013 13:38

One thing tho GT I dont how happy you are but if you believe the earth is 6,000 years old, we lived side by side with Dinosaurs and the Earth is flat then you are as thick as two short planks...

That could be considered a very insulting post.........but I literally laughed out loud.

I think we can also judge somebody's intelligence by if they find it necassary to insult someone because they have a different opinion to themselves.

New research suggests the animals from which humans could have emerged were living in the tree tops 85 million years ago, when the dinosaurs still ruled the Earth.

Until now, the widely accepted date was 65 million years ago, about the time when the dinosaurs died out.

But a team of scientists in Britain and the United States has analysed gaps in the fossil record and come up with a new figure, some 20 million years earlier. It means the whole story of primate evolution may have to be rewritten.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1935558.stm

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 14:58

New research suggests the animals from which humans could have emerged were living in the tree tops 85 million years ago, when the dinosaurs still ruled the Earth.

Until now, the widely accepted date was 65 million years ago, about the time when the dinosaurs died out.

But a team of scientists in Britain and the United States has analysed gaps in the fossil record and come up with a new figure, some 20 million years earlier. It means the whole story of primate evolution may have to be rewritten.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1935558.stm

:19: :19: :19: :19:

Changing your argument now, are we? What about your original link, in the religion thread? And what about your comment that Scientists believed that Mammals never existed with Dinosaurs? Lets answer the original point first, shall we, not deflect by switching to a different issue.

Just a little tip. You're not a Scientist, not even close, so stop trying to twist Science to your own ends. It really does only make you look more stupid than you probably are.

Once again, you are wrong in what you stated, you know you are wrong, yet you haven't got the common decency to admit it. Religion or not, you are so far from Christ's word, he'd disown you if he were still with us. I'm sure he is crying in anguish seeing people like you representing him today.

1. Im not representing Christ or suggesting im a scientist.
2. I have not diverted from the argument.

The post I have just listed demonstrates 2 main points from my earlier post;

Firstly; that science is based on guesstimates, predictions and theories.
Secondly; that science pages get constantly re-written over time to "seemingly" correct these earlier guesstimates.

As for science believing mammals never existed with dinosaurs..It basically went from not existing, to maybe just small like mammals that ate insects, to ok maybe dog size that may have preyed on smaller dinosaurs, to maybe a type of primate lived amongst dinosaurs. Phew!

Low and behold in 25 years time science will be saying that man lived with dinosaurs - something the non changing bible has said all along. The pages keep changing and the fickle non religious media swallowing gen public just keep going along with it. Im sure it will all go full circle until one day it just comes back to understanding what is written in the bible was correct all along. Good luck with that journey!
:14:

I cant be bothered to go through another religious v Science/agnostic/atheist discussion.

Lets just round it off by saying;

That the article is correct in that religious people are thick. - you can prove this by me alone, I mean I must be thick to believe the Earth is less than 10k years old right?

And that the article is correct non religious such as yourself are far more intelligent - proved by yourself.

I think the so called intelligent maybe they need this...Its a form of controlling behaviour that makes one feel superior. Its also similar to the verbal abusive comments you can sometimes see, the feeling of superiority in such personalities needs to shine through! I think the so called intelligent make great research specimens in their behaviour and personality traits. What makes the accountant feel he is above the refuge collector? What makes the scientist think he above the religious tribesmen?

Is it christian teachings that makes you turn the other cheek GT, or because youre intelligent? Of course it cant be both?

Fair play to you anyway.

Gazgecko - 16/8/2013 12:45

These guys are awfully clever chaps who did good deeds with their intellect (which might even be the same as intelligence):

Sherlock Holmes - solving crimes and that.

:19: :19: :19:

James06 - 16/8/2013 10:13

Yeah the converstaion has moved on mate, because the original theme of the thread was obviously nonsense.

A review of 63 scientific studies dating back to 1928 has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

Only 10 of the 63 studies showed a positive correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

The paper, entitled The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations, was led by Professor Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester, and was published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review on 6 August.

So all the scientists who worked on the 63 scientific studies, and the scientists led by Professor Zuckerman on his meta analysis are all talking nonsense according to James06 of Vital Villa, I would imagine they are all devastated by this revelation, so many people wasting so much of their life :21: truly sad.

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 13:06

I believe in history as foretold by our ancestors. You will die knowing the page you believed in can be re-wriiten, I dont have that problem.

You believe in history as foretold by those in power, you believe in a book that was written how long exactly after the events it is supposed to report? And obviously no one has changed or omitted anything, even through mistranslation?

I've read through the religion threads and many historically accurate and easily verifiable claims were made regarding the fact (and it is a fact) that the bible is a rehash from earlier religions, yet you choose to ignore historical evidence supplied by our ancestors when it doesn't agree with your own personal beliefs, so how can you claim to believe in history?

Maybe the close minded adherence to personal belief even in the face of undeniable and overwhelming evidence to the contrary is what the authors of the studies and meta analysis were defining.

