primary schools re-opening | Page 3 | Vital Football

primary schools re-opening

just wish the mps would go back to parliament. Ok for sending everyone else back and they are all at home. covid 19 will always be with us unless a vaccine is found. For the majority it will be mild if they catch it, the chances of catching it now are 1000 to 1. Life has to go on , people cant sit back and wait for it to go away, because that's not going to happen. I have worked with the public throughout the whole period in an indoor environment, and do not know of anyone who has caught covid 19.
As far as I know, the Commons are sitting tomorrow

There are several hundred thousand Brits here in Spain ?

Bloody immigrants eh VG 😁

Going over there not speaking the language, bringing their foreign culture of eastenders, pie&mash, union Jack shorts, blah, blah 😉

Sorry just couldn't resist.

Although UK / Spain have high deaths we still dont really know how many people have had it. If it's a small percentage of population then perhaps less surprising that few people know anyone who have it/had it. I work in a factory with 1500 people. Not one confirmed case so far and very have been off with symptoms.

If it's a small percentage of population then perhaps less surprising that few people know anyone who have it/had it. I work in a factory with 1500 people. Not one confirmed case so far and very have been off with symptoms.
And that's the problem. At the outset, we were told only the old, those with underlying conditions and a few more would die, ie 1% of those who caught it. So, where you work there could be carriers with the mildest of symptoms or those who are asymptomatic and still carrying; hence, two/three thousand plus new cases and 200/300 deaths or more every week. The Govt. figures only report deaths of those tested positive for the disease.

There's a satellite city here on the outskirts of Madrid called Torrejon de Ardoz which is currently offering tests to its entire population (around 135,000). So far, of 50,000 tested, 20% of them have tested positive for having had the virus. Seems there may actually be quite a large number of people who've had it without even realising it.

There's a satellite city here on the outskirts of Madrid called Torrejon de Ardoz which is currently offering tests to its entire population (around 135,000). So far, of 50,000 tested, 20% of them have tested positive for having had the virus. Seems there may actually be quite a large number of people who've had it without even realising it.
My Mrs did one of the antibody tests last week, before they were discredited by the govt (we are now due our money back). we were convinced we had had it back in feb. She was negative on that test. But since its been discredited she's still in hope its possible shes had it.

My Mrs did one of the antibody tests last week, before they were discredited by the govt (we are now due our money back). we were convinced we had had it back in feb. She was negative on that test. But since its been discredited she's still in hope its possible shes had it.
I think many feel the same; unfortunately, the scientists have no understanding yet as regards immunity, ie weeks, months or years.

Thats what I was getting at a couple of weeks ago when I posted the scientist's estimate that over 19m in the uk had had it (must be well over 20m by now if those guesses were anywhere near accurate). The death toll of under 40k, although tragic, seems quite low if they were right. (Before anyone accuses me of being uncaring to victim'sfamilies, I speak as someone who has lost family to COVID-19)

(Before anyone accuses me of being uncaring to victim'sfamilies, I speak as someone who has lost family to COVID-19)

Sorry to hear this, nobs. And anyone to anyone else who has lost family or loved ones.

Had a horrible scare with one family member, and am still very concerned that another might catch the virus as they have an underlying health condition.

We can only hope the scientists can work something out asap.

I know mate ,but it's still a long time.

Yes, I know what you mean. It'll affect some more than others, depends on the year they're in and the kids' family circumstances really. There are kids that'll still be working pretty much as if they were at school. Some, like mine, that are doing all the work they're set and a little bit of studying on top, but not doing a full 5.5 hour day like they'd have at school (actually, come to think of it, now we're in June that should be 4.5 hours a day as they finish an hour earlier - must remember to make sure my kids aren't reminded about that :LOL:). And then others that will have pretty much lost all contact with the school.

Yes, I know what you mean. It'll affect some more than others, depends on the year they're in and the kids' family circumstances really. There are kids that'll still be working pretty much as if they were at school. Some, like mine, that are doing all the work they're set and a little bit of studying on top, but not doing a full 5.5 hour day like they'd have at school (actually, come to think of it, now we're in June that should be 4.5 hours a day as they finish an hour earlier - must remember to make sure my kids aren't reminded about that :LOL:). And then others that will have pretty much lost all contact with the school.
Its a tough one isn't it? There will always be the line of thought "well, what would have changed come September?". I have many colleagues (as well as many other key workers) who's kids haven't actually missed a day since the start and I've personally heard of none that have contracted the virus, many people have forgotten about them and the fact that these schools are now well practised in social distancing. Who knows what the best way forward is?

