primary schools re-opening | Page 4 | Vital Football

primary schools re-opening

Humans have been fighting virus's since the day they developed from apes.
This particular one is killing around 1% of the population , which is f**k all compared to previous stuff.
In 2020 , its enough to cripple our world. Nature takes care of the population , it will always will.
In fact, if the figures in the paper a couple of weeks ago are true, its even less. If 19m have had it and 39k of those have died, its actually only 0.2% of those who have actually caught it.
As I said, I'll never trivialise it but I can certainly live with those kinds of figures

In fact, if the figures in the paper a couple of weeks ago are true, its even less. If 19m have had it and 39k of those have died, its actually only 0.2% of those who have actually caught it.
As I said, I'll never trivialise it but I can certainly live with those kinds of figures

It's not a case of trivialising it mate , it's just keeping things in perspective.

Still quiet. Only busy up until around 07.45hrs (builders), no office or shop workers to date, expect it to be different as from Monday 15th. Management have reduced the hours (but still getting paid in full) but we expect to go back to normal working soon. Thanks for asking.

(Did anyone hear of a hospital that actually ran out of PPE?)
Yes, there is evidence and there were many reports; the response was that clinicians were changing PPE too often - a politicians response. I'm sure that many lessons have been learned. As regards care homes, many never got PPE despite what Hancock and others said. Care homes exist because the nation failed old people whether that be the state or their families. And yes, most care homes are in the private sector but while they look after old and permanently sick people, they are not and should not be equipped to deal with a pandemic. Hopefully there will be a vaccine; it won't, of course, stop the spread of a virus but an early system in place for test and trace should take care of that then lockdown could be selective rather than universal but it would have to be policed.

My daughter is in year 2 so not back at school yet, but her school is pretty quiet! The problem they have had is spreading the year 1 and year 6 kids out to make smaller classes! The year 2 classrooms are being used for other year groups so may not even be room if my daughter could go back in July!
Another school local to me is closed because 4 of the teaching staff refused to work as they didnt feel safe for themselves or the children!

Yes, there is evidence and there were many reports; the response was that clinicians were changing PPE too often - a politicians response. I'm sure that many lessons have been learned. As regards care homes, many never got PPE despite what Hancock and others said. Care homes exist because the nation failed old people whether that be the state or their families. And yes, most care homes are in the private sector but while they look after old and permanently sick people, they are not and should not be equipped to deal with a pandemic. Hopefully there will be a vaccine; it won't, of course, stop the spread of a virus but an early system in place for test and trace should take care of that then lockdown could be selective rather than universal but it would have to be policed.
My friend is a dentist in garforth. He cannot open when the govt are telling them they can open as they cannot get access to any PPE, so cannot guarantee the safety of staff and patient. Thats just one example.

Oh right, I know there were shortages but I never read of any hospitals actually running out

Oh right, I know there were shortages but I never read of any hospitals actually running out
As far as I know, they didn't "run out" because they used the same equipment repeatedly rather than changing it after each patient.

As an aside, if we have been following the science and the advice of our top experts, it appears that we have amongst the worst set of scientists/experts in the world. I had previously imagined they were some of the best.

As far as I know, they didn't "run out" because they used the same equipment repeatedly rather than changing it after each patient.

As an aside, if we have been following the science and the advice of our top experts, it appears that we have amongst the worst set of scientists/experts in the world. I had previously imagined they were some of the best.
Doesn't help when SAGE, who are apparently the top advisors, can't decide between themselves what the best advice is. It seems every time the govt announce something (as advised by SAGE) a few members of the same group come out with "I never said that".
What hope do we have?

Doesn't help when SAGE, who are apparently the top advisors, can't decide between themselves what the best advice is. It seems every time the govt announce something (as advised by SAGE) a few members of the same group come out with "I never said that".
What hope do we have?
I cant help but feel that the govt is simply not listening properly to the expert advice, or listening selectively, at least. They seem to be making decisions based on politics, not the science. Just look at johnson reducing lockdown. No criteria were met, other than the fact he needed something to take the conversation away from dominic cummings. It worked. People dont care so much now they are allowed ou tmore. In fact cummings doing what he likes has given many others the right to do as they please too IMO.

