Pre Season Friendlies 2021 | Page 15 | Vital Football

Pre Season Friendlies 2021

Regardless of how many first team players were missing for PNE they are still a Championship SQUAD.

You can only play the team put out in front of you and the fact that they didn't have all their first team out shouldn't take away from the fact that they were well beaten. Just to put things in context, their fans were very happy that they scored in the 87th minute, despite us having 8 academy players on the pitch at that time.

Very interesting how Darikwa splits opinion. I watched every game last season, and he frustrated me with his constant ability to give the ball away, like someone has said he is not a good enough defender for a team with top six ambitions.
I am prepared to give him another chance to change my mind, but nothing I've seen this week has altered my opinion. Club legend really where do you get it from lol are you putting him in the same bracket as Reece James ect

So, if Reece James is the guide then we can’t have many legends - Stuart Barlow, Peter Houghton, Pascal Chimbonda, Nick Powell???

Got to give the team information a mention after the PNE game. Against Stoke I hadn’t a clue who was who and put my criticism on here. So now praise and well done for better use of the big TV with teams put up with numbers ,which I could read on the red shirts, and changed as subs were made. I now have a much better idea of who our players are and who was doings what on the pitch. Hope they keep this going during the season with interruptions for highlights etc.

Indeed the visuals were much better, but I still couldn’t understand a word of the announcements …..either

(a) he’s an inveterate mumbler using a poor PA system….or….

(b) I’m a 63 year old fart with two hearing aids in ….which elevates my hearing from hopeless to just ‘crap’

Oh hang on, I think I know which one of those is true ….

Indeed the visuals were much better, but I still couldn’t understand a word of the announcements …..either

(b) I’m a 63 year old fart with two hearing aids in ….which elevates my hearing from hopeless to just ‘crap’

I can never understand why he, and a lot of radio stations to be fair, have fucking music playing in the background whilst they speak to their audience. It would be much better if he just turned that off whilst talking.

Which stand were you in Zeb ?

Agree on the announcer. He was still crap, and again talking over music is plain stupid and does not work. This is my view in West Stand central seat

I was in the west stand and at half time I went for a pint. To my amazement the beer taps had the warrior forthcoming fixtures attached to them. Anyone else notice that. The warriors are bloody good at promoting themselves.

Highlights

Watching that back we seemed to struggle defending set pieces. We'll need to tighten up on that with McGeady likely to be taking them next week.

Also their trialists with the long hair, Thomas, was quite good. If Preston don't give him a deal he could potentially be a decent pick up based on what we saw.

Got to give the team information a mention after the PNE game. Against Stoke I hadn’t a clue who was who and put my criticism on here. So now praise and well done for better use of the big TV with teams put up with numbers ,which I could read on the red shirts, and changed as subs were made. I now have a much better idea of who our players are and who was doings what on the pitch. Hope they keep this going during the season with interruptions for highlights etc.

TBH I sent an e.mail to Jason, the SLO, after the Stoke match about the lack of information and the use of the big screen and he replied immediately and sorted it. I sent him another e.mail yesterday thanking him for his efforts and he informed me that it had been hoped that the information would have been available on Tuesday but due to some technical issues it wasn't possible.

Watching that back we seemed to struggle defending set pieces. We'll need to tighten up on that with McGeady likely to be taking them next week.

Also their trialists with the long hair, Thomas, was quite good. If Preston don't give him a deal he could potentially be a decent pick up based on what we saw.
Ex Bolton academy lad Thomas. Plays for Bamber Bridge. Left Bolton for Burnley youth. Suffered with mental health problems so had time out of the game before going to Brig.

[QUOTE="king_dezeeuw06, post: 2948107, member:

Wyke - it's already clear Wyke is completely dependent on service and the one great ball put in by Assgaard he nearly scored from but the defender did very well to stop him with a last ditch tackle. Other than that he was not given any service so was never really in the game. He was playing against 2 very imposing centre halves but at his size you'd still expect Wyke to compete better and win more in the air than he did. His pressing from the front also was a bit slow and slack at times - which could be an issue with how we play. He's a bit the odd one out in our attacking players - with the rest being so much more mobile and energetic on and off the ball with the pressing. Not sure if he really fits the system in it's current form. We obviously bought him knowing you have to build a team around him but I do worry trying to play to Wykes strengths may not be playing to anyone .[/QUOTE]

I think the best way to get goals from Wyke is to play him as the focal point with Keane behind him and Edwards and Aasgard either side of Will.
Then all the play is directed to him.