My sons friends parent didnt tell him (not sure they realised it themselves) that it was half term last week. So he was working last week and a bit shocked when my son told him 🤣🤣.

That said, the school didnt actually give any work for the half term, so he must have been behind if he still actually had work to do! My boy was up to date and im not mean enough to give him extra! (I dont have the patience to make sure its done properly either - its enough of a battle to get him to do the work he IS set... he doesnt enjoy school work!)

My sons friends parent didnt tell him (not sure they realised it themselves) that it was half term last week. So he was working last week and a bit shocked when my son told him 🤣🤣.

That said, the school didnt actually give any work for the half term, so he must have been behind if he still actually had work to do! My boy was up to date and im not mean enough to give him extra! (I dont have the patience to make sure its done properly either - its enough of a battle to get him to do the work he IS set... he doesnt enjoy school work!)

That battle sounds familiar! My youngest will moan about most things, but eventually do whatever needs to be done. My eldest gets sent work sometimes that seems to be a bit vague in terms of whether they actually *have* to do it, or it's just something the school's giving them to keep them busy ("We thought it might be a nice idea for the students to...", that kind of thing), and he'll always kick up a fuss about those things.

Thats what I was getting at a couple of weeks ago when I posted the scientist's estimate that over 19m in the uk had had it (must be well over 20m by now if those guesses were anywhere near accurate). The death toll of under 40k, although tragic, seems quite low if they were right. (Before anyone accuses me of being uncaring to victim'sfamilies, I speak as someone who has lost family to COVID-19)

Sorry to hear that Nobby. Doesn't sound uncaring at all, I know exactly what you mean. Even 1 death is a tragedy. 40k is a huge number, but as you say, if there are potentially millions that have had the virus then, in percentage terms, 40k deaths really is a relatively low number.

The estimate was about 1% fatalities of those who had the disease, which could have been a lot higher without the lockdown measures taken and maybe far fewer if we had a stricter lockdown.

The estimate was about 1% fatalities of those who had the disease, which could have been a lot higher without the lockdown measures taken and maybe far fewer if we had a stricter lockdown.
Agreed, I know everyone is probably bored of me saying it but we've never really had a proper lockdown in this country. Just a set of guidances which most chose to observe.

Agreed, I know everyone is probably bored of me saying it but we've never really had a proper lockdown in this country. Just a set of guidances which most chose to observe.

It was always the plan , slow down the spread because the health systems of the world couldn't cope.
Spain's lockdown was at the other extreme to the UK's , but the same message was there. I look at it as a crash course of re-educating the public , teaching them hygiene and how the virus was spread.
Fortunately , that has worked , and the majority of people now understand the seriousness.

It was always the plan , slow down the spread because the health systems of the world couldn't cope.
Spain's lockdown was at the other extreme to the UK's , but the same message was there. I look at it as a crash course of re-educating the public , teaching them hygiene and how the virus was spread.
Fortunately , that has worked , and the majority of people now understand the seriousness.
I'm thinking, as time goes by, it'll never just "snuff out", even when there is a vaccine. Flu has a vaccine but not everyone takes it up and I think this will be the same. I also wonder if total lockdown would have just delayed it getting to those that have had it so yes, its all been about control and not overrunning the NHS, which would have lead to many more deaths. (Did anyone hear of a hospital that actually ran out of PPE?)
I'm happy with that, we can all take precautions which maybe we didn't before, as I've said, i regularly use hand gel when using public transport etc and can't remember the last time I used a handrail. Even my dear old mum pops to the local shop some days now as she's going stir crazy. The shop only let's a few in at a time and she washes her hands as she leaves, so far so good.
As someone else mentioned though, I'm not sure I'd be so blase if I was 20 years older 🤔

Humans have been fighting virus's since the day they developed from apes.
This particular one is killing around 1% of the population , which is f**k all compared to previous stuff.
In 2020 , its enough to cripple our world. Nature takes care of the population , it will always will.