Last edited:
I cant hell but feel that the govt is simply nit listening properly to the expert advice, or listening selectively, at least. They seem to be making decisions based on politics, not the science. Just look at johnson reducing lockdown. No criteria were met, other than the fact he needed something to take the conversation away from dominic cummings. It worked. People dont care so much now they are allowed ou tmore. In fact cummings doing what he likes has given many others the right to do as they please too IMO.

Couldn't agree more!

I cant help but feel that the govt is simply not listening properly to the expert advice, or listening selectively, at least. They seem to be making decisions based on politics, not the science. Just look at johnson reducing lockdown. No criteria were met, other than the fact he needed something to take the conversation away from dominic cummings. It worked. People dont care so much now they are allowed ou tmore. In fact cummings doing what he likes has given many others the right to do as they please too IMO.
I totally get that and am sure you're right to an extent but reading this board, I would suggest he's made anything BUT populist decisions.
The Chancellor has made a lot about the financial and health implications of an extended lockdown and although I could see his thinking, I was sceptical about how much difference it would make.
A quick search and some headlines jumped out at me.
500,000 extra cancer deaths worldwide post 2098 crash, due to austerity between 2008-10 according to The Lancet

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/financial-crisis-caused-500000-extra-cancer-death-according-to-l/amp/#aoh=15912421042213&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

10,000 extra suicides in Europe & USA

BBC News - Recession 'led to 10,000 suicides' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27796628

to name just two.

With (potentially) many others, makes you realise what a fine balancing act governments around the world have in keeping people safe from COVID, keeping health services from going under and keeping other deaths from getting out of hand and potentially claiming more lives than COVID-19 itself.
The claim that people are happy because they can go out more doesn't ring 100% true either, people have been "going out" for weeks. A visit to any beach, park, or city on a sunny day has proved that.
I'm not saying The Govt are totally blame free, very few are or have been over the years.

Last edited:
The most bizarre aspect of easing lockdown restrictions that include getting more children back to school is Rees Mogg's insistence that the House of Commons should get back to normal. But in this case 'normal' means no more than 50 MPs in the chamber because strict social distancing rules apply but you must be in the House in order to vote. You can give a proxy vote to a fellow MP if you're away on maternity leave but not if you're shielding or in self-isolation because of the coronavirus. Social distancing should apply when voting, which could mean a line of MPs over a kilometre in length queueing in order to go through the Division Lobby. Not Rees Mogg's new normal but his abnormal.

Pinched from the BBC Website:

Business Secretary Alok Sharma is self-isolating at home after becoming unwell in Parliament. Mr Sharma looked uncomfortable while taking part in a debate on Wednesday, mopping his brow several times with his handkerchief while speaking.
A spokesman said the MP for Reading West had been tested for coronavirus and had returned home. Mr Sharma was one of a handful of ministers to attend Tuesday's cabinet meeting in Downing Street in person.

Who else was at that Cabinet meeting? Well done Rees-Mogg.

I hope Mr Sharma makes a full and swift recovery. What could expose the futility of our approach more clearly. This epidemic requires a consistent, rational and painstaking bearing down on the means by which the virus spreads. At its most basic this requires that we do not associate in ways which promote the spread of the virus. We seem incapable of doing the basics at the heart of government and perversely pursue ways of working, which favour the spread.

I hope Mr Sharma makes a full and swift recovery. What could expose the futility of our approach more clearly. This epidemic requires a consistent, rational and painstaking bearing down on the means by which the virus spreads. At its most basic this requires that we do not associate in ways which promote the spread of the virus. We seem incapable of doing the basics at the heart of government and perversely pursue ways of working, which favour the spread.
I would add that Mr Sharma, on realising he felt ill, should have gone straight home, got tested and self isolated. If he was visibly unwell by that point, I would hazard a guess that he felt ill quite some time before so maybe shouldn't have even been there.

I would add that Mr Sharma, on realising he felt ill, should have gone straight home, got tested and self isolated. If he was visibly unwell by that point, I would hazard a guess that he felt ill quite some time before so maybe shouldn't have even been there.

I agree but am surprised at myself that I felt more sympathy for him. Perhaps because peer pressure might have worked on him, perhaps because he looks as if he has been saying things he didn't really agree with. He should have gone home.