primary schools re-opening | Vital Football

primary schools re-opening

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
I may be very stupid but i am concerned about the following:

Teachers and staff have not been tested for COVID 19.

Pupils have not been tested for COVID 19.

Pupils will not stay 2 metres apart.

Why not just wait until September to see if things are better? They shut in Mid July anyway. The kids wont miss out by waiting until September. Is this just a political thing?

The private school in my area has already said they are staying shut til September. Does private = different standards on this?

Why not just wait until September to see if things are better? They shut in Mid July anyway. The kids wont miss out by waiting until September. Is this just a political thing?

The private school in my area has already said they are staying shut til September. Does private = different standards on this?
I agree I think the private sector is probably free from state control. Also concerned that if a child were to die they could potentially be faced with the parents suing them for millions.

Different standards indeed. How many kids of Tory MPs do you see at the local Comp? As for sending the 5 year olds back it is bloody ridiculous as per the dangers you have mentioned. Can anyone honestly expect a 5 year old to fully understand social distancing and the potential Covid implications? Ludicrous.

Different standards indeed. How many kids of Tory MPs do you see at the local Comp? As for sending the 5 year olds back it is bloody ridiculous as per the dangers you have mentioned. Can anyone honestly expect a 5 year old to fully understand social distancing and the potential Covid implications? Ludicrous.
It was a fair time since I have been able to judge five year olds but from my experience there are some massive differences in understanding at that age a percentage of them will understand and listen. But they will almost certainly not be the majority. In my wider family the younger generation I would of thought about 2 or maybe 3 of 7 would have understood at that age .But it only takes one or two to not understand in a group to make the job of keeping kids apart impossible.The problem is its is those kids that understand will be better at keeping up with learning at home. So in affect it's likely to have very little benefit to them .The ones that need to be back at school will be the ones that carry the greatest risk to both themselves and the teachers and wider community.

Last edited:
All about getting the economy going by sorting out childcare. Teens can look after themselves at home. Primary kids cant.

My Mrs. is a primary teacher be interesting to see how many kids turn up. Glad I dont have to make that decision. Mine are both all grown up.

School now goes above ASDA in the most likely place we will contract it

My 6 year old understands the social distancing rules and implications. He doesnt always remember, but he fully understands it.

He goes back today. Theres only 9 people in his class going back, many parents are saying no.

We are looking forward to a return to some sort of normality. Covid19 wont just disappear, so even in september there will still be a risk of it. So there will never be a time when its perfect to go back. I think now a large majority of people are already flouting social diatancing rules to be honest, so i dont have a particular concern of him going to school.

I can see the govt increasing it to other years very soon. They were even talking about reducing the minimum distance to 1m i think.

All about getting the economy going by sorting out childcare. Teens can look after themselves at home. Primary kids cant.

My Mrs. is a primary teacher be interesting to see how many kids turn up. Glad I dont have to make that decision. Mine are both all grown up.

School now goes above ASDA in the most likely place we will contract it
All the best to your wife today not easy just staying safe.Hopefully the brightest children will help her manage the class.If one or two can get their heads around what needs to be done and help in the right way it could be better that we all fear.

I think you need to have primary school children to be able to answer this. Some of my work colleagues have been desperate for weeks.

The schools are partially open anyway for key workers kids.

I think you need to have primary school children to be able to answer this. Some of my work colleagues have been desperate for weeks.

The schools are partially open anyway for key workers kids.

My business does work for a bank. I am technically classed as a key worker and since we are set up to wfh we have been working all the way through lockdown.

Its been a real challenge balancing work with home schooling both our kids for the past 9 weeks. I am having to work through the evenings to catch up with my work that i dont do during the day, regularly till 1-2am as i dont have the time to get everything done during the day while both my kids are home schooled. Its just impossible to do both during the day. With my youngest going back to school, it leaves my wife able to concentrate on my eldest who has not gone back yet, and i can hopefully be more effective in my job during the days.