No it isn't a fact that The Bible is a rehash. It may be in the angle you come from but not mine. As for the study I can point to many studies that aren't of the religious nature that prove what? It's a study. I know plenty of intelligent people who have a defined faith. There are many, many thousands upon thousands who are scientists and so on who are Christians/or of another defined faith. So according to those who did the study they are unintelligent.

This is putting people on a pedestal and saying because they have done this study they can't be wrong.

Just to clarify my position on my faith, here it is copied & pasted from the last thread, where heath said my post made more sense than the 28 pages beforehand.

I will add in my own take on The Bible. I have been mentored by a lifelong lady Christian who patiently spend time with all my questions and questioning.

We as Christians who aren't fundamentalist say this generally-this is my take which parts of have been proven. The Old Testament is the 5 books (The Torah) were written by Moses who was the 1st in The Bible to have any real education. The stories were handed down through the generations that he wrote up.

Many of us take the beginning and Adam & Eve as a metaphor. From Moses on the books are the lives of The 12 Tribes of Israel. We use this as reference as the first half of The Bible is essentially the Jews history.

The O.T uses the animals as the sacrifice for sin. Hence the human sacrifice (prophesied by Isaiah) had to come, of Jesus in human form.

The reason we are all called Christians comes from Christ’s name. IANS being of Jesus. Followers of Jesus. People as do all still today expect a king a ruler to change everything to come in force. Christ did not. He was born in a manger (not all pretty like depicted in nativity scenes) a baby who grew like us. He began has he grew to sense his inner calling and who he was.

He spent many years preparing for his ministry, which was over 3 years. The ministry took him from adult baptism and humbling himself to his Father will to his teachings and the cross as certain powers could not stand his teachings. Jesus came to fulfil the law, not abolish it. He came to take man legalism out of it and leave us love and grace.

He had to go to the cross to open the bridge for man return to God. The rest is simply how Christ message was passed on.

Now to cover I hope other major points made. Yes but do you believe in the virgin birth? Do you believe in his raising from the dead and in what form? Going back to the O.T the questions usually asked are how can people live to that age! Man had to be incestuous for the world to continue! What about the various crimes committed in The Bible especially The O.T are the main questions and why believe in God. Also what is the business of heaven and hell and where do you stand with science?

Firstly I believe in science obviously. I am also a Christian. I believe both exist together and can't exist on their own. By that I mean that there is a creator, a first cause. How that is I don't know. I believe the creator to be of love. Like all spiritual/unseen elements they have an opposite God and Devil/Good and Evil. Other examples Up/Down left/right/ and so on.

Alot of people struggle with the word God because of old prejudices towards the word God, upbringing, time etc. I used too. I was then told why don't you sack that God of fear and wrath and find a loving 1 instead which does exist.

God is but a word. People I find are prejudice against a word yet are able to use the word 'higher power' 'design of the universe' and so on. They all come back to the same thing. A first cause. A design. I am also a RC which in my case is not a Recovering Catholic. It is a Recovering Christian of Childhood who has found the real meaning of being a Christian.

The word Christian means to simply follow the message of Christ and to try and live as best as I can looking towards his example set.

The O.T is about consequences and responsibilities of man life like any autobiography we would read. Yes I am bringing as much terminology up to date as the way we speak as changed over centuries.

Ages? I attribute to the fact the calendar has been forever changing over the life of the earth. Back then they had no calendar. In The N.T a calendar of sorts only existed in the cities like Jerusalem. It certainly wasn't the calendar today.

Do I believe in the virgin birth story Jesus being raised from the dead? Have I ever struggled with it? Of-course I have. Have I ever had doubts about my faith? Of-course I have. Everyone does. Anyone who says different is a liar.

Can I explain them? Of-course I can't. Not properly. There is a hell of alot we can't explain on earth Christian or not.

Heaven & hell are on earth. Christ also said 'in my Father's house, there are many mansions' the terms are metaphors.

Yes of-course I can see the crossovers of various faiths. It does not matter to me. I follow as best as I can the teachings of Jesus.

As for sin in The Bible especially the O.T which is the main bone of contention with non-faiths because of all its rottenness. The stories whether you believe them or not can be learnt from in various spiritual ways to long to go into.

The Bible tells me that 'the more the world changes, the more it stays the same' as the same things happen today just in different guises has the world has changed materially etc.

Regarding the translations of The Bible. Pick up a thesaurus and look how many words mean the same. For all non-Christians say there are inconsistencies and it has been changed we will point to works that say differently.

Science has proved itself wrong and changed its view point has all faiths have so in that score there are no difference.

Far more famous people here and passed are Christians than the average person realizes including many famous people including scientists. They like me believe that both entwine.

Do I believe there is a place for everyone Christian or not on ''the other side'' Note the inverted commas? I go back to my original statement 'in my Father’s house there are many mansions. If it was not true I would not have told you so.'

As for God/Creator etc. and whether he/she it is of a specific gender I don't know however as again The Bible says 'we are made in the image of' so I suspect God can manifest in whatever form he wants too as God did with the body of Jesus.

The reason God is taken as a he is because Jesus was a man. Two exceptionally written Christian books by Wm Paul Young called The Shack and The Crossroads which have caused alot of controversy within the Christian world with Fundamentalist give a very different view on God's gender. They are palatable to everyone these 2 books of faith or not. Infact they are less palatable to the fundamentalists than non-Christians.

Engrossing books I read in a few days as I couldn't put them down.

Regarding the age of the earth: 2 Peter 8 says 'A day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day, in God's time.' which some boffin worked out to be that in God's time then literally our lives last approximately 20 seconds. Hasn't flipping felt like it

There is the argument that man appeared on earth in the last 10 thousand or so years and the earth is much older than that, has to why the difference in opinion. Again I say the calendar has changed much. Like science self re=examines so does The Bible/faith.

It is only in the Victorian era that The Bible became literal as before that in general like today The Bible was taken spiritually and by interpretation.

The Bible covers humanness. It is not about specifics of the scientific world. If I wanted to read on science I wouldn't buy an English Literature book and the same applies with The Bible. Like I said 1 can't exist without the other

Green Tea - 16/8/2013 16:00

I cant be bothered to go through another religious v Science/agnostic/atheist discussion.

Lets just round it off by saying;

That the article is correct in that religious people are thick. - you can prove this by me alone, I mean I must be thick to believe the Earth is less than 10k years old right?

And that the article is correct non religious such as yourself are far more intelligent - proved by yourself.

My apologies GT for kicking things off in a bad direction, I like your positive posts about football never change... :7:
With that said I didn't do this to be mean. I just did this because it's my nature. I am the scorpion you are the frog. This is how shit goes down.

In all seriousness though you guys might get a good laugh out of my beliefs... I liked what Carl Sagan said (which you can see below) he talks about us being made of the stars and that we are the galaxy experiencing itself... I dont believe in the godly fairly tales but Il eat up some crazy science stuff about space...

Anyone can believe in what they want but I draw the line with creationist stuff those who take translation literally are the ones I consider idiots because its harmful to humanity advancing our environment IMO...

Attachments

• we-are-made-of-star-stuff-by-Carl-Sagan.gif
    we-are-made-of-star-stuff-by-Carl-Sagan.gif
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
Well i think we are all here for a purpose and that there is more to life like everything else than meets the eye, what its all about is imo too much for us to comprehend, i think at the end of this mental life i will sitting in a field of claret and blue roses with my family freinds and for eternity watching Villa lift the trophies every season with my kids with a newkey brown ale now thats heaven

JamTomorrow - 16/8/2013 18:46

James06 - 16/8/2013 10:13

Yeah the converstaion has moved on mate, because the original theme of the thread was obviously nonsense.

A review of 63 scientific studies dating back to 1928 has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

Only 10 of the 63 studies showed a positive correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

The paper, entitled The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations, was led by Professor Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester, and was published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review on 6 August.

So all the scientists who worked on the 63 scientific studies, and the scientists led by Professor Zuckerman on his meta analysis are all talking nonsense according to James06 of Vital Villa, I would imagine they are all devastated by this revelation, so many people wasting so much of their life :21: truly sad.

But this is the argument about how we judge intelligence. Is the deeply religious fisherman who lives in the mud hut in Africa less intelligent than the wall street stockbroker because he was never taught how to read and write? According to the 'scientists' probably, but he has less stress, he spends more time relaxed and he'll probably die a happier man. Poorer places, with less investment into academia tend to have stronger faiths (Asia, south America, Africa) that doesn't mean they are less intelligent.

One thing I've learned from this and other religious based discussions on this forum is that it's the atheists who are more aggressive, patronising, belittling, sarcastic and uncompromising in their opinions. If that is anything to go by then I wish I had a stronger faith!

James06 - 16/8/2013 20:01

But this is the argument about how we judge intelligence. Is the deeply religious fisherman who lives in the mud hut in Africa less intelligent than the wall street stockbroker because he was never taught how to read and write? According to the 'scientists' probably, but he has less stress, he spends more time relaxed and he'll probably die a happier man. Poorer places, with less investment into academia tend to have stronger faiths (Asia, south America, Africa) that doesn't mean they are less intelligent.

One thing to consider is the ancient people in the likes of Egypt...

They built crazy structures which aligned with the stars... Newgrange in Meath aligns with the Winter Solstice... Im sure most of us consider ourselves smarter than them but they have built some structures which I consider more impressive than some of the stuff we've built...

What is intelligence? I put a big emphasis on can you think for yourself... Eistein supposedly failed a simple maths test when he was young he seemed pretty smart to me... Then you have Nicola Tesla this guy is responsible for the electronic world we live a true genius probably one of if not the most brilliant person to have ever lived but he died broke and alone...

I'd also like to ask why are so called scientists, probably qualified up to the eyeballs, spent their lives dedicated to academics: wasting their time studying whether or not people who believe in god are more or less intelligent than those who don't?

That in itself is pretty unintelligent IMO. What on earth is the point?