Lang and Humphrys both have natural scoring instincts and will look to shoot themselves rather than pass to Wyke.

I can't see how Wyke, Lang and Humphrys wil fit into the same formation.

An interesting problem to have.

Wyke - it's already clear Wyke is completely dependent on service and the one great ball put in by Assgaard he nearly scored from but the defender did very well to stop him with a last ditch tackle. Other than that he was not given any service so was never really in the game. He was playing against 2 very imposing centre halves but at his size you'd still expect Wyke to compete better and win more in the air than he did. His pressing from the front also was a bit slow and slack at times - which could be an issue with how we play. He's a bit the odd one out in our attacking players - with the rest being so much more mobile and energetic on and off the ball with the pressing. Not sure if he really fits the system in it's current form. We obviously bought him knowing you have to build a team around him but I do worry trying to play to Wykes strengths may not be playing to anyone .

I think the best way to get goals from Wyke is to play him as the focal point with Keane behind him and Edwards and Aasgard either side of Will.

Lang and Humphrys both have natural scoring instincts and will look to shoot themselves rather than pass to Wyke.

An interesting problem to have.[/QUOTE]
Easy, Wyke and Humphries up top. That's two taken care of. Or 4-3-3 with them all on.
May be the end of the turgid stuff finally.

Wyke - it's already clear Wyke is completely dependent on service and the one great ball put in by Assgaard he nearly scored from but the defender did very well to stop him with a last ditch tackle. Other than that he was not given any service so was never really in the game. He was playing against 2 very imposing centre halves but at his size you'd still expect Wyke to compete better and win more in the air than he did. His pressing from the front also was a bit slow and slack at times - which could be an issue with how we play. He's a bit the odd one out in our attacking players - with the rest being so much more mobile and energetic on and off the ball with the pressing. Not sure if he really fits the system in it's current form. We obviously bought him knowing you have to build a team around him but I do worry trying to play to Wykes strengths may not be playing to anyone .

An interesting problem to have.[/QUOTE]

I think we probably need to play traditional wingers getting wide and going for crosses to play to Wykes strength but that would be a complete change of system.

As you say I dont think you can get the best out of Humphrys, Lang, Keane, Assgaard etc if you try to get the best out of Wyke and visa versa. On the face of it does seem like Wyke doesnt really fit into the system we play and other best players seem to suit.

That's not to say we can't solve that conundrum and he was a bad option - 30+ season striker can't be a bad thing but I think both player and the tactics may need to adapt a bit to work together.

An interesting problem to have.

I think we probably need to play traditional wingers getting wide and going for crosses to play to Wykes strength but that would be a complete change of system.

As you say I dont think you can get the best out of Humphrys, Lang, Keane, Assgaard etc if you try to get the best out of Wyke and visa versa. On the face of it does seem like Wyke doesnt really fit into the system we play and other best players seem to suit.

That's not to say we can't solve that conundrum and he was a bad option - 30+ season striker can't be a bad thing but I think both player and the tactics may need to adapt a bit to work together.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the tactics. Sick to death of the many variations of hanging strikers out to dry since the introduction of Jason Scotland all those years ago now. Only one has truly adapted and that was Sir William Grigg.

TBH I sent an e.mail to Jason, the SLO, after the Stoke match about the lack of information and the use of the big screen and he replied immediately and sorted it. I sent him another e.mail yesterday thanking him for his efforts and he informed me that it had been hoped that the information would have been available on Tuesday but due to some technical issues it wasn't possible.
Interesting how a big screen issue can be sorted out so quickly yet it took over a month to count 500 votes and still no confirmations on the potentially conflicted individuals appointment dates - roll on the 14th - they think they've swept it under a carpet - they haven't !

As you say I dont think you can get the best out of Humphrys, Lang, Keane, Assgaard etc
Really wondering if it'd be viable to play all 4 of them together, actually. Went back and checked lineups and couldn't find a single one that used a mid of Aassgaard-Keane-Lang.

These four provide the best football we can play but I reckon width could be an issue. Worth testing imo.