Ironically, id wager its mostly the parents who are flooding the local beaches, or having friends over regardless of isolation rules who have decided its not safe enough to go back to school.

My business does work for a bank. I am technically classed as a key worker and since we are set up to wfh we have been working all the way through lockdown.

Its been a real challenge balancing work with home schooling both our kids for the past 9 weeks. I am having to work through the evenings to catch up with my work that i dont do during the day, regularly till 1-2am as i dont have the time to get everything done during the day while both my kids are home schooled. Its just impossible to do both during the day. With my youngest going back to school, it leaves my wife able to concentrate on my eldest who has not gone back yet, and i can hopefully be more effective in my job during the days.

Ironically, id wager its mostly the parents who are flooding the local beaches, or having friends over regardless of isolation rules who have decided its not safe enough to go back to school.
I would say those returning to school will mainly be more likely to fail into three categories. The children like your son who probably is one of the more intelligent and will not be too much problem.Then there will be those who the parents can't wait to get rid of them.Those are the ones that the teacher will always have problems with .Then there are those like my son was who might have supportive parents. But in my sons case he would not have had the understanding or the attention span.He would need the schooling but children like he was are simply to bigger risk at this time .So had my son been of school age I would not have sent him.I would hope most parents of children like that will keep their child away.

Last edited:
Just watched them going into the school at the end of our road. Nowhere near as many as I'd expected. Scant little social distancing as they waited to be let in the building, that's the parents as much as the kids.

I understood all of that wxgill. You must be losing your touch.
:-)

As you have a child at school how genuinely worried are you about catching COVID 19 off of your child?

Judging by your choice not very worried at all.

I'm just trying to understand your thought process.

It's not just reception children, nursery children are also back today. My daughter usually teaches year four, but has been allocated 30 nursery age children today. I'm really hoping they don't all attend.

I know a school administrator who has been covering duties for missing teachers. She has had no training as a teacher.:(

At least we are past that ridiculous phase when it was being cast as people v unions and teachers, government v councils. On the ground numbers may take some time to build up, which may hopefully allow staff to get used to new ways of working. It should also mean that pupils used to the new ways lead the others as numbers build. Why on earth could we not have approached this in a more open and permissive way from the start.

My small but recent experience of collecting and depositing grandchildren on an occasional basis informs my limited view. It's parents and others that are the greateast risk for spreading any infection both on school grounds and in the immediate surroundings.

Last edited:
As you have a child at school how genuinely worried are you about catching COVID 19 off of your child?

I have come to the conclusion that individuals need to do their own risk assessment.
If you are young, fit and healthy, then the risk of being ill is very low, when you contract covid.
If you are in the vulnerable group, the risk changes considerably.

Given that literally thousands and thousands took to the beautiful Devon beaches over this weekend, that tells me that many people don't see it as a risk to them.
However, they could present a severe risk to others that they later come into contact with.

We could well see a two tier system where the healthy get on with life while the vulnerable continue to isolate and take every precaution.
This may continue for years. Certainly until a vaccine is found.

No, not really. Theres a risk, yes - of course there is... but as i say, there will always be a risk. Even in september. Working out when is 'right' to send kids back to school IMO is all down to picking a time at which the benefits/costs outweigh the risks. That may be a personal opinion too.

Theres always other risks for kids as well. Theres a risk he might get run over etc. If i worried about every risk he may encounter, he'd never leave the house. Coronavirus seems to be well past its peak now, so im happy the risks are low enough to warrant him going back.

I see myself as fairly laid back and i think the benefit of him going to school now outweighs the potential risk i believe there is.

Dont tell my son.... but....my greater concern was actually for the teachers. They literally have to put themselves at more risk, seeing 9 kids all at once. Where my son can to an extent socially distance, they wont really be able to. I admit to feeling a little bit of guilt for putting the teachers at risk, but overall i still think the risk is low. They all had their temperature checked this morning before they were allowed in. That'll be a nice novelty for them for a few days, anyway!

Last edited: