primary schools re-opening | Page 2 | Vital Football

primary schools re-opening

My business does work for a bank. I am technically classed as a key worker and since we are set up to wfh we have been working all the way through lockdown.

Its been a real challenge balancing work with home schooling both our kids for the past 9 weeks. I am having to work through the evenings to catch up with my work that i dont do during the day, regularly till 1-2am as i dont have the time to get everything done during the day while both my kids are home schooled. Its just impossible to do both during the day. With my youngest going back to school, it leaves my wife able to concentrate on my eldest who has not gone back yet, and i can hopefully be more effective in my job during the days.

Ironically, id wager its mostly the parents who are flooding the local beaches, or having friends over regardless of isolation rules who have decided its not safe enough to go back to school.
My kids are older than yours (15 and 16) and they are self sufficient so they aren't a problem. I can also work from home, and there's enough room that they can stay out of my way. I have colleagues though that are either single parents with primary school age kids, or they live in crowded flats, and they are not really coping.

And I'm the same as you re the risk. If everyone was too scared of the virus we wouldn't be getting the food and other essentials we need.

I don't know what is expected to change by September either?

No, not really. Theres a risk, yes - of course there is... but as i say, there will always be a risk. Even in september. Working out when is 'right' to send kids back to school IMO is all down to picking a time at which the benefits/costs outweigh the risks. That may be a personal opinion too.

Theres always other risks for kids as well. Theres a risk he might get run over etc. If i worried about every risk he may encounter, he'd never leave the house. Coronavirus seems to be well past its peak now, so im happy the risks are low enough to warrant him going back.

I see myself as fairly laid back and i think the benefit of him going to school now outweighs the potential risk i believe there is.

Dont tell my son.... but....my greater concern was actually for the teachers. They literally have to put themselves at more risk, seeing 9 kids all at once. Where my son can to an extent socially distance, they wont really be able to. I admit to feeling a little bit of guilt for putting the teachers at risk, but overall i still think the risk is low. They all had their temperature checked this morning before they were allowed in. That'll be a nice novelty for them for a few days, anyway!
I hope this does not lead to a second spike.

I hope this does not lead to a second spike.

I think it's almost inevitable WX.

If you cast your mind back, the lockdown was not to prevent people getting Covid 19 , it was to prevent the NHS hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Fortunately, most seemed to cope very well and we avoided the situation that Spain & Italy found themselves in.

The second spike will likely be far more manageable for the NHS as they are now better prepared.

In my opinion, it's not about if you get covid 19 but when, and how it affects you as an individual.

Some , like our friend chriswho, will need to be extra careful.
For many others, it will be water off a ducks back.

People breaking lockdown = second spike
Easing of restrictions = second spike
VE day parties = second spike
Bank holiday crowds = second spike
Primary schools reopening = second spike

That's only 5

Government and especially PM giving garbled messages

Cummings breaking lockdown repeatedly, lying about it, failinfg to apologise and enjoying total support from PM.

That's your 7 Up and I think my 2 explain the breakdown of distancing rather better

They can go to school but not use playgrounds in parks.
??
I'm guessing because they won't be strictly supervised. I think a lot of the problem with easing of restrictions isn't so much the easing itself but lack of explanation.
For example, "I can have an estate agent round to my house but not my mum???" was a popular one doing the rounds.
I actually looked into this and the explanation, when given, made perfect sense.
Basically, an estate agent visits and you will be far less tempted to greet them with a hug and a kiss than you would your mother (depending on what the estate agent looked like I suppose😳) therefore maintaining distancing.
Makes perfect sense doesn't it?
Mind you, one that I think might catch a few out........
FB_IMG_1591007655137.jpg

I'm guessing because they won't be strictly supervised.

Not sure that would be the reason. At school they'll be supervised by 1 teacher for every how many - 15 kids (under current circumstances)? In a park there should be a parent with them, even if they're a family with 6 kids, the kids should still be far more closely supervised than they would be at school.

Admittedly, teachers are far less likely to be distracted by their phones and talking to their mates than many parents, but even so.

At a guess, it's maybe because at school, everything can be cleaned far more regularly, especially things being touched frequently by the kids? You can control where they are, rotate them around to different areas while the areas they've been in are disinfected. In a playground, it's not as easy to go round cleaning swings, slides, etc. every hour with all the kids playing on them.

Not sure that would be the reason. At school they'll be supervised by 1 teacher for every how many - 15 kids (under current circumstances)? In a park there should be a parent with them, even if they're a family with 6 kids, the kids should still be far more closely supervised than they would be at school.

Admittedly, teachers are far less likely to be distracted by their phones and talking to their mates than many parents, but even so.

At a guess, it's maybe because at school, everything can be cleaned far more regularly, especially things being touched frequently by the kids? You can control where they are, rotate them around to different areas while the areas they've been in are disinfected. In a playground, it's not as easy to go round cleaning swings, slides, etc. every hour with all the kids playing on them.
I'd love to share your optimism but after seeing how the kids have been "supervised " by their parents on the beach at Southend this weekend, I'm not confident 😁😁😁

Drove 30 miles to see my daughter at 2 metres for first time passing 6 primary schools on the way. Only one was open.

just wish the mps would go back to parliament. Ok for sending everyone else back and they are all at home. covid 19 will always be with us unless a vaccine is found. For the majority it will be mild if they catch it, the chances of catching it now are 1000 to 1. Life has to go on , people cant sit back and wait for it to go away, because that's not going to happen. I have worked with the public throughout the whole period in an indoor environment, and do not know of anyone who has caught covid 19.

Well a grand total of four kids in my sons class took up the offer of school today. I think there was 7 in his mate's class. Not sure how many in the third class. Only year 1 are back atm so it was all very quiet and managable for them really.

My boy had a decent enough time, although didnt enjoy the movie they got to watch at lunch much! Think hed prefer to be out playing. Im sure after a short settling in period things will loosen up. Already one other parents after joining the party later on in the week after hearing it was alright. I suspect over the next few weeks a few more will start to do it too. Until then, my sons got the best teacher:student ratio he'll ever have! Better than any private school!🤣

just wish the mps would go back to parliament. Ok for sending everyone else back and they are all at home. covid 19 will always be with us unless a vaccine is found. For the majority it will be mild if they catch it, the chances of catching it now are 1000 to 1. Life has to go on , people cant sit back and wait for it to go away, because that's not going to happen. I have worked with the public throughout the whole period in an indoor environment, and do not know of anyone who has caught covid 19.

There are several hundred thousand Brits here in Spain , yet nobody knows someone who has had it. The English speaking newspapers have not reported any cases , nor radio stations.
Mrs VG belongs to practically every expat group on FB , and there's been nothing.
Bearing in mind the number of vulnerable (by age) Brits , its rather incredible. Or is it ?